• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 not_an_expert

not_an_expert

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 04:06 PM

I have a gap of about an inch and a half tapering to nothing along about a metre stretch of my skirting board between the wooden floor and the skirting board. Not sure what I can do to fill this gap, or if I should at all (ventilation etc). Would one of those expanding fillers do the job sufficiently or should I try to fill the gap with a piece of wood cut to size. Obviously the filler would be easier but I suppose the wood would look better if done properly and painted. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

#2 keith

keith

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 07:11 PM

1.5 inches. Has this always been like that???

#3 not_an_expert

not_an_expert

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 11:40 AM

Yeah, since I moved in anyway, there is a slight slope to the floor because of the gap.

#4 Guest_flynnyman_*

Guest_flynnyman_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2005 - 01:56 AM

if you can get access below the floor it might be worth checking if any of your floor joists have dropped, i cant see the skirting being fitted like that originally.

#5 bobg

bobg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 03:01 PM

There is a gap because of the slope you mean.The chances of the skirting having risen are nil so Id assume the floors dropped.
That needs looking into first,1.5 inch is a fair drop.
sort out that and then fit new skirting.

#6 not_an_expert

not_an_expert

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 03:51 PM

Thanks everyone, the gap is because of the slope, I'm pretty sure of that now. I'll lift some floorboards and have a look underneath to see if a joist has dropped.

#7 cdaviesuk

cdaviesuk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 06:00 PM

We want to buy a house that unfortunatley has a dropped floor - same as above. The surveyors report has failed and now we need to pay for a structural engineers report. Any ideas what causes this? There is no cracks so we don't think it's subsidence.

#8 cdaviesuk

cdaviesuk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 06:06 PM

Forgot to mention that the floor is concrete - not wooden floor boards.

#9 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 5,963 posts
  • LocationBridgnorth, Shropshire

Posted 20 August 2009 - 06:10 PM

Assume the same reason as the original poster (OP) and do the same thing as the OP, get the floor up and look.

It doesn't necessarily mean that there is anything under there that will cost an arm and a leg. I've fixed just such a problem (some years ago now) by putting in a sleeper wall and cutting off the rotten ends of the suspended floor joists where they went into the outer wall. The whole job was done in a day and a half.