ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Level? Thats The Spirit!

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 28 April 2016 - 06:16 PM

View Postrecoveringacademic, on 28 April 2016 - 06:05 PM, said:

How often do you check yours? I have never ever checked one...... :(

Every time I use it. I always flip the level on every job, just out of habit. The only time I don't always flip it is when checking verticals, and then only because it's a pain to do it on my long level as there's a load of filler or something that blocks the view of the vertical bubble on one side

#22 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 28 April 2016 - 06:40 PM

seconded, you gotta check your levels, i can't say i do it on every job but it will usually get checked at least once a day, and especially after a fall.
funnily enough i find it is usually one of the vertical bubbles that wander a bit.

the only other advantage to "decent" spirit levels are.
the wood/ plasterboard will bend before the level does, (not the case with some of the really cheap ones.)
the tolerances on the bubbles are better e.g less gap between the bubble and the lines, also i think the Empire range (very expensive) have gradient lines e.g 1:100 ,1:80

if it is generally for drawing lines on walls a stick with a bubble on it would work ;)

#23 daiking

daiking

Advanced Member

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts
  • LocationSouth Manchester

Posted 28 April 2016 - 06:58 PM

Can you wait a week? :lol:

http://www.lidl.co.u...Detail&id=33313

#24 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 28 April 2016 - 07:19 PM

now c'mon how the hell do they do it? there is no way that they can take a lump of ally box, cut it , drill and mill it to receive the vials, paint it yellow and brand it, buy or make the vials, insert the vials and end caps, calibrate(?) them, then pay the lorry driver and his diesel to get it from the factory to the port, then ship it from lets say china for a guess, then pay another driver and diesel bill to get it to the distribution centre then another one to get it to the store, then pay the person to put it on display for under £7

#25 Roger440

Roger440

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 07:25 PM

View PostConstructionChannel, on 28 April 2016 - 07:19 PM, said:

now c'mon how the hell do they do it? there is no way that they can take a lump of ally box, cut it , drill and mill it to receive the vials, paint it yellow and brand it, buy or make the vials, insert the vials and end caps, calibrate(?) them, then pay the lorry driver and his diesel to get it from the factory to the port, then ship it from lets say china for a guess, then pay another driver and diesel bill to get it to the distribution centre then another one to get it to the store, then pay the person to put it on display for under £7

Same way you can buy a fully functioning damper for a landrover for under a tenner. India!

#26 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 28 April 2016 - 07:29 PM

Indias not that much closer :D

but it is just crazy, the margins must be so small that the volumes would have to be huge to make it worth their time,
or they are making a loss to get you in the shop, but thats not the case for your damper.

#27 Roger440

Roger440

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 07:38 PM

View PostConstructionChannel, on 28 April 2016 - 07:29 PM, said:

Indias not that much closer :D

but it is just crazy, the margins must be so small that the volumes would have to be huge to make it worth their time,
or they are making a loss to get you in the shop, but thats not the case for your damper.

And dont forget it will pass throught at least a couple of people before it gets to the ebd user. And 20% of that is VAT. But its not a loss making deal.

#28 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 28 April 2016 - 07:45 PM

View PostRoger440, on 28 April 2016 - 07:38 PM, said:

And dont forget it will pass throught at least a couple of people before it gets to the ebd user. And 20% of that is VAT. But its not a loss making deal.
Madness :blink:

#29 declan52

declan52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts
  • LocationCo. armagh

Posted 28 April 2016 - 08:17 PM

View Postdaiking, on 28 April 2016 - 06:58 PM, said:

That's some deal. We get different deals here but I would bite for that amount.

#30 recoveringacademic

recoveringacademic

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,343 posts
  • LocationLancaster, Lancashire

Posted 28 April 2016 - 08:19 PM

View Postjsharris, on 28 April 2016 - 06:16 PM, said:

Every time I use it.

My learning curve is bloody steep at the moment, and about to get worse (and worse)

Gonna have to put me in a home (My surname is Simpson)

#31 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 28 April 2016 - 08:22 PM

Since the last Ice Age, Scotland has been rising and the West Country has been sinking. Does this mean that houses built a decade ago or more are all on the piss?

#32 Barnyrubble

Barnyrubble

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationWarmest place in England. Devon

Posted 28 April 2016 - 08:45 PM

Yes in Cornwall, but Devon sorted that with a saucer with water in it.

#33 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 28 April 2016 - 08:55 PM

Sounds about right, you only have broken teacups left :D

#34 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 29 April 2016 - 06:44 AM

I got lazy when I went digital and only checked them (I had two) when I remembered how long it had been since I'd last done it! :rolleyes: