• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 salbal

salbal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 07:05 PM

I have just started to do some research in the most cost effective way of doing a loft conversion. We have a new baby on the way and therefore with my office in the house I have to make a decision. Either move the office out which means some expense or to do a Loft conversion which I have about 14 months to deliver. I have read a little bit about other people’s experience - However most of the examples of work done that I find, are for older properties and not on new properties. Our house is about 8 years old. I have done some drawings that you can see here

http://carbonexchanger.com/loft/MyLoftConversionIdea/tabid/96/Default.aspx

I will add to it as I build more and more information/prices etc... I want to know what is the best method of doing this with minimum impact since we dont intend to move out of the house whilst is going on. I dont want dormers etc... so skylight would be just fine. I have plenty of height and quite a large area to play with. I am looking for a method to do this that does the reinforcement to the joists and the structure without bringing the roof down.

Basically I am asking - Can this be done by doing the work inside and not from outside bringing the roof down? Tomorrow I will add some pictures from outside and hall way where the stairs will be so you have a better feel of what the challenge is. It is probably easier to get a quote from professionals. But I feel that I may be wasting their time since I want to do most of the work myself. I would only outsource the hard structural work.

Many thanks
Sal

#2 salbal

salbal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 08:17 PM

I just found this

http://www.telebeam.co.uk/

I have to check if it will work in my house, as you see my span is actually 840cm which is the maximum this clever system can cope with

I need to phone them tomorrow and find out where exactly I should be measuring.

Sal

#3 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 6,498 posts
  • LocationBridgnorth, Shropshire

Posted 26 February 2009 - 08:24 PM

"I want to know what is the best method of doing this with minimum impact since we dont intend to move out of the house whilst is going on... I am looking for a method to do this that does the reinforcement to the joists and the structure without bringing the roof down."

You really should read agb's comments in the string above concerning another loft conversion.

Sal, if you're serious about "minimum impact" and not bringing the roof down then get some professional advice ON SITE. Seriously, because I get the definite feeling that you're not really up to this kind of project. The drawing you've provided is of a trussed roof, you mess about with those at your peril unless you're prepared for MAJOR work. And try to get into the habit of working with mm.

Sorry.

#4 temp

temp

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 7,950 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 11:26 PM

New baby on the way and you think you have 14 months to deliver? :-)

#5 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 6,498 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 07:42 AM

Always a first time, Temp. lol. Although, Sal, keeping your legs clamped tightly together whilsty trying to rebuild your roof isn't the most sensible way to make an entry into the building industry or motherhood!!

#6 agb657

agb657

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts
  • LocationBristol

Posted 27 February 2009 - 09:50 AM

"New baby on the way and you think you have 14 months to deliver?"

sounds like a builder already Lol

#7 salbal

salbal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 11:45 AM

OK it is not going to be totally DIY :-)

@Joiner >> I completely agree >> I am not going to do it without getting an structure engineer involved in the first instance. last thing I want to happen is to bring the roof down on our head.

I just want to validate I want/what can be done/ before even calling anyone in. The drawigns are done in photoshop just for getting at least something on paper. They are approximate +/- 10cm which is no good for structure analysis.

I dont want to waste any professional's time - so I want to do as much of the research done before hand.

The second fix can take much longer as may be I do it myself with a friend's help.

With Regards to the "4 months to deliver" >> how I see it is to do the structure in the next 5 months. so minimm impact on the baby and mum.

inside the loft can take another 10 months. I dont mind since I hope to do it slowly with a mixture of professionals and myself.

May be you are right and I am dreaming. so that is why I am here asking :-)

Sal

#8 agb657

agb657

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts
  • LocationBristol

Posted 27 February 2009 - 12:05 PM

Hi Salbal

my advice is to call in an architect or plan drawer to take a quick look and explain your options, dont let anyone come who charges for an initial visit, you should get some advice on -site, for free. then post back and let us mull over the options.

your too far away for me but there may be someone on here that will take a look.

(Message edited by agb657 on February 27, 2009)

#9 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 6,498 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 03:29 PM

Sal, you're not dreaming, but remember the old adage - if you can pay for it, anything's possible.

What you're hoping to get involves major work. Your house is new and you will have an "estate roof", trussed rafters made of thin section and held together with nail-plates, designed to take the weight of your roof with the minimum amount of material, so designed to be effective at minimal cost. They get lateral stability from being diagonally braced together and using larger tiling battens and retain their strength as long as they're not messed with. Out of the roof and waiting around on site they're supposed to be stored in a particular way, handled in a particular way and fitted in a particular way, because they're actually quite fragile structures.

To end your misery and save you a LOT of time, take a look at:

http://www.tra.org.uk/pdf_files/pds8.pdf

And well done you for taking the p-taking on the chin and coming back smiling.

#10 temp

temp

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 7,950 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 09:36 PM

Is this a first baby or have you already got some? Personally I wouldn't plan on getting much done once baby arrives. My wife ended up sleeping whenever our twins were asleep be it night or day. Only way to get enough.

#11 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 6,498 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 08:46 AM

"But I feel that I may be wasting their time since I want to do most of the work myself. I would only outsource the hard structural work."

That's where our problem is, Sal, because 'most of the work' IS 'structural work'. All you'll be left to do is the decorating.

We are all really on your side!

#12 temp

temp

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 7,950 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 04:35 PM

Perhaps you could find a local Structural Engineer to both the drawings, calculations and give you a bit of supervision during the work. Basically to make sure the structure remains safe while you get from where it is now to the finished project. Have him write up a schedule of work and tell you at what stages you should call him back before proceeding.

I doubt you can do this single handed. Got a brother?

(Message edited by Temp on February 28, 2009)

#13 Guest_peter_a_*

Guest_peter_a_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2009 - 11:39 PM

Sals probably got several brothers . But all busy in corner shops no doubt !!
Funny how everyone asumes Sals a lady lol.

#14 temp

temp

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 7,950 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 10:09 AM

err. I meant for the extra hands. Not cause I thought Sal was a girl.

#15 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 6,498 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 10:21 AM

It's a bit like that old song about "Goodbye Sam, hello Samantha".

A good heads-up though Pete. You were on the ball there, mate.

New posters please note: Androgynous names should be accompanied with a gender label!

#16 Guest_peter_a_*

Guest_peter_a_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2009 - 04:03 PM

There you go with those big words again Dave !!.
How on earth can the spreads join in -if they dont understand them ?
Any more than 4 letters - and they are confused - especially if there is no 'F' at the begining.

#17 salbal

salbal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 04:03 PM

Many thanks All

I am now looking for local Structural engineers so to invite one to do the initial drawings done.

I think this would be useful in any event. Possibly the firm that is going to do it is going to say they need to do their own Structural analysis based on the way they are going to do the work.

I thought I show you the image of the roof and where I want the staircase to be placed.

Thanks for all your posts.

roof

landing

#18 salbal

salbal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 10:24 AM

It is Getting exciting now. I have booked the scaffolding for 1st of May. Telebeam is doing my structural drawings and submitting it for Building Regulation. I think I have found a plumber too to sort out the changes needed for the heating system.

Now I have to find a carpenter that can also follow the instructions for telebeam and help out with putting the staircase. I guess it is one man job for 4 weeks since I am here to help too - All of May -

Now I got to find this Carpenter. I had a quick look on the web, it looks most are either Roofers that want to do complete roofing. Or they are carpenter joiners. I am not sure where to look to find one.

Sal

#19 agb657

agb657

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts
  • LocationBristol

Posted 28 March 2009 - 11:23 AM

great stuff

let us know how the telebeam works out. just call in where you see work going on ,ask around ,look in the local paper.