9 replies to this topic

#1 foxdog

foxdog

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 10:36 AM

Hi
Where my new extension meets the existing house on one side the outer course runs up the old brickwork and the inner block course buts up inside the opening of some existing patio doors.

We are leaving the patio door in as late as possible so the blockwork is dog toothed up that side

I Know the usual method for inserting the DPC is the cut through the existing brickwork upwards between the new cavity and insert the DPC.

If i do this the cut is only 1 inch from the edge of the patio door opening could i run the dpc up the side of the opening when i install the blockwork

READING THIS IS AS CLEAR AS MUD i'LL TRY AND UPLOAD A PICTURE

#2 foxdog

foxdog

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 10:52 AM

Hope this helps any advise welcomed thanks in advance

(Message edited by foxdog on May 31, 2008)

#3 brickie

brickie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 06:41 AM

What's happenning eventually to your patio door opening?

#4 foxdog

foxdog

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 04:06 PM

Hi Brickie

It will just be an opening into the new extension a wide archway

#5 brickie

brickie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 06:00 AM

so where that blockwork is currently toothed it be extended to meet up and tie in with your existing internal wall?

#6 robertbowyer

robertbowyer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 07:47 AM

and outer wall needs chopping back to keep the cavity continous.

#7 foxdog

foxdog

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 01:56 PM

Could I run a DPC up behind the blockwork on the internal edge of where the patio door is and leave the existing cavity alone I know keeping the cavity continuous is the best option but I am looking for a way around that if possible

Thanks for the advice so far

#8 brickie

brickie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 04:26 PM

I suppose you could -why don't you want to cut the brickwork back? Are you worried about the lintol bearing? (the lintol above the existing patio door)

#9 foxdog

foxdog

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 05:44 PM

Hi brickie
Im doing all the work myself at weekends and travel away during the week. Cutting away the brick work would mean removing the Patio door now, I want to leave this to as late as possible as my wife is worried about security if I am away also we are toying with the idea of re submitting the plans and plan to installing an RSJ spaning a 4metre gap where the patio door brick pillar and kitchen window are at present I don't really want to mess with the integraty of the existing wall if we decide to do this

(Message edited by foxdog on June 05, 2008)

#10 brickie

brickie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 04:48 PM

It's slightly difficult to be certain but looking at your photo again it seems like the brickwork beside the patio door ends pretty much in line with where your new brickwork will abut ie once your patio door is removed you may have a continuous cavity