ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Wiring up a PIR sensor

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jimmy_*

Guest_jimmy_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2003 - 05:10 PM

i got it !
red to red .
green to green
and BLUE TO BIT'S
BE CAREFULL OUT THERE

#2 Guest_Nigel Schwarzer_*

Guest_Nigel Schwarzer_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2004 - 10:29 PM

I've tried to wire a pir to an outdoor light but the pir doesnt seem to work. When i looked inside the pir there was the live neutral and earth and a fourth 1 called LS which i believe to be the light sensor. The problem is that there wasnt any instructions so i'm a bit confused as to the wiring of it because i've tried wiring it all ways but to no avail.

#3 t3zza36

t3zza36

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 10:00 PM

i have a security light with pir ,it has a terminal block with with 4 connectors in the first 3 straight forward brom,blue,yellow/green. instructions say put nothin in last block but...in cable from swith i have 4 wires red,blue,yellow,yellow/green. i am assuming that 1 of those wires goes into last block??

#4 brian

brian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 08:49 AM

Hi
All the PIRs I’ve ever come across have four terminals (Usually a “chocolate block” screw type – these have a central barrel with a clamping screw at each end and are insulated by an all over plastic covering). They are incoming Live, incoming Neutral, incoming Earth and finally outgoing switched live via the PIR

The incoming mains wiring, which currently (Until next year) is Red – Live which should come via a switch located inside the building and giving isolation and complete control over the final load and PIR, and is connected to the PIRs Brown terminal. Black – Neutral to the PIRs Blue. Green/yellow (Or bare copper wire sleeved in G/Y tubing) – Earth to the PIRS Green/Yellow and the fourth wire is the PIRs live output or switched live (It becomes live when the PIR detects heat and turns itself on) This is connected to the final lamps live terminal. - Hence four terminals/wires.
I cannot really understand why you would have four incoming wires to the PIR, unless the PIR is remote from the light fitting, then normally the Yellow wire would act as the PIR switched live and this goes to the live terminal of the final lamp. If so, it should be sleeved RED.
I would advise you to check with the PIRs instruction leaflet and if you’re still not sure employ an electrician.
Brian

#5 grumpy_grandad2000

grumpy_grandad2000

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 03:59 PM

Can any one tell me if it is possible to connect a sencer to a security light that has a built in one already. I have blind spots that need to be covered. Thank you
Grumpygrandad

#6 parrish

parrish

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 07:52 PM

Hello Grumpy

It is possible to buy a wider range external PIR. However you may need a qualified spark to fit it for you. May I suggest an external lighting system from a company called GJD. With this system you can have multiple PIRs and Halogens/Lights.

Regards
Parrish

#7 grumpy_grandad2000

grumpy_grandad2000

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 11:19 PM

Thank you very much for your quick response, that helps a great deal, best wishes. (GRUMP)

#8 badger3009

badger3009

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 08:09 PM

please could somebody help me i am trying to wire up a set of low voltage garden lights to a pir sensor so that when i walk up the path the lights come on but i would also like them to come on for 2 hours a night with a timer without the assistance of the pir is there anyway possible i could do this.
regards
richard

#9 Guest_cwatters_*

Guest_cwatters_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2006 - 03:21 PM

Yes. You connect the timer in parallel with the PIR so that if either is ON power is delivered to the lights. If you want a manual switch as well that also goes in parallel.

Can't draw it very well in text but something like...

Live
|
|--PIR-----|
|--Timer---|----- transformer --- lamps ---- Neutral
|--Switch--|

Other connections may be necessary depending on the details of the equipment but that's the basic idea.

...of course Building Regs these days don't allow you to install 12V lights on your own (except as part of a prewired set and only then in certain places - eg not outdoors or in a kitchen/bathroom).

#10 Guest_cwatters_*

Guest_cwatters_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2006 - 03:25 PM

Sorry thats not quite right... The Neutral will connect to the transformer and two 12V wires go from the transormer to the lamps. Can't draw it in text easily.

#11 parrish

parrish

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 08:13 PM

Hello Badger

Use the link below for a rough diagram of what I think you need.

http://www.hayesdesigns.co.uk/diagram.doc

Regards
Parrish

#12 parrish

parrish

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 08:58 PM

Badger

The PIR sensor is shown in the diagram as being inside, obviously this has to be outside.

Regards
Parrish

#13 dilligaf

dilligaf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 07:17 AM

hello grumpy, silly question, but do you really need to add an extra sensor. if you do, buy a descent 1,as adding another may still not solve the problem as PIRs rely on heat changes across their field of view, so if any1 should approach from directly infront at slow enuf pace, they may not work. use to try it when fitted a few that i installed. goto (neweys, cef, etc) and ask them for what type sensors they have, they will explain best for your situation. if you want the light to come on at a predetermined spot from the house, get a beam sensor across the area, harder for burglars to see.

#14 completely_lost

completely_lost

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 02:50 PM

can i wire in an external security light thru an existing indoor light switch? if so how?
regards.
completely_lost

#15 Guest_buildersmate_*

Guest_buildersmate_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2006 - 09:04 PM

Not normally very easy, because the mains feed runs to the indoor light before running down the wall to the switch you refer to, before running back to the light pendent to pick up the neutral (brown, or black if old cabling) back to the CU. In short, you have a switched neutral at the light switch, not a live feed. So you can't drive another light off it.
You need to find a live cable you can tap off - and that's going to be up at the light pendent, not at the switch.

#16 Guest_buildersmate_*

Guest_buildersmate_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2006 - 09:05 PM

Sorry, neutral's blue, not brown. Don't know what I was thinking.

#17 boblucas

boblucas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 02:56 PM

I already have two lights one with PIR fitted which also switches on the other light, i now want to fit a pit to this other light so that they both come on from different directions, could anyone please advise i have a stand alone pir without any instructions, can i wire this into the light without pir at the moment

#18 Guest_cwatters_*

Guest_cwatters_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2007 - 05:13 PM

It's next to impossible to answer that in writing. I recommend getting an electrician in to do it. Anyway I believe outdoor electrics are now covered by the building regs and must be done by a qualified person. If you do them yourself you are meant to make a Building Control Application/notice. Google for a "guide to Part P".