ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

CCTV

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 steve_h

steve_h

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 08:31 PM

Anyone advise on cctv systems ?

#2 Guest_cwatters_*

Guest_cwatters_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2006 - 08:46 PM

I don't know about CCTV but the "new kid on the block" are IP cameras (also called network cameras). These connect to wired or wireless network rather than coax. Some have built in web servers so you can see what your camera sees from any PC or smart phone anywhere in the world. Some will send you email or text messages you when they detect motion. To record the images you use the hard drive or DVD in a PC rather than a stand alone VCR/DVD recorder.

#3 steve_h

steve_h

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 09:48 PM

I just wanted some advice for the farm next door.
2 external cameras to overlook farm entrances with decent night vision
Nothing too hi tech
Something up to about £500

#4 mattc

mattc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 04:52 PM

The best cameras to use are plug n play cameras. Very easy to set up (2 leads to connect at each end. You can get weatherproof ones with built in infa red nightvision (called bullet cameras). They can be plugged straight into a digital video recorder (dvr) which can record continuously or on motion detection, displayed on a tv and can also set off an alarm if appropriate.

Two companies I have used and would recommend are y3kcctv.com and cctv-centre.co.uk.

A DVR starts from just under £200 and cameras start from £50 upwards depending on quality and how far the infa red needs to see.

Hope this helps.

#5 harris01

harris01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 07:40 PM

HI Mattc

Thanks for sharing the vital info here with us ..... i was really concerned about it ... Thanks again

#6 matilda

matilda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 06:49 PM

We have it and it's working very well.

#7 prodgers

prodgers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 10:18 AM

Sounds good, have thought about CCTV more than once in the past, but never quite got round to it. Is it possible to get these cameras set up so they'll track motion as well?

#8 craigskelly

craigskelly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 02:08 PM

You can get CCTV systems that will follow movement but these are much more expensive. If you just want to record on alarm, you can get standalone detectors that connect into the back of the digital recorder (if the unit supports that function).

#9 Guest_peter_a_*

Guest_peter_a_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2008 - 05:06 PM

Just make sure you point the camera at your neighbours house (especially their front door).
Every time they walk out - they will always look at it -- its real funny .

#10 kanneii

kanneii

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 04:24 PM

Mattc & Craigskelly that was great help...can anyone come up with the best technology at affordable rates?

#11 wilsonmian

wilsonmian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 06:10 PM

Prodgers hey guy you gave a enjoying suggestion to spend the free time for sake of fun i gonna try it............