ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

PIR outside light wiring

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 daicaws

daicaws

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 10:04 PM

I would like to put up an outside light that can be operated by manual one gang switch and PIR circuit. I have knowledge of how to switch it conventionaly, but unable to understand how to incorperate the two? do I need to invole a permanent 2nd live to the light here?

#2 pritch

pritch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 10:11 PM

yep so you need a three core and earth cable going to your light one neutral one permanent live and one switched live.
ps. just thought...most sec lights now only need the switched live coz you just leave it on for normal operation or switch it on and off within 5 secs for it to stay on.

#3 daicaws

daicaws

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 07:40 PM

OK. Pretty sure I've got it sussed. Thanks pritch.

#4 Guest_redgreekofile_*

Guest_redgreekofile_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2007 - 10:13 PM

I have two external PIR security lights fed from the fuse box inside the garage, to a switch (for normal operation and always on) then onto to the first light and on to the second light. The first lamp needs replacing coz the contacts have corroded and burnt out.
I've bought a new lamp of the same spec but the wiring seems to be different!
The existing lamp put two reds, two yellows, two earth and to blues into the four terminals in the block.
The new lamp has four terminals which have different contact cables coming from the other side of the block.
1 - should I be using three core and earth, and
2 - where do the red, blue, yellow and earth cables go.
The instructions do not cover 3 core & earth.