ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Anyone Bought/hired A Forklift?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 RandAbuild

RandAbuild

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 03:31 PM

Access to our site is quite tight, and having a forklift on hand may be really useful.

Anyone had any experience? Costs to hire / run / maintain? Do hire companies required you to undergo training? Or buy then sell when finished?

Prices on Ebay seem to be about £3-4k, but could these be trouble?

#2 PeterW

PeterW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 03:33 PM

Forklift or telehandler..?

Forklift on a building site would be horrendous unless you've got a perfectly flat and tarmaced plot.?

Telehandlers have their uses (look at Manitou etc) but you may be better off with a JCB 3CX with a 4 in 1 bucket and pallet tines.

#3 RandAbuild

RandAbuild

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 03:38 PM

We're likely to bring in a telehandler as required.

A forklift would be to pick deliveries up from the main (tarmacced) road about 50m from the site along a gravel driveway, and move things around the site as required.

Area in front of the build would be type 1.

#4 alexphd1

alexphd1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 03:51 PM

Site delivery was one of the reasons we swayed for a jcb 3cx over a track digger. We rulled out a telehandler on limited usage. We have found the 3cx very useful but we did hire a 8t track digger when the digging got hard.

Attached Files

#5 RandAbuild

RandAbuild

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 03:58 PM

alexphd1 - I'm hoping the 13 tonne excavator will make light of our stumps!

#6 PeterW

PeterW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 04:01 PM

View PostRandAbuild, on 24 April 2016 - 03:38 PM, said:

We're likely to bring in a telehandler as required.

A forklift would be to pick deliveries up from the main (tarmacced) road about 50m from the site along a gravel driveway, and move things around the site as required.

Area in front of the build would be type 1.

Unlikely to cope with that - I know we had one that struggled to get across just a gravel path.

You may be able to pick up something like a second hand Moffat Mounty but tbh a JCB has much more about it.

Edited to say there are a couple on eBay http://www.ebay.co.u...sd=322074852889

They handle offroad much better but the lift height isn't as good as a telehandler

Edited by PeterW, 24 April 2016 - 04:09 PM.

#7 alexphd1

alexphd1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 04:06 PM

Bigger the machine the better for trees !!The jcb managed the stumps but took a long time. We also made the rookie mistake of cutting the trunks close to the ground. I don't think a forklift would be good on a building site to limited of use and struggle on type1.

Edited by alexphd1, 24 April 2016 - 04:06 PM.

#8 RandAbuild

RandAbuild

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 04:34 PM

We cut our trees down to leave about 1m sticking out - gives the groundworker something to grab hold of.

There are rough terrain forklifts around - this one is on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.u...y8AAOSwdrRXG3XD

#9 ProDave

ProDave

Self build in the Highlands

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts
  • LocationScottish Highlands

Posted 24 April 2016 - 04:55 PM

This one looks more fun http://www.ebay.co.u...sd=111977460552

#10 ProDave

ProDave

Self build in the Highlands

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts
  • LocationScottish Highlands

Posted 24 April 2016 - 04:59 PM

Another thing to consider if it's just moving stuff about is a 3 ton tri axle trailer

#11 Triassic

Triassic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  • LocationCumbria

Posted 24 April 2016 - 05:01 PM

I've used a Climax rough terrain fork truck and can say it will go most places around a building site.

#12 joe90

joe90

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 05:11 PM

I have a JCB 3cx and have not used the pallet forks yet but already know that it's almost impossible to see the tines through the front bucket, it will be interesting when I get to use them !!!!, I think a banks man is necessary.

#13 alexphd1

alexphd1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 05:47 PM

@joe90. Puzzeled this one myself. spoke to a farmer about this problem. if you have the 4 in 1 front bucket you can open the front bucket this gives you a direct line of sight to the forks.

#14 declan52

declan52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts
  • LocationCo. armagh

Posted 24 April 2016 - 06:39 PM

You tilt the bucket out as if your tiping stuff out of it. Use the jaw and open it so there is a gap between it and the bucket. It's not as easy as a forklift but once you get the hang of it you will do it without thinking about it.
Telehandlers and all terrain forklifts need good solid ground to work on. When you turn the wheels it will dig in esp if your carrying heavy materials. If the ground is soft you won't be long ending up with a ploughed field. Easy to get a telehandler out when it's beached, same can't be said with a forklift.

#15 RandAbuild

RandAbuild

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 07:06 PM

ProDave - I'd need to buy another site just to store that!

#16 Triassic

Triassic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  • LocationCumbria

Posted 24 April 2016 - 09:03 PM

I see that you can get forks to fit most excavators arms and in the odd case, forks that fit the dozen blade, should be OK for moving stuff on levelish ground !

#17 jamiehamy

jamiehamy

Water Tank Conversion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts
  • LocationGourock/Largs

Posted 24 April 2016 - 09:29 PM

We were very close to buying a tractor with front forks - glad we didn't. We just hand ball everything - off the trucks (fortunately we can get the truck alongside and walk straight onto the drive area - same level) and then up the hill to the house.

It keeps us fit - but more crucially, a telehandler would struggle to get up the hill without major works to build a road up round the side, and we didn't have the appetite or money for that.

I specify a HIAB truck where I can which helps, or a tail lift for heavy items. Because delivery times are never set, we can't get anything in, unless we want to pay them to wait all day, so in the end, lifting everything off is actually the most straight forward and time and cost effective.

Attached Files

#18 frogeye

frogeye

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 09:41 PM

I had a telehandler for a while, I think it was about £300 a week though.

Managing now with my old Sanderson 4x4 forklift (with it's recently revamped rams!) Good enough for most jobs.

#19 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 26 April 2016 - 12:45 PM

Needed urgently a fork lift truck.