ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Conservatory Vs extension-Confused

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jassi

jassi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 03:57 PM

Hello,

I recently got a quote from local company for 3x3 conservatory and quote was around 8K, and i found out from a valuation company that conservatory does not add much value to the house. Now i am thinking if i build an extension with proper concrete structure it will cost me around 8K+ plus building regulations around £800 . So i am now confused whether to go for extension or concervatory, and which one actually adds more value?

Appreciate comments from experts..
thanks
jassi

#2 temp

temp

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,200 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 06:54 PM

Generally an extension that adds a bedroom or a missing room adds more value than a conservatory. By "missing room" I mean something like an upstairs bathroom when there wasn't one.

Whas't the area like? If all the houses are similar then extending might not add much value because people who can afford to pay more might not be looking to move to that area. On the otherhand if all the houses in your street have already been extended and yours hasn't then extending might add more.

Have you considered asking a local estate agent? They are generally clued up about this sort of thing.

#3 jassi

jassi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 03:33 PM

Hello,

Thank you for your reply,actually property valuation agent mentioned to me that conservatory will not add value unless it is structural extension. As cost is similar for building so we are confused like what to do. All around my area its mostly conservatory..
i appreciate your response.

#4 temp

temp

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,200 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 07:43 PM

There are two ways to do a "conservatory"...

The standard way to do it is to tack a glass structure on the back of the house. The problem is that the Building regs require all habitable rooms to be insulated to a certain degree. Unfortunately it's generally impossible to get a standard conservatory to comply because glass is a poor insulator. Even triple glazing lets through something like five times the heat that a cavity wall does. The normal solution is to retain the existing external wall and door between the house and conservatory. This means that it can in effect be treated as a greenhouse as far as the building regs are concerned. Many conservatory companies try to turn this into a virtue by saying "most conservatories don't need building control approval". The downside is that this approach looks and feels tacked on and it might not get used much in winter.

An alternative approach is to build a something more like a sun room integrated with another room like a kitchen. For example no wall/door between the two. This new extended room would have to comply with the building regs re insulation and this may mean you can't have as much glass as you would like. However by carefull design you can still build a nice room and it will be easier to heat in winter than a tacked on conservatory.

The latter might have been what the agent was referring to when he said a "conservatory will not add value unless it is structural extension".

#5 jassi

jassi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 02:31 PM

Hello,

Thank you for the information, basically its clear from your response that it is better to build a sunroom rather than conservatory, provide cost are similar and one is ready for hassels related to building regs. Can you suggest any website to get more information like what adds true value to property and how?

regards
Jassi

#6 caliwag

caliwag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,834 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 30 June 2008 - 04:04 PM

I think you could reasonably pick up a copy of "move or Improve" from the same stable as Homebuilding and Renovating as they do cover such comparisons.
It does make sense to build a "sunroom" which should have an insulated tiled or slated (or similar) roof. An insulated floor would be appropriate, though there are differing views on the greenest way to do this...depending on orientation, heating room use etc...and of course the walls up to sill height. Keep them fairly low though to give you a feel that you are still part of the garden. Take a look at www.greenbuildingforum.co.uk gor discussions.
I think you might find a sunroom a bit more expensive than a conservatory, but take a look in your local free press for establshed builders that offer such work could well be bread and butter these days...it is here in York!

#7 temp

temp

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,200 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 08:21 PM

What he said.

At the end of the day it comes down to what you want it for and how much you are prepared to spend. "Habitable" extensions/sun rooms are generally quite a bit more expensive than non-habitable conservatories.

Take the foundations for example...A non habitable conservatory might get away with a simple slab of concrete and no insulation whereas a habitable extension built with brick and glass walls, tiled roof and velux windows would need proper foundations and insulation in the floor to meet the regs. Between the two you have lots of people putting heating in conservatories to try and make them useable in winter - with varying degrees of success and at some cost to run.

(Message edited by temp on June 30, 2008)

#8 prodgers

prodgers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 11:31 AM

Yep, given a choice, & given roughly equal costs, I'd go for an extension over a conservatory everytime! ;)

#9 LouisBerlin

LouisBerlin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 09:41 AM

Hey, howdy!
I know that the conservatories can cost from £3000- £4000 to, well, that depends upon what else you'd like to have in the room. Not very sure about the quote that you received and what they are providing but I'd say that it depends upon you how much you'd really like to shell out.
Conservatories can have extreme temperatures- very hot and very cold depending upon the seasons. However, they have their own beauty attached to them and some would be lured by the aesthetic value that you'd get as an addition to the extension. I'd had one previously and it was fine. I could use it for 3 seasons without much problem. They have their pros and cons everywhere. However, if you're ready to spend and add some real value then I'd go with a real extension.
Nevertheless, if you wish to go with the conservatory and need assistance then call up these guys: [advertising link deleted by moderator]. They have some good services.
Hope this helps!

Edited by jsharris, 04 April 2016 - 09:48 AM.

#10 temp

temp

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,200 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 09:51 AM

Old thread alert.