• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pboropaul

pboropaul

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:50 PM

Hi, can any of you good chaps give a rough idea of cost to cut out a new standard size doorway in to a 500cm stone wall, fit stone lintel, supply and fit door frame & make good internally? We are supplying the door so it's really just labour and lintel/door frame cost. Northamptonshire area. Many thanks! Paul

#2 brickie

brickie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 11:20 AM

I can say with some certainty it's between £1000 and £1,000,000.00 (plus vat).
Sorry to be sarcy,bored doing my own kitchen waiting for a job to start. Why not get a couple of quotes locally?

#3 Guest_peter_a_*

Guest_peter_a_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2009 - 07:10 PM

BUT - he's supplying the door , surely it cuts the price in half ?.duh !!

#4 lahaye

lahaye

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 09:15 PM

hi, i have just recently gained diploma level one in brickwork and am currently working a construction company in luton. not really getting to do any brickwork and need to do this to get up to speed. anyone know of any companies where they take people on at this level. cheers

#5 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationBridgnorth, Shropshire

Posted 26 September 2009 - 08:38 AM

You need first to find a company that's managed to survive the last twelve months, let alone one that's taking on newly qualified brickies. You're not the first to ask that question on here and the answer is always going to be the same - take on the small jobs for family, friends, neighbours; stick a card in the local newsagents saying you're prepared to take on piddly little jobs like garden walls, either construction or repair... You get the idea? You have to start somewhere and at your level you have the competence and just need to develop the speed that comes with technique and, as you say, you're only going to get that with practice.

You're lucky to be employed. Try to curb the impatience and the chance will come. You'll probably find that you're being eased in to the job - most guys started out that way. Just keep asking and keep showing willing. Start to get too pissed off and showing it and the start of your self-employment won't be at a time of your choosing!

#6 lahaye

lahaye

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 09:14 AM

thanks for the advise mate. know i am luckly to have a job. i have been laid off 2 times over past 3 years.will put an advert in the newsagents and see what happens.

#7 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationBridgnorth, Shropshire

Posted 26 September 2009 - 11:09 AM

Best of luck.