ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Jsharris Expanding Foam Nozzle

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 JmS

JmS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 04:54 PM

I'm going to be removing all plaster board in the window reveals soon to then use low expanding foam in between window frame and brick/block. They are quite small gaps so will need to use a smaller nozzle. Is there something out there I can get it do I need to beg jsharris for his as yet patented one ;)

#2 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 28 April 2016 - 05:01 PM

PM me your address and I'll send you mine. It's a tight push fit on to a professional type gun that has a 10mm diameter main tube.

Edited by jsharris, 28 April 2016 - 05:01 PM.

#3 JmS

JmS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 05:04 PM

Are you sure? I was going to get a professional gun, Any recommendations so it will be easy to use your nozzle with ?

I will PM you my address as long as you are sure. I'll take good care of it and clean it up ready for return :)

Edited by JmS, 28 April 2016 - 06:22 PM.
ready for rady

#4 jamiehamy

jamiehamy

Water Tank Conversion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts
  • LocationGourock/Largs

Posted 28 April 2016 - 06:00 PM

For the Instastik foam we used with the roof insulation, we bought the gun and also the cleaner that screws into it. Both well worth the money.

#5 jsharris

jsharris

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 06:13 PM

The two guns I have are these: http://www.bond-it.c...oam-applicator/ from Bond-it, so I know it fits them OK. They probably came from Screwfix or Toolstation, somewhere like that. They are around £20 or so, but well worth it for the ease of use and the fact that gun foam is cheaper than the aerosol stuff, for the quantity you get. and it's a lot less messy working with a gun, rather than the aerosol cans.

The nozzle adapter I made has an O ring seal inside so seals up to the main shaft of the gun, with no disposable plastic nozzle fitted. Cleaning it is best done by just pulling it off before the foam has set and dropping it in a jam jar of acetone (you can buy acetone on ebay, it's what's in the more expensive gun cleaning stuff). I never bothered with the aerosol acetone gun cleaning cartridges, as long as you clean the end of the gun nozzle when you've finished with it for the day it'll be fine stored with a canister of foam on for a few weeks (I've left mine like this for a few months and it's still been OK).

I have no further use for the nozzle, so just keep it or pass it on to someone else when you've done. The tip is a 2mm outside diameter brass tube and can get bent, so it needs a bit of care when squirting low expansion foam into narrow gaps, but I found it a heck of a lot easy than using the silly plastic nozzles that come with the gun; they come off too easily if they get knocked.

#6 JmS

JmS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 06:23 PM

Ok many thanks again Jeremy. I've sent a PM with my details :)

#7 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 28 April 2016 - 07:38 PM

quick search and this is a bloody good deal. all the guns i have ever used are much the same, and you get 8x normal foam and a cleaner for £15

http://www.uksealant...foam-(gun-grade)--p249.html
http://"www.uksealants.co.uk/soudafoam-expanding-foam-(gun-grade)--p249.html"

link doesnt work but it you remove the quote marks in the second one it should work

+7.50 for delivery :angry:

http://www.uksealant...ade)--p249.html

Edited by ConstructionChannel, 29 April 2016 - 08:06 PM.

#8 JmS

JmS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 07:48 PM

Thanks mate, when is the next video upload coming? :)

#9 Nickfromwales

Nickfromwales

Short cuts take three times longer.....Fact

• Moderators
  • 8,182 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales

Posted 28 April 2016 - 07:53 PM

View PostJmS, on 28 April 2016 - 07:48 PM, said:

Thanks mate, when is the next video upload coming? :)
You HAD to ask, didn't you :rolleyes:
:D

#10 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 28 April 2016 - 09:15 PM

:D should be a few this weekend, hoping to fit the collars, straps,, sarking , felt and temp batten it over the weekend....
but its meant to be terrible weather and I'm drinking on saturday night so we will have to wait and see :P

Edited by ConstructionChannel, 28 April 2016 - 09:16 PM.

#11 TerryE

TerryE

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 709 posts
  • LocationSouth Northants

Posted 28 April 2016 - 11:44 PM

View PostConstructionChannel, on 28 April 2016 - 07:38 PM, said:

http://"www.uksealants.co.uk/soudafoam-expanding-foam-(gun-grade)--p249.html" -- link doesn't work but it you remove the quote marks in the second one it should work. +7.50 for delivery :angry:
Use the link button on the editor or hit Ctl-L, and them you can see something like: Soudafoam expanding foam
//Smart Arse

Edit: I need to delete the smart arse -- how the mighty are fallen! -- there's a bug in the javascript which handles the editor pane: The ( char in a link needs to be mapped to %28, etc. and the link converter gets this wrong. :o

Edited by TerryE, 28 April 2016 - 11:54 PM.

