ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Airtight Details Design Guide

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 PeterW

PeterW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 12:37 PM

With all the talk of tapes etc, is there a definitive guide on what should be sealed, how and where ..??

Looking at a lot of the ProClima videos it shows timber frame with airtight membranes on the inside and nothing that I can see about how to do a decent detailed joint at window reveals with blockwork, especially where the insulated cavity is showing.

Windows and doors seem a given - as do penetrations through walls, but what about wall to ceiling and wall to floor junctions ..? I would expect the plaster skim to fix the ceiling detail, but what about the floor..?

Robust Details seems to concentrate on sound rather than thermal details - is there a good place to look as I'm always a little suspect of manufacturers as they have a vested interest in selling their products.

#2 Woodgnome

Woodgnome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 12:46 PM

The insulated Cavity in a block wall should be closed. Then its a case of taping between frames and wall.
"Tony tray" for first floor joists/ ceiling / wall. Tapes plastered in for floor/ wall junct.
That's on a masonry build.

#3 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 30 April 2016 - 01:07 PM

It would be good if there was a definitive guide on this. I believe that the AECB and the PHI have produced some guidance, but what is really needed is a set of standard details, with illustrations, for each build type.

This lack may contribute in part as to why we see so much poor detailing in big developments, and why airtightness is seen by many of the big builders as a potential problem that they have to spend a lot of time on on the one house in twenty or whatever that they build that has to have an air test.

#4 JmS

JmS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 01:22 PM

POPULAR

Not that I have any skill or experience with tape I will also take photos when sorting out my windows this summer when it comes to the taping to my blockwork. I would say I'll video it but I'm not the best when it comes to being clear and concise and add a camera I'd be worse :lol: I'll do a few windows first with photos and put them on here and then if anyone gives me the thumbs up that it at least looks to be a reasonable job I'll try and do a video or 2. You might even get me and the girlfriend arguing as we inevitably do when it comes to DIY :D

Edited by JmS, 30 April 2016 - 03:54 PM.

#5 declan52

declan52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts
  • LocationCo. armagh

Posted 30 April 2016 - 01:25 PM

A sort of guide here but its more based around the products they sell but covers the main points.
http://www.cleanener...products-house/

#6 Crofter

Crofter

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 03:08 PM

Is it OK to use your VCB as the airtightness layer? I am planning on doing this for the walls and vaulted ceiling.

#7 Woodgnome

Woodgnome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 03:43 PM

You can get some details on the GBS blogs By Bill Butcher on masonry built houses.
Lancaster Co-Housing have some others.
http://www.pmcarchit...ousing-project/

Edited by Woodgnome, 30 April 2016 - 03:48 PM.

#8 gravelld

gravelld

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 05:40 PM

Search for Paul Jennings' presentations, some methodologies etc there.

#9 tonyshouse

tonyshouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts
  • LocationThames Valley

Posted 30 April 2016 - 07:51 PM

Yes you can use a vb as your air tightness layer, be sure that it joins the elements

#10 Crofter

Crofter

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 08:21 PM

Thanks for that. I am hoping (naively??) that an all timber build with the VCB as the airtight layer will be simpler than a part-masonry build where you are trying to stick things to blockwork. I admit I am still some way from this stage of the build so haven't given it a huge amount of thought yet.

#11 recoveringacademic

recoveringacademic

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,343 posts
  • LocationLancaster, Lancashire

Posted 02 May 2016 - 06:41 PM

View PostPeterW, on 30 April 2016 - 12:37 PM, said:

With all the talk of tapes etc, is there a definitive guide on what should be sealed, how and where ..??

Phhhh. It's yet anther thing I (we) need to get a checklist together on innit?

#12 PeterW

PeterW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 06:51 PM

You write it and I'll proof read it ... :-)

#13 recoveringacademic

recoveringacademic

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,343 posts
  • LocationLancaster, Lancashire

Posted 03 May 2016 - 06:51 AM

View PostPeterW, on 02 May 2016 - 06:51 PM, said:

You write it and I'll proof read it ... :-)

Thanks. I'll do my best.
It's the kindness of people like you that keeps this place going.
Ian

#14 PeterW

PeterW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 07:16 AM

I'll help ... If I do the headings and you can fill in the blanks...

I've spent some time this weekend looking at details on manufacturers websites and it's all different - basically there is no real detailed drawings and they only seem to concentrate on the product not the full construction method.

We can always start with the Tony Tray and work up from that ..!

#15 Trw144

Trw144

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 08:03 AM

Can you two hurry up and finish this checklist. I could do with it for the weekend!

#16 tonyshouse

tonyshouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts
  • LocationThames Valley

Posted 03 May 2016 - 08:05 AM

The checklist I use is making sure that whatever the barrier is is joined to the next element, wall and ceiling, wall and window, floor and sill, all holed and penetrations joined to it and themselves sealed.

Edited by joiner, 03 May 2016 - 08:32 AM.
Typo