ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

I Went To The Builders Merchant To Buy Air Tightness Tape.

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Triassic

Triassic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  • LocationCumbria

Posted 29 April 2016 - 06:50 AM

I ran out of air tightness tape, so I popped into town to buy some more, on the way I was was considering where to start my quest, given that air tightness is pretty standard nowerdays.

Firs place I asked, I was presented with duct tape.
Second place, don't stock it, told - "not much call for it and why not use foam?"
Third place, I was offered a silver foil type tape, along with the comforting words, "this is what everyone uses". The roll of silver foil tape was unbranded without packaging, so not really sure what it was!
Fourth place, I was offered Garrilar Tape?
Fifth place offered me coffee and a donut, I accepted, then gave up and went home.

Edited by Triassic, 29 April 2016 - 07:24 AM.

#2 Alphonsox

Alphonsox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts
  • LocationCounty Down, NI and Forest of Dean, England

Posted 29 April 2016 - 07:00 AM

The silver foil tape was aluminium tape for sealing ducting (as opposed to cloth based duct tape) We have been using it on some of the tricky bits of the MVHR system.
http://www.ductstore...dual_Rolls.html

The real airtightness tape is a lot cheaper from Germany, but postage is likely to be pricey if you just need a single roll.

#3 gravelld

gravelld

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 08:34 AM

I've never ever seen it in a builders merchant. I thought you just had to buy it from abroad, Germany or Ireland?

#4 bitpipe

bitpipe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 747 posts
  • LocationBerkshire

Posted 29 April 2016 - 08:39 AM

http://www.airtightt...CFQae2wodB9wJEg

#5 Triassic

Triassic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  • LocationCumbria

Posted 29 April 2016 - 09:30 AM

With air tightness being a Building Regs requirement, I foolishly thought that by now, at least one of the five builders merchants would stock basic air tightness products. When air tightness products are best and most cheaply purchased from Germany, it says something about build standards here in the UK.

Mind you, the Brexit team say we'll be better off, because we can get rid of all these silly regulations.

#6 gravelld

gravelld

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 10:06 AM

As the air permeability requirements are so lax you can bodge around them with a bit of foam and sealant short term. Therefore tape isn't required.

Remember the requirement - 10 m³/h/m²@50Pa - isn't much better than what is "taken to be" the average air permeability, which is hand-waivingly said to be 12. Not sure how they derived that.

Edited by gravelld, 29 April 2016 - 10:08 AM.

#7 daiking

daiking

Advanced Member

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts
  • LocationSouth Manchester

Posted 29 April 2016 - 10:46 AM

Builders merchants are good for nothing except picking up sacks of illiterate morons and boxes of hairy arse cracks.

#8 Trw144

Trw144

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 05:25 PM

There was some relatively cheap pro clima tape from Ireland on ebay. I needed mine quickly so ended up paying about £7 a roll more on the basis I could get what I wanted ready for next week.

#9 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 29 April 2016 - 05:55 PM

Every serious low energy house builder seems to import the stuff. Ireland is not a bad place to look for stockists, though, as their building regs are tougher than ours (in fact in Dublin new houses have to meet the PassivHaus spec) so there tends to be a better choice of materials there. We bought a lot of stuff from Ireland, and despite the shipping cost it still came in cheaper than getting it from the UK or elsewhere in Europe.

#10 ProDave

ProDave

Self build in the Highlands

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts
  • LocationScottish Highlands

Posted 29 April 2016 - 06:10 PM

When I need some more, I will approach my local eco house builder. I think they import a lot of stuff from Germany. I am pretty sure my wood fibre board, sourced through them, came from Germany and I am absolutely certain my recent purchase of render products did and all tha packaging is written in German. They use a lot of air tightness tape in their own work so I hope they will sell some to me. (it helps I personally know the director of this company as I am sure retail sales is not really their business)

#11 frogeye

frogeye

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 08:58 PM

I'm about to try the following

http://www.passiveho...tems.co.uk/shop

Bit of a strange website as it keeps dropping you out of the shopping section of the site - I think the company is the same as the clean energy Ireland based one.

The prices seem quite encouraging though so I'll give them a whirl.

#12 declan52

declan52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts
  • LocationCo. armagh

Posted 29 April 2016 - 09:32 PM

I used the gerband range on mine and was well impressed. I used the green airtightness tape,the fabric red one for block work, the sealant and the membrane.
Can't vouch for the seller as I got mine from clean energy Ireland in Co cork.

