ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Damp Proof Foam/liquid For Plasterboard Gaps

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 egolia

egolia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 09:19 PM

Hello,

I would like to ask your expert advice. Is there any damp proof foam/liquid (EG liquid rubber) that I can pour in to the gap between plasterboard and bricks? I can make some holes in the plasterboard and pour in the liquid to avoid having to cut/remove large parts of the plasterboard as it has been recently installed. I can then fill in the holes with some filler and paint it over again. The trouble with liquid rubber is that is quite dense and does not come in a kit to spray or pour it in. I was thinking to use some expanding foam but I do not think it provides good damp proofing besides I am concerned that it might expand too much and break the plasterboard. The gap between plasterboard and wall is about 4-5 mm

Many thanks,

egolia

#2 gravelld

gravelld

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 09:25 PM

Ideas here: http://blog.cheapwallinsulation.org/

Why is damp proofing important?

#3 vijay

vijay

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 07:31 AM

No idea exactly what you need to do, but what about cavity/underseal spray used on cars?

#4 Onoff

Onoff

My pressures!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 07:53 PM

This stuff maybe:

http://www.wickes.co...uid-5L/p/241217

Used it to tank areas before.

#5 egolia

egolia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 10:33 PM

Many thanks for the replies. The issue i have is that the wall i want to damp proof has a very narrow access externally as it is close to the fence and the builder insulated it with polystyrene boards that has been plastered and painted. However he did not protect the walls with a damp proof membrane before covering with polystyrene. After a couple of months i found water under the laminate coming from the outside through the gaps between the bricks and he refused to come and fix. With a lot of efforts I gave 3-4 coatings of liquid rubber along the exterior fillet and covered it with concrete and painted with weatherproof paint and this has stopped the leaking however i now want to damp proof the interior side of the wall and as it had been covered with plasterboards i do not want to danage it too much. This is why i am looking for some damp proof spray/foam/liquid that i can pour in the gap between the plasterboards the wall through some holes that i can easily close with filler. I will look at your suggestions however if you know of any specific products that can be sprayed like the expanding foam please let me know.

Many thanks

Egolia

#6 cjard

cjard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 06:27 AM

Damp proofing both sides of a wall is asking for trouble.. Stop it getting in, but provide a way for any to get out if t does

#7 joe90

joe90

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 12:39 PM

View Postgravelld, on 25 April 2016 - 09:25 PM, said:

Ideas here: http://blog.cheapwallinsulation.org/

Why is damp proofing important?

On that link above I love the guy who is making his own poly bead insulation with a leaf shredder and off cuts of polystyrene!

#8 cjard

cjard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 07:07 AM

I was thinking of doing similar with my PUR leftovers, then incorporating them into some 2part foam that turns into PUR when set, but my gas, the mess.. I'm just going to bury blocks of PUR whole in the liquid foam

Egolia, has your plasterboard been plastered? If no, just rip it off and make good with a proper job if it bothers you still. Even if you damage it, it's like, a fiver a sheet. Peanuts compared to the rest of the build