• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 hockeynut

hockeynut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 03:36 PM

Hi, my first post here, probably the first of many, as I'm buying a Terrace house which needs a fair bit of renovation! :-)

The property I'm buying has a cellar, which has the old coal-chute at the front of the property, behind a small wall which is in front of the property.

I have a Motorbike, which is unlikely to fit down teh side alley, so I was thinking of using the small spaace at the front of the property to sink a ground anchor and keep my bike there. However, at the front of the property is that hatch, which is obviously raised.

I was wondering if there are any smart solutions to these hatches, as I gather I still need to make sure there is ventilation through it. I either want to reduce the footprint of this massively, so that I can store my bike, or find some smart solution that would also mean I'm able to create enough room to store my bike.

Thanks,
David

#2 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 7,302 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 10 May 2009 - 05:12 PM

Get someone to make a metal ramp to go over it. Fix the ramp down and you can lock the bike to the ramp. Cheaper than doing anything to the coal hole.

#3 temp

temp

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 09:29 PM

Might even be able to find something like this that fits..

http://www.secure-a-bike.com/

http://www.motosafe.co.uk/what-is-a-motosafe-c2.html

Perhaps need to raise it up on blocks to allow ventilation underneath?

#4 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 7,302 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:22 AM

In front of his house, Temp??

It's one of those terraced houses with the narrow bit between a low wall and the house, if the wall's still there. Either way, I think he'd like to keep the view out of his window.

(Message edited by joiner on May 11, 2009)

#5 hockeynut

hockeynut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:06 PM

Yes, I couldn't put something like that in front of the house, it would be a monstrosity. :-(

Joiner, I'm not quite sure how you mean, wouldn't it cause problems with water (rain) going down it?

#6 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 7,302 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:50 PM

Not really, it should be possible to make it fit OVER the existing cover.

What I had in mind was something along the lines of the bike stands that bike repair shops use to raise them to a working height. The one I remember seeing a few years ago folded almost flat, the bike was rolled onto it and then a simple lever arrangement lifted the bike to a height of about twelve inches and locked into place.

Think along the lines of the car ramps you can drive onto, only long enough to take your bike and with side plates to take the bike's parking thingies that fold down (having a senior moment, can't think what they're called - been a hard day). You should be able to get it custom made to fit any space or any shape you like, just a few bits of angle with a length of tread plate welded together. Actually, once the bike is padlocked to the stand no one is going to be taking it anywhere you don't want it to go.

#7 temp

temp

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 10:36 PM

Perhaps one of these with the wheels removed..

http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&q=motorbike%20trailer&cr=countryUK%7CcountryGB&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

#8 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 7,302 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 13 May 2009 - 05:32 PM

Good one, Temp. Knew you'd come good eventually. lol.