ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Wireless Alarms

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jj_*

Guest_jj_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2003 - 12:17 AM

Fitted a number of "Wired" and "Wireless" alarms. I prefer a wired alarms. I have only fitted AIE wireless alarms ( see http://www.aeisecurity.com/SG5850.html ) Had no problem with them and they work.

Wired alarms give you greater flexibility with an endless array of attachments and accessories(made by many manufacturers) more discrete and greater choice of p.i.r's (curtain, hall, pet, kitchen, conservatory ...etc etc) The latest wired alarms use a single 4 core cable leaving the panel and each set of contacts, pir etc will have a identity 'biscuit' fitted, where usually you would use a 6core cable for each device.

Whatever alarm you choose, I strongly suggest you also fit a speech dialler to call a neighbour, family and mobile !! A bell box with a flashing light is a great deterrent but that does not put off a determined, often drug crazed, thief and how often do you investigate an house alarm if you hear one ? for the sake of 50 quid fit one foe extra piece-of-mind.

Mine called me whilst on holidayin the Canaries !! but that was the neighbour feeding the cat, didn't switch the alarm off in time !!

#2 Guest_weed_e_*

Guest_weed_e_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2003 - 10:07 PM

Does`nt look like people are reading this page anymore but here goes anyway.

I`ve been fitting , repairing & servicing alarm systems for about 14 years , I would say 98% of alarms i`ve installed have been hard wired coz i feel in more control of the system , where as with radio systems alot of how it behaves is out of my control.R.F interferance can play havock with your reciver,but if its just for yourself & you dont have call-outs to worry you,you should be fine (just dont go for those cheap n` nasty ones , I pay about £300 for a system with 3 P.I.R`s , 2 door contacts , keypad & bellbox(which is hardwired)

A few years ago i fitted 1 of them solar powered systems as the guy lived 5 floors up,i had to lean out of his window to fit the bellbox,so hiding the cable to it would have been imposible.It worked fine (to my surprise)& i have serviced 3 times now & is still grafting like new ,i change the batteries at time of service(apart from the batteries there`s not much else to service)

I hope any of this , is any help , to any body

(or just knowing someone read it would be nice)

#3 Guest_weed_e_*

Guest_weed_e_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2003 - 10:26 PM

Oh! , I nearly forgot , the communicators are a good idea (like ii said)
they even send sms texts now , so if your alarm is screaming it`s bollocks off whilst your house is getting screwed you have the choice to read the text at a more convenient time {:¬!

#4 Guest_CopKilla_*

Guest_CopKilla_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2003 - 09:12 AM

You are full of crap Loser!!!!!

#5 Guest_masterbuilder_*

Guest_masterbuilder_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2004 - 05:10 PM

wickes do some good value ones

#6 tonymar

tonymar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 04:20 PM

I Have an auto dial alarm , it was easy to fit with wireless sensors and a solar bell box.

No problems so far its been in two years ans only had 2 false alarms .

The auto dialer is hard wired but I noticed the more modern ones use a sim card so no need for a land line , has any one tried that type , are they any good ?

Tony Agost Spain