ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Roof And Wall Membranes- Too Much Choice!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Crofter

Crofter

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 10:58 AM

I would be grateful for any pointers or advice on choosing which products to use as my breathable membranes on the roof and walls of my timber framed build. There seems to be a fairly wide range of products available and I don't really know where to start.
On the roof, I will have full fill insulation and osb sarking, then battens and counter battens with steel roof sheets on top. I assume the membrane ought to go on top of the sarking.
Likewise, on the walls I have full fill insulation and osb sheathing, then battens and counterbattens and vertical timber cladding on top. Again, I assume the membrane goes directly onto the osb.

I could of course just assume that it doesn't really matter, and just to buy whatever is available and cheap, but building doesn't seem to work that way...

Edited by Crofter, 24 April 2016 - 10:59 AM.

#2 tonyshouse

tonyshouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts
  • LocationThames Valley

Posted 24 April 2016 - 12:19 PM

No, they want to sell you the most expensive product without any discount.

I reckon newspaper would do on the walls.

Roof best use sarking,then metal sheets can collect condensation wet on their undersides and this can drip, ideally onto sarking and then into the gutters

#3 jamiehamy

jamiehamy

Water Tank Conversion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts
  • LocationGourock/Largs

Posted 24 April 2016 - 01:41 PM

We used Glidevale Protect for out timber section. It's hard to identify the best or what really is needed. For GV Protect, we paid £149+VAT for 50mx1.5 if that help.

#4 cjard

cjard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 02:36 PM

I was certain I'd posted here, darn iPads

My build used Tyvek reflex and Tyvek supro. The glidevale zytec Jamie mentions is the same thing but about half the price, though I should point out that jamies price is what I'd expect Tyvek to be.. For example cwberry.com have 50x1.5 zytec at 71 a roll.
if you use glidevale membranes for the walls you probably want tf200. Be aware that tf200 also comes in a low emissivity foil faced Version called tf200thermo, more expensive, just be aware when doing price comp and also when ordering to make sure you get what you want

Edited by cjard, 24 April 2016 - 02:37 PM.

#5 Crofter

Crofter

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 02:41 PM

View Posttonyshouse, on 24 April 2016 - 12:19 PM, said:

No, they want to sell you the most expensive product without any discount.

I reckon newspaper would do on the walls.

Roof best use sarking,then metal sheets can collect condensation wet on their undersides and this can drip, ideally onto sarking and then into the gutters

I am using sarking, but I want to put something on top of it.

I'm getting the impression that it doesn't really matter what type/brand of membrane though?

One other question- why don't they sell it in 1.2m widths so you can batten it down more easily?

#6 PeterW

PeterW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 03:50 PM

View PostCrofter, on 24 April 2016 - 02:41 PM, said:

I am using sarking, but I want to put something on top of it.

I'm getting the impression that it doesn't really matter what type/brand of membrane though?

One other question- why don't they sell it in 1.2m widths so you can batten it down more easily?

So that you can overlap it.. some need a 200mm overlap so a 1.5m gives you that plus a bit.

Klober stuff isn't too pricey here https://www.roofings...HQAqRoCeQfw_wcB

#7 Woodgnome

Woodgnome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 04:01 PM

If you are putting the membrane directly on the OSB you need one that has a BBA cert for Fully supported application.

#8 joe90

joe90

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 05:16 PM

View PostWoodgnome, on 24 April 2016 - 04:01 PM, said:

If you are putting the membrane directly on the OSB you need one that has a BBA cert for Fully supported application.

Can you suggest one that has this BBA cert.

#9 PeterW

PeterW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 06:00 PM

The one I posted has ...

If you go onto Roofing Superstore they always list the data sheet and BBA cert for each product with it - very few don't have a full cert for both supported and unsupported these days