Jump to content

ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Vat Reclaim On Mixed Function Units

  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Alphonsox


    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts
  • LocationCounty Down, NI and Forest of Dean, England

Posted 27 April 2016 - 01:10 PM

On another thread an interesting combined hob/extractor unit is being discussed. Effectively it's an induction hob with a downdraught extractor built into the middle of it and sold as a single unit.
From the government VAT reclaim site I see that electrical appliances (the hob) are excluded but that ventilation appliances (the extractor) are included. There is also a specific mention of dual use cooker/water heater units being allowable.
Any idea where this would leave a combined unit like this ? Is it possible to get a pre-purchase opinion from the VAT people or do you need to buy and hope for the best?

Attached Files

#2 Trw144


    Regular Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 01:27 PM

I d just ensure the invoice is worded correctly

#3 warby


    Regular Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 03:28 PM

Phone HMRC and ask. It's free, note down the number they give you, so you can show it when you make your VAT return. My personal opinion is your will not get a positive decision, but good luck.
Opinions expressed by members here, that will be well intended will not be enough for your needs, this by definition is a grey area.

#4 temp


    Advanced Member

  • Moderators
  • 10,200 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 03:57 PM

You could try your luck and include it in the reclaim but beware.. I recently discovered that the HMRC started issuing penalties in 2014 for "errors" on self build reclaims...


#5 declan52


    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts
  • LocationCo. armagh

Posted 27 April 2016 - 05:20 PM

I got my kitchen man just to give me a bill which just had the total kitchen cost included on it. It had no breakdown of what was on the bill. If I recall correctly the utility room if you have one can't be vat free as its a luxury. But if it happened to be on the kitchen bill!!!

#6 jsharris


    Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

  • Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 27 April 2016 - 05:57 PM

I rang HMRC to ask about our kitchen tap, as it has a boiling water facility and the boiler shouldn't be eligible for a VAT reclaim, if I've read the rules correctly. They were very helpful over the phone, checked their interpretation and confirmed that if it was a single appliance that's primary function was at the main water tap for the kitchen then it was all eligible for reclaim. They gave me a reference to quote of the claim for too. All round I was pleasantly surprised at how helpful they were (as well as giving me the answer I'd hoped for!).