ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Extension Query

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rich1880

Rich1880

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 06:16 AM

I'm currently looking at an extension, double storey coming out the full length of the yard. Next door has an extension in place with mono pitch roof.

How would you suggest we get the extension to work on our side? I think we have 2 options.

1. Build a second leaf next to the neighbours wall and insulate, then take off their ridge tile and install new.
2. Build a second wall, traditional brick cavity block around 300mm from next doors extension so it is totally independent and have a dual pitch roof.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Attached Files

#2 temp

temp

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,200 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 10:00 AM

Rotated..
Attached File  rot.jpg   24.34K   1 downloads

#3 temp

temp

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,200 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 10:05 AM

Option 1 is better.

But check where the boundary is. I note their extension doesn't line up with the line on the roof of the main house.

You should also consider if the extension will add enough to the value of the house to make it worthwhile? Would moving house be a cheaper option?

#4 Rich1880

Rich1880

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 10:35 AM

I think the issue with option one is that when I get he single storey element, to enable to go double story I will need to build on their wall to give me an outside leaf, which I know wont be acceptable.

I guess I could also potentially look t a flat roof with GRP?