ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Bodged Flue Installation

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Eagerbeaver

Eagerbeaver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 10:34 PM

Just had a woodburner installed and I'm not impressed with the flue installation.

It's a 200mm twin wall flue.

Fitted in a bungalow with a pitched cathedral roof, they hacked a hole in the ceiling and one through the OSB. All very rough.

The hole inside is just covered by a decorative plate and outside it is just the slates and the flashing. The membrane inside and out is cut back leaving it breached.

They said that the have to cut cumbustiables back 50mm from the flue.

Can anyone tell me how it should have been done please?

#2 Trw144

Trw144

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 06:04 AM

Sounds broadly correct from what your saying, however it's hard to say without seeing the exact detail....

Have a quick look at this and you will see correct procedure...

http://www.schiedel....ochure-2016.pdf

When you say membrane, I assume roofing as opposed to airtight?

#3 Eagerbeaver

Eagerbeaver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 06:28 AM

Yes, roofing membrane.

The bit that seems odd to me, other than the very rough hacking out of plaster, roofing OSB and membrane, is cutting the membrane too far back and then putting another piece of membrane in, in attempt to make it water tight. The membrane touches the twin wall hich gets very vey hot.

I would have expected a fire break plate and the membrane lapping over it.

#4 Nickfromwales

Nickfromwales

Short cuts take three times longer.....Fact

• Moderators
  • 8,182 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales

Posted 23 April 2016 - 12:32 PM

Nothing combustible should be in contact with any part of the flue afaik.
There isn't much science involved here I'm afraid, as stated, it's pretty much exactly what I'd expect to see from a run of the mill stove fitter.
I'm afraid that you should have asked these questions before asking anyone to undertake any work, as then you'll have given them a standard to work to, or at the very least an opportunity to get back in their van and Foxtrot Oscar.
Ask them to redo the membrane in accordance and that's going to be your lot imho, but if you want more work / making good done then there's no harm in asking. ;)
Regards, Nick

#5 Eagerbeaver

Eagerbeaver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 02:16 PM

Yes I've been naive here, believing that a guy who is charging top rates and is the recommended installer of a reputable supplier was going to be professional and I wouldn'thave to think about the detail of what needed to be done.

Lesson learned but will probably be forgotten by next week.

I may get him to just give me the Hetas cert and then redo the job properly.

#6 Trw144

Trw144

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 07:13 PM

As Nick said, I don't think they have done anything wrong per se, just not to the standard you expected.