#12 cjard

cjard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 05:12 AM

@ConChannel
Gah, the foam is a good price but the delivery kills it.
Best place for expanding foam is ebay, do a search for GUN FOAM 12, should be able to pick up a box of twelve no name for under 30 from ukplanet/saitools, 32 for ever build brand, 36 for soudal from platinumsupplies. Delivery inc. cleaner is 4 quid a can from screwfix, I'm still on my first can, and I've used 78 cans of foam so far

Make sure when buying on ebay that either:
The price is 20% cheaper from a private seller or
The listing cites a vat number and "I provide vat invoices"

Couple of times I've been caught out buying something that is cheapest but forgetting to check the seller is vat reg, they weren't and a more expensive item would be cheaper after I reclaim the vat

On topic, I recently realised that the plastic nozzles that come with tubes of orcon, sticks like, silicone, gutter sealant etc fit very nicely on the end of the foam gun just a push fit, especially now my gun is generally coated with bits of cured foam that make the end a bit more rounded. I've got hundreds of these nozzles lying around (because I'm a cheapskate and transfer the nozzle I. Using to the new cart to avoid wasting a nozzles worth of glue each time), so they now get used when I need a finer point on the gun and like jh says, hey much harder to knock off than the crappy plastic straw that came with the gun

Gunning through a nozzle makes the foam weird, a bit more dense/doesn't expand as much, bear in mind. Also, tip, I find the best way to pack eg the cavity between a window frame and a building wall is to first seal the the cavity edges using a nice consistent bead of foam, let it cure fully and then either remove a window fixing bolt and power the foam through the hole before putting the bolt back(stops foam pooing everywhere) or poke the sharp nozzle through the bead of foam you installed to close the cavity, power the foam in and then jam a little nugget of PIR off a kingspan sheet in the hole you poked to stop foam pooing out..

Edited by cjard, 29 April 2016 - 05:18 AM.

#13 JmS

JmS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 07:10 AM

Thanks for the tips, very helpful all.

When I start this work do you think I should blog it for others as there is a need for people like myself who own a house that is not a self build but want to improve the shoddy build quality of newer homes :)

#14 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 29 April 2016 - 05:35 PM

View PostJmS, on 29 April 2016 - 07:10 AM, said:

Thanks for the tips, very helpful all.

When I start this work do you think I should blog it for others as there is a need for people like myself who own a house that is not a self build but want to improve the shoddy build quality of newer homes :)

if you have got the time to document it why not. even if it doesnt help others it will be good for your own records/ memories

#15 TheMitchells

TheMitchells

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationBicester, Oxfordshire

Posted 29 April 2016 - 08:00 PM

"When I start this work do you think I should blog it for others as there is a need for people like myself who own a house that is not a self build but want to improve the shoddy build quality of newer homes :)"

Please do as I would find it most helpful - it is not always easy to picture what is being talked about on the forums.
-_-

#16 gravelld

gravelld

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 08:27 PM

Definitely will be interesting Jms, I'll read it.

#17 jsharris

jsharris

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 08:33 PM

View Postgravelld, on 29 April 2016 - 08:27 PM, said:

Definitely will be interesting Jms, I'll read it.

That means I'll need to make sure it's scrupulously clean and polished before I chuck it in the post tomorrow - don't want it looking scuffy if you lot want photos............................

#18 gravelld

gravelld

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 08:52 PM

LOL - ISTR there's also a clamp on the outside of the nozzle Jeremy, is that right? Surprised it takes the pressure otherwise.

I have a crap solution - I use one of those syringes you get for filling ink cartridges with a 0.5mm ish metal nozzle, hold it onto the gun with one hand while triggering with the other! Would be good if I worked a way of fastening it on properly.

#19 jsharris

jsharris

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 09:04 PM

No clamp. it's a tight push fit onto the OD of the nozzle tube and the friction of the O ring holds it in place.

#20 gravelld

gravelld

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 09:33 PM

Cool, I'll give it a go myself.