• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 derek

derek

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 01:36 PM

What is the correct batten size for supporting Redland 49 roof tiles? I am gettting conflicting views from different roofers. One is quoting for 38 x 19 mm, another 50 x 25 mm. Is the smaller batten size sufficient to support the weight and does it comply with building regs? Any help much appreciated.

#2 temp

temp

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 8,380 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 06:30 PM

Try contacting the makers. I think most tile manufactuers will issue a fixing specification based on your area.

Elsewhere Google found..
http://www.roofconsult.co.uk/articles/tiling/tips14.htm

Quote:

Since September 1997 it has been recommended that all battens used for roof tiles and slates should be a minimum of 25mm thick to allow the tile nail to get a full 25mm of grip. End Quote.

As for nailing the tiles.. It's not normal to nail every tile on a roof. The ratio of nailed to un-nailed rows depends on which part of the country you are in and how exposed your location is. Someone should check that the proposed nailing specification is suitable and that the roofer sticks to it rather than uses his "normal practice" if that means less nails. There is some guidance here..

http://www.monier.co.uk/literature/zonal-fixing-specification-tables/plain-tile-range.html

In recent years I've seen the odd article from insurance companies suggesting we may need use more nails in future because global warming could mean higher peak wind speeds.

(Message edited by Temp on June 03, 2009)

(Message edited by Temp on June 03, 2009)

#3 mike

mike

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 01:22 PM

Depends on rafter spacing (centres)..
Where 19 x 38 was common place..now it is recommened to use 25x38 or even 25x50 depending on centres.

And no 19x38 no longer complies

Simple ask roofer 1 to requote using 25x38 or 25x50 to get a comparable quote.