ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

French/Spanish forums.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ralph2

ralph2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 01:28 PM

I am a 45 year old joiner with partner and two kids and we are looking at moving to either France or Spain in a couple of years time.I have spent the last year extending our house and adding a loft conversion here in Nottingham. I have only ever done joinery work before so I have really enjoyed doing this work myself. It will take another year to completely re-vamp the rest of the house before selling it and getting as much equity out of it as possible.The knock on effect is that we now want to get one or two run down places in France or Spain to do up. Could anyone help me with sites or forums that might help with the move.
Thanks for any help in advance.
Great site, good to read the banter between trades. The site has helped me no end in the last year.
Ralph.

#2 bobg

bobg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 03:39 PM

I can give you some advice having spent 7 yrs there(also a joiner).
Make sure you move into a heavily british/dutch area as thats all the work there.
Take on maintenance jobs(theyre crap but B and B money.
Be prepared with 1 yrs back up money for living costs.
Dont do work on the cheap just to get work youll never get a good rate again.(the word spreads fast)
Dont rely on the French,any friendly ones at the start ask yourself what they can gain from it.
Never buy from/use a 'brother/nephew'of a frenchman you meet.
Learn french BEFORE you go.
Also living in Nottingham just now but off again soon,the frogs arnt half as bad as they are made out to be.

#3 ralph2

ralph2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 11:27 PM

Thanks for the reply Bobg, I appreciate the realistic answer. Are you off back to France or elsewhere in Europe?
We've had enough of the UK for now, the property prices out in France obviously appeal but the amount of work I imagine is available in Spain is also calling.