ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Raster To Vector Software

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Onoff

Onoff

My pressures!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 03:53 PM

Any good (free) software out there? I have a decent 'ish photo of the mock door hinge on the church vestry where we got married. It's a bit ornate / Gothic. I want to "trace" the outline to produce a DXF. I'll then have mock hinges cut in stainless steel plate to grace our sliding gate.

I can import the photo into AutoCAD and draw round it but it's painstaking tbh with all the arcs and swirls!

Attached File  hinge.JPG   32.91K   6 downloads

Cheers

Edited by Onoff, 25 April 2016 - 03:53 PM.

#2 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 25 April 2016 - 04:29 PM

Always worth having a look at Wikipedia for these sorts of questions:
https://en.wikipedia...ersion_software

I use Inkscape Portable (for other things), that way you are not scattering files all over your hard drive.

#3 mafaldina

mafaldina

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • LocationWheal Clifford, Cornwall

Posted 25 April 2016 - 06:23 PM

View PostOnoff, on 25 April 2016 - 03:53 PM, said:

Any good (free) software out there? I have a decent 'ish photo of the mock door hinge on the church vestry where we got married. It's a bit ornate / Gothic. I want to "trace" the outline to produce a DXF. I'll then have mock hinges cut in stainless steel plate to grace our sliding gate.

I can import the photo into AutoCAD and draw round it but it's painstaking tbh with all the arcs and swirls!

Attachment hinge.JPG

Cheers

If I have some time tomorrow I'll try and take it from Photoshop into illustrator for you. As Illustrator is vector you should be able to read it/modify it in any CAD package.

All Best M

#4 mafaldina

mafaldina

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 06:27 PM

In fact can you pm me the file without your efforts on it, as a jpeg should do it. I think there is enough contrast for me to magic wand it. We'll see.

M

#5 Onoff

Onoff

My pressures!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 06:54 PM

View Postmafaldina, on 25 April 2016 - 06:27 PM, said:

In fact can you pm me the file without your efforts on it, as a jpeg should do it. I think there is enough contrast for me to magic wand it. We'll see.

M

Very decent of you! I must admit I never got on the Photshop "bus". Still, to this day using Paintshop Pro 7.

I was going to "trace" one half and then mirror it in AutoCAD but I'd be interested to see if there's a quicker way if you don't mind. Will pm you.

#6 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 25 April 2016 - 09:04 PM

I often find that it is easier and quicker to just draw it up in a CAD program.
We paid a few hundred quid for an R2D package called TrackTrics nearly 20 years ago. it was never very good for what we did (laser cutting) as it frequently split a line without us noticing.
Then there is the scaling issues.

Things have moved on since then mind (I liked Windows 3.1 with DOS 5 or 6.1 behind it).

I often use the Extract filter on Photoshop (I am still on 7), then I can use Edge Detect to make a line, never tried to vectorise it though.

Edited by SteamyTea, 25 April 2016 - 09:06 PM.

#7 mafaldina

mafaldina

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 09:26 PM

View PostSteamyTea, on 25 April 2016 - 09:04 PM, said:

I often find that it is easier and quicker to just draw it up in a CAD program.
We paid a few hundred quid for an R2D package called TrackTrics nearly 20 years ago. it was never very good for what we did (laser cutting) as it frequently split a line without us noticing.
Then there is the scaling issues.

Things have moved on since then mind (I liked Windows 3.1 with DOS 5 or 6.1 behind it).

I often use the Extract filter on Photoshop (I am still on 7), then I can use Edge Detect to make a line, never tried to vectorise it though.

Photoshop is Adobe software and the theory is (we'll see) that one can, relatively, seamlessly move from one program (me, I'm English) to another and still edit. I have irritated my architectural technicians by opening their Cad files that were sent to me as PDFs (Acrobat also Adobe) and modifying where they got it wrong. If one has the full Adobe suite which includes Acrobat Distiller one can lock the file, if not I can get into most and edit in Illustrator or Acrobat Pro. You cannot convert vector to raster, which sort of makes sense as there is more information but does seem to work vice versa. I will try and see, this is a one off, I don't want to be bombarded. If it does work you could always go to your local art college and for not much renumeration get a student to do it.

All Best

Mafalda

#8 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 25 April 2016 - 09:31 PM

I thought I would spend ten minutes trying out Inkscape.
Did a few lines in Turbocad, saved it as a bitmap, opened it in Inkscape, selected the complete image, clicked on Path-->Object to Path (keeping the defaults), then saved as an dxf.
Reopened that in Turbocad and it worked. May need a bit of fiddling with thee default settings in Inkscape, but quite impressed for a free program.
Scaling is well off though. The original was 50mm, the converted one was 105.6m :o

#9 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 25 April 2016 - 09:34 PM

Easy to convert Vector to Raster, I usually just copy from the vector program and paste into the raster program (usually TurboCad to IrfanView).
Looks @!## mind

Golden Rule, never start playing with images after ten at night.

Edited by SteamyTea, 25 April 2016 - 09:40 PM.

#10 mafaldina

mafaldina

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 10:01 PM

I can get it to this easily, not sure if any use, I'll fiddle more tomorrow, can't seem to unlock the paths so I can get rid of highlights at the moment.

#11 mafaldina

mafaldina

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 10:05 PM

Forgot I had to click twice. Here it is.

M

Attached Files

#12 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 25 April 2016 - 10:12 PM

I have broken my golden rule and wasted an hour now, a whole hour of my life that I will never get back, but have found out how to draw accurate lines in Inkscape.
Thankfully there is not a late night comedy on Radio 4 tonight, or I would be missing the jokes.

Time for bed I think.

#13 Onoff

Onoff

My pressures!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 06:50 AM

View Postmafaldina, on 25 April 2016 - 10:05 PM, said:

Forgot I had to click twice. Here it is.

M

Thanks for that. I think tbh the lack of "symmetry" of any resultant graphic and the "wobbly" lines generated by any conversion is going to bother me. Please, don't spend any more time on this. I'll have another go in AutoCAD and lay down some 3 point arcs & circles with the straight lines snapped to the tangents. I can do it it's just a discipline thing with me!