ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Kitchen Sink And Tap From Europe

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 shell820810

shell820810

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 07:15 PM

Just wondering, if I buy a Blanco sink and tap from Germany, are the plumbing/connections the same as if I buy UK stock?

#2 ryder72

ryder72

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 07:42 PM

The sink will be fine. It will come with the overflow and stuff and will connect to 1.5 inch wastes.

Taps - Some are fine, some not.

Blanco UK wont warrant the products and you will need to go back to your European supplier for warranties. This can be a problem if you need ceramic discs.

#3 shell820810

shell820810

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 07:47 PM

I am thinking of silgranit. They seem to be reasonable on eBay from Germany. Waiting on UK rep to come back to me with the uk price.

#4 PeterW

PeterW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 08:01 PM

Apparently Blanco make a number of grades too - the stuff in the sheds is definitely not the same quality as provided to kitchen retailers

#5 ryder72

ryder72

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 04:41 PM

No Blanco make only one quality but you are unlikely to find Blanco in sheds (I may be wrong on this). Franke own Astracast and they do have contract ranges which you find in sheds. Whether these are inferior or not I dont know but I find Blanco is generally a better product than Franke unless you go to the top end of Franke and there is nothing in it.

#6 PeterW

PeterW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 06:39 PM

Errrrr...

http://www.diy.com/d...0160426183458:s

I'm talking from bitter experience and we put one of these side by side against an exact same unit from a reputable retailer (not this one) and they said they couldn't buy at the price B&Q sell at even with significant discount.

http://www.inderkitc...-tap-3450-p.asp

Taps are the same, casting for the handles and the ceramic units themselves were different internally.

#7 shell820810

shell820810

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 06:54 PM

I am pricing on Reuter-shop and using the product code so product should be ok, its just the warranty we may have issues with. Still waiting on a UK price.

#8 ryder72

ryder72

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 06:58 PM

PeterW - I am surprised. Yes that price would be way way below cost. I will make enquires within Blanco and start buying from B&Q if they tell me its the same product.

It would be hugely damaging to their reputation to do a secondary quality of product. I would normally expect to beat Inder Kitchen pricing

Will feed back what I find out.

#9 PeterW

PeterW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 07:55 PM

Thanks - would be interesting to know ..! Let's just say a B&Q Blanco tap and the B&Q customer service has put me off them for life !

#10 ryder72

ryder72

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 08:38 PM

This is a response from someone at Blanco and I trust this response-

We are fully aware of this and in no way is this supported by Blanco they are making a massive loss. The reason they have done this is to sell off the remaining stock they have as we are no longer selling to B&Q.
The tap is only at that price until they clear the stock and is not an ongoing price.'
I really doubt Blanco would go through the effort of producing a special range of taps for B&Q. Blanco are too big for this and B&Q are too small.

If you have a problem tap, contact Blanco. If you need numbers for this PM me and I will give you an inside line to Blanco. Hopefully that will sort you out.

#11 PeterW

PeterW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 08:53 PM

Thanks ! Will dig the detail out when I back at the end of the week if that's ok ..?

#12 joe90

joe90

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 11:16 AM

But look at the reviews on B@Q, terrible. Does not seem like a good tap whoever makes it.

#13 mafaldina

mafaldina

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • LocationWheal Clifford, Cornwall

Posted 29 April 2016 - 11:28 AM

View PostPeterW, on 26 April 2016 - 06:39 PM, said:

Errrrr...

http://www.diy.com/d...0160426183458:s

I'm talking from bitter experience and we put one of these side by side against an exact same unit from a reputable retailer (not this one) and they said they couldn't buy at the price B&Q sell at even with significant discount.

http://www.inderkitc...-tap-3450-p.asp

Taps are the same, casting for the handles and the ceramic units themselves were different internally.
B&Q one says Chrome effect, the other states Chrome. Obviously different products if descriptions accurate.

#14 PeterW

PeterW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 12:26 PM

View Postmafaldina, on 29 April 2016 - 11:28 AM, said:

B&Q one says Chrome effect, the other states Chrome. Obviously different products if descriptions accurate.

The model numbers on Blanco's website match up though - and I think one of the reviews on B&Q is mine as it was atrocious !

#15 ryder72

ryder72

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 02:35 PM

We have supplied some of these taps and I can honestly say these are no better or worse than other Blanco products. In general Blanco make a good product and as previously said Blanco are too big to make a special line of taps for B&Q.

#16 Alphonsox

Alphonsox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts
  • LocationCounty Down, NI and Forest of Dean, England

Posted 29 April 2016 - 03:57 PM

View Postryder72, on 29 April 2016 - 02:35 PM, said:

Blanco are too big to make a special line of taps for B&Q.
For B+Q possibly, for Kingfisher (B+Q, Costarama, Brico, Screwfix, etc) I wouldn't be so sure. Kingfisher is around 40 times larger by turnover.

#17 ryder72

ryder72

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 06:42 PM

But your statement assumes that there is central buying for all Kingfisher groups which there doesnt appear to be. Screwfix dont stock Blanco. Generally Blanco products would be above the typical B&Q price point.

#18 mafaldina

mafaldina

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • LocationWheal Clifford, Cornwall

Posted 29 April 2016 - 07:47 PM

If they are so different, but same numbers, surely B&Q not stocking conterfits? Some of their electrical goods might suggest so, as same issues appear there. Views? (without libel)