#13 JmS

JmS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 10:12 PM

I'll need a tape for the final part of sealing up my aluminium windows. Foam is going in the gap and then I was going to tape the window to the brick / block work. Do I need a tape with the sticky strip for the window and then you use an adhesive when attaching to the masonry? I will not be plastering my reveals (this is renovation not a build) as I'll be putting in oak reveals - most likley an oak veneered ply as I'll be putting in a strip of pir board behind the oak boards. Similar to Tony's draught busting techniques just not any plasterboard being used.

I was hoping there was a pro clima tape that was adhesive strips to window and masonry but it seems this isn't possible.

#14 Woodgnome

Woodgnome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 12:48 AM

http://baunativ.de
Used them a few times, no problems.

Edited by Woodgnome, 30 April 2016 - 01:17 AM.

#15 recoveringacademic

recoveringacademic

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,343 posts
  • LocationLancaster, Lancashire

Posted 30 April 2016 - 04:46 AM

View PostWoodgnome, on 30 April 2016 - 12:48 AM, said:

http://baunativ.de
Used them a few times, no problems.

Kein Problem, auch fur die Deutschen naturlich!

#16 Triassic

Triassic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  • LocationCumbria

Posted 30 April 2016 - 06:13 AM

View PostProDave, on 29 April 2016 - 06:10 PM, said:

When I need some more, I will approach my local eco house builder. I think they import a lot of stuff from Germany.
strangely enough, I was also buying stuff from a local building services company who'd branched out to provide air tightness services to the big boys, at the time when it looked like the regs were going to be tightened up. I bought the last of their stock, a roll of tape and four tubes of sealant for a fiver, as the nozzles were missing.

In a past life I worked on a project where BRE pressure tested about twenty houses of various construction types, looking at air tightness. I often wonder, having driven daily past an estate of new builds under construction, and marvelled at the total lack of attention to detail, would any of them pass a pressure test.

Edited by Triassic, 30 April 2016 - 06:25 AM.

#17 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 30 April 2016 - 06:33 AM

"Mind you, the Brexit team say we'll be better off, because we can get rid of all these silly regulations."

Should read: "Mind you, the Brexit team say we'll be better off, because we can get rid of all the silly regulations, leaving the good ones in place."

#18 cjard

cjard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 06:39 AM

View PostAlphonsox, on 29 April 2016 - 07:00 AM, said:

The real airtightness tape is a lot cheaper from Germany, but postage is likely to be pricey if you just need a single roll.

Postage is currently free on all pro clima stuff when the order value exceeds 100 euro, and they have great prices too:

www.baunativ.de

Unitape is the best value, paper tape like duct tape, rips by hand, very convenient. I tend to leave the backing tape sticking out longer, peel the tape off the backing, then rip the tape. Periodically shorten the backing tape but never rip the two together
Profil is next best value, used where you need the tape to deform without ripping. Very tricky to use with gloves on, peeling the backing tape is awkward and it cannot be easily ripped so cutting (scissors easiest) required, and if you try peeling then cutting ( ie leaving the backing tape longer) it just sticks to the scissors. Easiest method I've found for that is to cut strips (backing tape still on) with scissors then bend it at the pre scored line in the backing tape and pick it from there

Edited by cjard, 30 April 2016 - 06:41 AM.

#19 cjard

cjard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 06:44 AM

View PostTriassic, on 30 April 2016 - 06:13 AM, said:

In a past life I worked on a project where BRE pressure tested about twenty houses of various construction types, looking at air tightness. I often wonder, having driven daily past an estate of new builds under construction, and marvelled at the total lack of attention to detail, would any of them pass a pressure test.

Good plastering, mainly. Doesn't help keep the cold wind bypassing the insulation and getting all the way to the other side of the plaster, but that's what a massive gas boiler is for!

Not very joined up is it? Could make a house that meets both regs and still costs a fortune to heat

#20 cjard

cjard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 06:47 AM

View PostJmS, on 29 April 2016 - 10:12 PM, said:

I was hoping there was a pro clima tape that was adhesive strips to window and masonry but it seems this isn't possible.

Pro c do a primer for unstable surfaces, that allows their glues and tapes to make a good bond. Only thing is, if the surface is really unstable it might also be porous..

http://baunativ.de/i....php?cPath=4_26