• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kevinr

kevinr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 04:43 PM

I Have now constructed the roof trusses and about to felt it. I will be using slates 250x500, what si the best way of setting out the batterns on the roof (Pitch 24 deg.) where the best way to start top of bottom in measuring out

#2 guyproos

guyproos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 09:54 AM

Its a bit difficult to describe. The batten spacing is basically: Length of slate - headlap / 2. The headlap will probably be 50mm.

You are going to want an even spacing all the way up the roof to avoid any awkward cutting. For a 500mm Slate your spacing is going to be 225mm. You can decrease this to suit your roof. Dont increase it though. You also have to allow for your eaves course at the bottom, and a course at the top.

The easiest way to get your head around it, is buy a handfull of the slates your going to use, and have a play with them on the ground to see how you lay them out. The most important thing, is that the bottom edge of a slate, should reach 50mm over the hole of the slate below it.

It does sound allot more complicated than it is. A couple of other things you should bear in mind before you start:

Sort the slates, keep the thick ones to the bottom of the roof, thinner as you go up. Depending on the variations, you should sort them into 3, maybe 2 piles, thick, thinner, thinnest. And lay them as that.

If you use more than one pallet of slates, mix them as you go. I.e lay 3 or 4 from one pallet, then 3 or 4 from another, if you just lay one pallet, and then the next you might see colour variations on the roof.

Any ideas what sort of slate your going to be using?

#3 mike

mike

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 04:45 PM

50mm is too short for slate or any other double lap tile.
for a 500x250 slate (most are pre holed these days your head lap would be either 75mm or 100mm more for flatter pitch

#4 guyproos

guyproos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 12:13 PM

Completley right sorry. 3" is 75mm not 50! 75mm headlap is most common with a 20" slate.