ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Ceiling Height

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Lesgrandepotato

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 09:14 AM

Bit of a dilemma, we are creating an open plan space in our new house. Some of the rooms to be incorporated have a ceiling height of 2350 mm (7ft 9in) vs 2420 mm (8ft)

I know the standard is about 2400. Is this worth worrying about. The room in question is about 10m x 4.5m and next to a double height space of about 5m x 4m (with a gallery at the same height as the open plan space)

What does the collective think?

Attached Files

Edited by joiner, 28 April 2016 - 09:15 AM.
Units converted to mm

#2 tonyshouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts
  • LocationThames Valley

Posted 27 April 2016 - 09:54 AM

No regs on ceiling heights except on stairs so as you please or whatever is easy.

#3 jayroc2k

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 01:06 PM

We have a step in our flat, ceiling height goes from 2.5m to 2.4m (floor is flat, ceiling steps down). While 2.4 is pretty standard for lots of non-period builds, many developers have moved to 2.5m as it feels a lot more airy.

I think you will be alright but, if it bothers you, you can opt for thinner engineered joists, vaulted ceiling etc.
2.4 will certainly not feel grand or luxurious however, it works well in some rooms making them more “intimate”, particularly with dining rooms.

Edited by joiner, 28 April 2016 - 09:13 AM.
Text formatting

#4 notnickclegg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationHampshire/Surrey Borders

Posted 27 April 2016 - 01:34 PM

10 x 4.5 m is a very big room. I'd be concerned that the ceiling would feel low in such circumstances.

That said, this could be useful if you're trying to emphasise the adjoining double height area.

#5 AlexC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 03:03 PM

I would definately worry about a 2350 ceiling especially in a very large room. I can touch a 2440 ceiling with an outstretched arm on tip toes and that is the bare minimum I would want. As a rule, the larger the room the higher the ceiling. When you walk from the double height to single height part of the room you will feel like you need to duck as the lower ceiling is exagerated by the high ceiling next to it.

#6 ProDave

Self build in the Highlands

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts
  • LocationScottish Highlands

Posted 27 April 2016 - 03:07 PM

We are having a 2.3M ceiling in our spare, smallest bedroom, that's to maximise the headroom of the mezanine above it. It seems okay in a small room.

I agree in a larger room you need the extra height or it will feel low.

Conversely a house I am wiring just now has very high ceilings, and in the small box room / study, the extra high ceiling just serves to make the room feel even smaller than it really is.

#7 stones

Advanced Member

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts
  • LocationOrkney

Posted 27 April 2016 - 03:16 PM

We had a 6m x 8m open plan kitchen / dining / family room in our last but one house. Ceiling height was 2.4m, you walked down three steps from the main hall into the room. It was so oppressive (especially in the middle where a steel beam ran the full length of the ceiling to carry the floor above).

Our last house we had a 12m x 4.5m open plan room, with vaulted ceiling pitched at 30 degrees. That made a massive difference to the feeling of space.