ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

What To Pay For....

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 NSS

NSS

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 01:37 PM

... a remote, insulated sectional double garage door in Anthracite?

Have a supplied and fitted quote of a gnats under £1,750 for a Novoferm.

Does this sound about right, or should I be looking for a better price?

#2 Alphonsox

Alphonsox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts
  • LocationCounty Down, NI and Forest of Dean, England

Posted 28 April 2016 - 01:45 PM

What size ?

#3 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 28 April 2016 - 01:55 PM

We had a 3m wide insulated electric roller supplied and installed for about £1100 (hard to be sure as we paid £1400 but that included a supplied and fitted double glazed UPVC personnel door).

Not sure if sectionals are more expensive than rollers; can't see an obvious reason why they should be. Ours is a Seceuroglide Compact, one that rolls into a 250mm deep box inside the door opening,

#4 PeterW

PeterW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 02:08 PM

About £1100 plus fitting for all the toys but tbh they are a couple of hours max for a team of two into a new build if there is nothing to remove. I reckon £1500 tops and thats inc vat

#5 NSS

NSS

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 02:12 PM

View PostAlphonsox, on 28 April 2016 - 01:45 PM, said:

What size ?

4100 x 2250 opening

#6 NSS

NSS

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 02:14 PM

View Postjsharris, on 28 April 2016 - 01:55 PM, said:

We had a 3m wide insulated electric roller supplied and installed for about £1100 (hard to be sure as we paid £1400 but that included a supplied and fitted double glazed UPVC personnel door).

Not sure if sectionals are more expensive than rollers; can't see an obvious reason why they should be. Ours is a Seceuroglide Compact, one that rolls into a 250mm deep box inside the door opening,

Sectionals seem to be 10-20% more than rollers.

#7 NSS

NSS

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 02:15 PM

View PostPeterW, on 28 April 2016 - 02:08 PM, said:

About £1100 plus fitting for all the toys but tbh they are a couple of hours max for a team of two into a new build if there is nothing to remove. I reckon £1500 tops and thats inc vat

Really? If you have a suggestion as to who/where I'll bite their hands off at that price.

#8 cjard

cjard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 03:02 PM

View PostNSS, on 28 April 2016 - 02:15 PM, said:

I'll bite their hands off

Dunno if they would then be able to install the door, unless it had a remote for that too!

#9 joe90

joe90

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 03:14 PM

I am about to order a 4.8 meter by 2.5 meter insulated roller door with soft edge one click up/down with light delivered only for about £1100. Can pm you the details if you like.

#10 NSS

NSS

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 03:22 PM

View Postjoe90, on 28 April 2016 - 03:14 PM, said:

I am about to order a 4.8 meter by 2.5 meter insulated roller door with soft edge one click up/down with light delivered only for about £1100. Can pm you the details if you like.

Sounds a great price, but I'd prefer a sectional door.

#11 joe90

joe90

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 03:25 PM

Okeydokey but what is the difference ? ( mine will be small 77mm sections in dark green) just asking.

#12 lews123

lews123

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 03:29 PM

Hi Joe, can you please PM me the details as I am also after a roller door, 4.8 x 2.2. Are you going to be fitting yourself? I did have a quote of a local company who would supply and fit for £1450. I can't imagine them being too difficult to fit and at the end of the day thats £350 in the back pocket

#13 jsharris

jsharris

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 03:41 PM

They are dead easy to fit. Two not particularly fast working blokes fitted mine in around an hour. I reckon you could DIY fit it in the same time. Only significant issue is that you need two people when holding and fixing the roller box up, as it's too long to hold and screw with just a single person. The roller box is fitted before the curtain, so it's not very heavy, then the curtain is just draped over the roller and fixed in place.

Without the test box with two push buttons you'll be taking pot luck as to whether it goes up or down in the right direction first time around, but that's easily fixed, if it goes the wrong way swap two of the wires to the motor over (usually the brown and the black). This is all in the fitting instructions and a search or Youtube will find a few installation videos that will help.

If I could have bought the door I wanted without fitting I would have, but SWS wouldn't do supply only on the model I wanted.

#14 lews123

lews123

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 03:50 PM

Thanks Jsharris, I believe it's john? correct me if i'm wrong. very useful and helpful as always!

I'm currently going through the whole entire houses top to bottom roof off etc etc so I shouldn't see fitting the door too much of a major drama and besides I'm an electrician by trade, should I have any issues with the motor.

Any particular presence on brand of door? so far all I know is I want a roller door in anthracite grey to match the doors and windows which are in colour code RAL7016 and the opening is 4.6x2.2 brick to brick so was going to do a little over these dimensions so I did not see the guide rails and housing box.

#15 NSS

NSS

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 04:16 PM

View Postjoe90, on 28 April 2016 - 03:14 PM, said:

Several factors. Sectional doors open much like an 'up and over' in the sense that they run in a track that extends back from the lintel of the doorway. This means you get a completely clear opening equal to the structural opening size whereas roller doors tend to hang below the lintel even when fully open (and I need the clearance to get my boat in and out). Also, I'm told that with roller doors, over a period of time, you get some scratching of the surface as the ribs roll around themselves (and this tends to be more noticeable on coloured doors). Finally, I just prefer the aesthetic appearance of the much larger 'ribs' of a sectional door (only four panels high rather than 20+ ribs on a roller door).

#16 jsharris

jsharris

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 04:38 PM

View Postlews123, on 28 April 2016 - 03:50 PM, said:

Thanks Jsharris, I believe it's john? correct me if i'm wrong. very useful and helpful as always!

I'm currently going through the whole entire houses top to bottom roof off etc etc so I shouldn't see fitting the door too much of a major drama and besides I'm an electrician by trade, should I have any issues with the motor.

Any particular presence on brand of door? so far all I know is I want a roller door in anthracite grey to match the doors and windows which are in colour code RAL7016 and the opening is 4.6x2.2 brick to brick so was going to do a little over these dimensions so I did not see the guide rails and housing box.

Ours is the slightly lighter dark grey, can't remember the RAL number but it's the same as our aluclad windows.

I designed our garage opening so that it was 100mm wider than the max width slim-fit roller (they only do the compact range in up to 3m width) and I also added 250mm to the bottom of the timber lintel height to allow the 250mm roller box to fit without taking up any garage height at all. The standard range doors go to wider openings, but usually have a 300mm deep box.

I have nothing really against our Seceuroglide door at all, it works well, seems reliable, has good security and safety interlocks (it has a soft rubber sensor along the bottom so if it touches anything it stops and then opens a few inches - prevents trapping kids or pets). The only reason I'd not have another one is that they use a special secure rolling code remote and you cannot buy a spare except from them, at £45 plus VAT and carriage a time. I lost one remote so now only have one and I've been hunting high and low for a replacement. There are loads of people selling replacement programmable rolling code remotes for garage doors, for every make except ours. The generic replacement remotes are around a fiver, versus the ~£60 it'd cost to get one to work with our door. I can buy a complete replacement receiver with two remotes for £36(this one: http://www.ebay.co.u...SsAAOxysE5SbOPq ) which really makes the SWS Seceuroglide remote price look like a complete rip off.

I have a cunning plan to build a new remote system that will operate the door and the garage and outside lights, and be secure. I reckon it'll cost me around £20 for bits and I've already found an easy way to just plug it into the existing controller (it has provision for extra internal up and down buttons).

My advice would be to go for something like a Horstman, just because every man and his dog make spares for them, and you can buy spare remotes for them for around a fiver from ebay.

PS: I've just edited my profile to try and make my name show - the "JSHarris" thing sounds too formal, but if you're eyes are good you can just read it on my avatar under the word "expert" on my infamous red overalls..................

Edited by jsharris, 28 April 2016 - 04:40 PM.

#17 lews123

lews123

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 04:49 PM

View Postjsharris, on 28 April 2016 - 04:38 PM, said:

Ours is the slightly lighter dark grey, can't remember the RAL number but it's the same as our aluclad windows.

I designed our garage opening so that it was 100mm wider than the max width slim-fit roller (they only do the compact range in up to 3m width) and I also added 250mm to the bottom of the timber lintel height to allow the 250mm roller box to fit without taking up any garage height at all. The standard range doors go to wider openings, but usually have a 300mm deep box.

I have nothing really against our Seceuroglide door at all, it works well, seems reliable, has good security and safety interlocks (it has a soft rubber sensor along the bottom so if it touches anything it stops and then opens a few inches - prevents trapping kids or pets). The only reason I'd not have another one is that they use a special secure rolling code remote and you cannot buy a spare except from them, at £45 plus VAT and carriage a time. I lost one remote so now only have one and I've been hunting high and low for a replacement. There are loads of people selling replacement programmable rolling code remotes for garage doors, for every make except ours. The generic replacement remotes are around a fiver, versus the ~£60 it'd cost to get one to work with our door. I can buy a complete replacement receiver with two remotes for £36(this one: http://www.ebay.co.u...SsAAOxysE5SbOPq ) which really makes the SWS Seceuroglide remote price look like a complete rip off.

I have a cunning plan to build a new remote system that will operate the door and the garage and outside lights, and be secure. I reckon it'll cost me around £20 for bits and I've already found an easy way to just plug it into the existing controller (it has provision for extra internal up and down buttons).

My advice would be to go for something like a Horstman, just because every man and his dog make spares for them, and you can buy spare remotes for them for around a fiver from ebay.

PS: I've just edited my profile to try and make my name show - the "JSHarris" thing sounds too formal, but if you're eyes are good you can just read it on my avatar under the word "expert" on my infamous red overalls..................

Jeremy! I was almost here..... :unsure:

Some great sound advice above so thanks for that! Seems like I will be fitting the garage door myself then.... might update you once done...

#18 jsharris

jsharris

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 04:57 PM

View Postlews123, on 28 April 2016 - 04:49 PM, said:

Jeremy! I was almost here..... :unsure:

Some great sound advice above so thanks for that! Seems like I will be fitting the garage door myself then.... might update you once done...

Worth a look at the installation videos on YouTube, there are some very good ones there that go through all the steps. Most are aimed at professional fitters, with the test box to get the motor direction right before wiring it to the control box, but they show all the potentially tricky bits, like how to fix the box, attach the roller and set the stops for the end points.

#19 lews123

lews123

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 05:04 PM

View Postjsharris, on 28 April 2016 - 04:57 PM, said:

Worth a look at the installation videos on YouTube, there are some very good ones there that go through all the steps. Most are aimed at professional fitters, with the test box to get the motor direction right before wiring it to the control box, but they show all the potentially tricky bits, like how to fix the box, attach the roller and set the stops for the end points.

Ok lovely job I'll take a look on youtube when I return home from offshore next week....Internet is painfully slow out here!

#20 alexphd1

alexphd1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 09:01 AM

We fitted a hormann sectional double approx 4.6m wide in a day inc removing the old one. Very easy job. Will be fitting another in new build.