ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Quality Of Jewsons Indian Sandstone?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 rcaines

rcaines

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 09:28 AM

It has it at a good price so I wondered if anyone has experience of what the quality is like?
Some bits from the top can be picked off but is this normal?

It was either indian sandstone or yorkstone we were thinking of. Anyone have any other suggestions as to where to get decent quality at good price?

Thanks
Becs

#2 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 22 April 2016 - 09:33 AM

We bought loads of indian sandstone from Simply Paving. A better price than any of the local BMS by a fair bit and they were great when we had a damaged pallet delivered, replacing all the cracked stone, with some free spares for goodwill, very quickly. The only snag is that they only offer kerbside delivery on pallets using a standard tail lift truck. They don't usually offer a hiab delivery, but if you are buying a lot then then they can offer hiab delivery for an additional delivery charge.

We bought two patio packs of fossil buff, plus a pallet load of 900 x 600s for paths. I also bought all our driveway pavers, around 9 or 10 pallets, from them, and managed to negotiate a hiab delivery for those at no extra cost.

#3 Barney12

Barney12

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 10:44 AM

This is an interesting thread. the local day works builder I use swears by this Indian Sandstone and funnily enough always buys it from Jewsons as he says they're the cheapest.
As Becs said in her original post it doesn't though look to be that robust?

We will have a huge (60-70 sq mtrs) terrace to pave once the house is built so cost effective solutions are of interest.

#4 temp

temp

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,200 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 11:03 AM

We used India stone from another source. Only problem we have found is that a few bits used on steps have come unstuck. Looking for tips on how to get a really good bond. Polyurethane adhesive? :-)

#5 Barney12

Barney12

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 11:16 AM

View Posttemp, on 22 April 2016 - 11:03 AM, said:

We used India stone from another source. Only problem we have found is that a few bits used on steps have come unstuck. Looking for tips on how to get a really good bond. Polyurethane adhesive? :-)

I cant comment on Indian Sandstone suitability but this works on bog standard concrete slabs:

Drill a few holes in the base and the slab Not more than 50% on the slab. Place stainless threaded bar into the holes and bed down with mortar well (after removing the old mortar). It helps stop horizontal movement.

#6 jsharris

jsharris

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 12:48 PM

The Indian sandstone we used was Fossil Buff, by Bradstone http://simplypaving....2-per-pack.html . The top face is riven and natural looking, complete with fossil ferns in places (there are some photos starting in this post here: http://www.ebuild.co...as/#entry165891 )

The underside of this stone is rough sawn, and gives a very good key to ordinary mortar. Our front steps are made from cut down 900 x 600 fossil buff slabs and have been down for nearly 2 years and show no sign of lifting or cracking between the joints.

The chap that laid the patio said that the key to getting a really good bond was to wet the underside of the stone well before laying it on the mortar bed, to stop the stone sucking the moisture out and causing a weak bond.

Edited by jsharris, 22 April 2016 - 12:49 PM.

#7 temp

temp

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,200 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 04:42 PM

Thanks for the tips. It's stuck pretty well everywhere else except where it's possible to stand on an edge (eg steps) or drive the mower over an edge.

Edited by temp, 22 April 2016 - 04:43 PM.

#8 AliG

AliG

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 04:56 PM

I've been looking at using this kind of paving too. Any views on the sawn versus the riven finish? I thought the sawn finish might be easier to clean and like the look of it, but is there a downside?

#9 PeterW

PeterW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 05:03 PM

Had it down for about 5 years now and it's very easy to lay and to clean too.

I initially pointed it with the SIKA resin sand product and it's useless ..! Bed them on a full semi wet bed and leave to go off then fill the gaps with the premixed dry mortar and water in. Quicker and simpler !

#10 jsharris

jsharris

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 05:37 PM

We preferred the riven finish, so didn't look closely at the honed stuff at all. The riven surface is easy enough to clean, though. The bits of path that are in the shade go a bit green but it washes off easily, most of the time a good rainstorm is enough to clean it, but a yearly brush over with a bit of mild bleach would probably get it as good as new.

Ours was laid exactly as Peter describes above, but the pointing was done with a semi-dry mix, rather than dry and then water. The reason was mainly to allow a better pointed finish around some of the slight unevenness from the riven finish and yet still be dry enough to not risk marking the surface of the stone.

Edited by jsharris, 22 April 2016 - 05:37 PM.

#11 Trw144

Trw144

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 06:02 PM

May or may not be a good price but I received an email from Travis Perkins tonight with Indian sandstone on offer at £15.50/m2.
Just thought I'd make you aware in case that's good

#12 jsharris

jsharris

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 08:37 PM

View PostTrw144, on 22 April 2016 - 06:02 PM, said:

May or may not be a good price but I received an email from Travis Perkins tonight with Indian sandstone on offer at £15.50/m2.
Just thought I'd make you aware in case that's good

If it's graded thickness, and reasonable quality that is good price. We paid about £25/m2 including VAT and free delivery, and that was about the same as the best ex-VAT price we could get from any of the local BM's, so really about 20% cheaper.

#13 Trw144

Trw144

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 09:24 PM

http://www.tptradeof...5-84m2/p/562476