ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Bath Waste Marble Bath

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 bassanclan

bassanclan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 09:03 AM

I am installing a 2 tonne marble bath.

It has one central drainage hole (no overflow).

The base of the marble is approx 110mm thick.

I'm thinking of fitting a shower type waste where the gunk can be cleaned out from above as there is no way of lifting the bath!

Has anyone got any reccomendations of a particular model which will do the job?

#2 temp

temp

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,200 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 11:46 AM

Wow. I imagine a 110mm thick marble bath will suck a lot of heat out of the water.

#3 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 25 April 2016 - 12:19 PM

View Posttemp, on 25 April 2016 - 11:46 AM, said:

Wow. I imagine a 110mm thick marble bath will suck a lot of heat out of the water.

Roughly 1,760,000 J per K, or about 488 Wh per K

So to raise a 2 tonne marble bath from room temperature (say, 20 deg C) to bath temperature (say 35 deg C) will need around 7.32 kWh of energy.

That's probably double the energy needed to heat the water to fill it.

It'd make a nice storage heater afterwards, though.......................

#4 declan52

declan52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts
  • LocationCo. armagh

Posted 25 April 2016 - 12:26 PM

How do you manoeuvre a bath weighing 2 tonne into a house and through the bathroom door.

#5 Nickfromwales

Nickfromwales

Short cuts take three times longer.....Fact

• Moderators
  • 8,182 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales

Posted 25 April 2016 - 02:02 PM

With a bloody crane. :huh:
I take it that this has been considered in the build design for the weight ?
Then there is the weight of the water and the person getting into it to consider also.

Anyhoo......
The op has asked about a waste connection folks, so wrack your brains and let's find one ;).
:)

#6 Nickfromwales

Nickfromwales

• Moderators
  • 8,182 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales

Posted 25 April 2016 - 02:09 PM

I'd go and buy a piece of brass tube the same size of the waste fitting and get it threaded both ends accordingly. Use that with a brass socket at the top to make an extension piece. Have you asked the bath supplier for one yet?
;)

#7 jsharris

jsharris

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 02:10 PM

My guess is that it will need to be a custom fabricated job, as I doubt there is an off-the-shelf fitting that could be adapted. Perhaps the makers of the bath can either supply a fitting or suggest where to get one made?

It shouldn't be a difficult fabrication job to make a top access trap, like a shower, as long as the hole is an adequate diameter. A bit of large diameter brass pipe, with a brazed on standard outlet sized pipe coming out of the side at the bottom, plus a lower flange brazed on and a thread cut to allow a machined up threaded top flange to fit, then just a lift out internal trap tube, with a brass top plate brazed to it. Have the whole lot chrome plated and it should last decades.

It's the sort of job any small machine shop could knock up in half a day, plus however long it takes to get it chromed.

Edited by jsharris, 25 April 2016 - 02:11 PM.
cross posted with Nick saying much the same

#8 ProDave

ProDave

Self build in the Highlands

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts
  • LocationScottish Highlands

Posted 25 April 2016 - 02:28 PM

There was one like this in a house I wired a few years back. I imagine it would need to be craned in before the roof, or floor above goes on, and best of luck to any future owner wanting to change it. The one I saw was in a ground floor bathroom. I wasn't involved in the plumbing or the waste, but my thoughts about filling it and the amount of heat it would take were much the same. Even an old cast iron bath will give you a cold bottom if you get in too quick before the water has heated the bath.

#9 bassanclan

bassanclan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 04:48 PM

The bath is "only" 70mm on the sides.
The weight is being supported on 2no 100x100 he100b steels.
It is being "hiabed" in as soon as i get the underfloor heating down, then we will build the room around it and the roof ontop of it!

#10 jsharris

jsharris

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 05:02 PM

It's the "2 tonnes" that takes the heat! The heat capacity of marble is about 880 Joules per kg per deg C, so raising the temperature of 2 tonnes of it by around 15 deg C is going to take around 26.4 MJ, or around 7.32 kWh. To compensate, you're going to have to fill it with very hot water, otherwise the temperature drop as the marble takes heat from the water is going to cause the bath to be cool pretty quickly.

#11 Barney12

Barney12

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 06:11 PM

POPULAR

View Postjsharris, on 25 April 2016 - 05:02 PM, said:

It's the "2 tonnes" that takes the heat! The heat capacity of marble is about 880 Joules per kg per deg C, so raising the temperature of 2 tonnes of it by around 15 deg C is going to take around 26.4 MJ, or around 7.32 kWh. To compensate, you're going to have to fill it with very hot water, otherwise the temperature drop as the marble takes heat from the water is going to cause the bath to be cool pretty quickly.

Is this the point at which someone links to the thread on boiling water taps?

#12 bassanclan

bassanclan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 08:28 PM

My googling seems to show that a top access trap is incompatible with having a "normal" plug.
All the top access ones seem to be click clack, which I don't think is ideal when the plughole is centrally located.

#13 bassanclan

bassanclan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 08:17 PM

I've had further thoughts on this matter.

I'm thinking that a Belfast sink waste might do the job such as:
http://www.astracast...plug-and-waste/

But I would have to replace the bolt with a much longer one, say 120mm (whereas I guess they only supply a shortish bolt)
Do you think this will work?

My other option is the attached waste from a company called Drummonds, but at £95 it seems a bit steep

Attached Files

Edited by bassanclan, 29 April 2016 - 08:17 PM.

#14 jsharris

jsharris

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 08:29 PM

That Drummonds waste looks OK, but what holds it in place? Where's the trap going to go?

It's pretty cheap for the sort of bath, IMHO. I was thinking through fabricating a top access waste with integral shower type "overflowing concentric tube" trap, accessed from the plug cap and reckoned I could make one up for around £120 in materials (machined up brass, with heavy chrome plate) plus around 10 hours labour, based on the sort of time a pretty decent jobbing machine shop could make one for.

I'd assumed you'd need a wider top access waste, given the thickness of the base of the bath and the probable inaccessibility of the the area under beneath it. If you have space for an accessible trap then things get a lot easier and cheaper.

Edited by jsharris, 29 April 2016 - 08:29 PM.

#15 Nickfromwales

Nickfromwales

• Moderators
  • 8,182 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales

Posted 29 April 2016 - 08:43 PM

£95 for the right waste to go on your 'how-much-did-that-2-ton-marble-bath-cost-you' marble bath is peanuts IMHO. Stop splitting hairs, go buy it, and move onto the next problem ;).
Regards, nick

#16 temp

temp

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,200 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 12:01 PM

Are you sure the Drummond one is a top access trap? It looks like just a standard plug hole to me? The drawing doesn't give the max bath thickness either.

Might be possible to use that with a remote trap?

Edited by temp, 30 April 2016 - 12:09 PM.

#17 Woodgnome

Woodgnome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 12:42 PM

Out of curiosity, how much is the bath costing

#18 Nickfromwales

Nickfromwales

• Moderators
  • 8,182 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales

Posted 30 April 2016 - 01:19 PM

I fitted a 900x900mm marble shower tray, circa 60mm thick and a 3 man lift, around 4 years ago.
That was £1500 new, £750 ex-demo :o
Shitzen!

#19 Woodgnome

Woodgnome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 03:58 PM

Makes the 90 quid for the waste loose change......

#20 Nickfromwales

Nickfromwales

• Moderators
  • 8,182 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales

Posted 30 April 2016 - 06:27 PM

View PostWoodgnome, on 30 April 2016 - 03:58 PM, said:

Makes the 90 quid for the waste loose change......
Exactly.
Can't put a china cup on a plastic saucer !
;)