ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Cable For Sonos Play1

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dellboy13

dellboy13

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • LocationEssex

Posted 20 April 2016 - 09:10 PM

Hi all
I was planning to run 0.75mm2 two core flex to each of my Sonos Play 1 from my plant room, which is about 24m run in the worst case. I know the current rating is fine for the cable but I'm worried about the volts drop on such long runs. I have spoken to the Sparks signing off the electrics about it and they said 'it's fine, well within the limits' but they never think about volt drops, they just work on rule of thumbs.
Is 0.75mm2 a little light over that distance?

#2 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 20 April 2016 - 09:19 PM

I'd go for thicker cable, just to reduce the volt drop and cable impedance. I rarely wire speakers with anything thinner than 1.5mm2 multistrand OFC cable and wired all the speakers in our house with 14g OFC stranded cable, which is roughly 2.5mm2 but very slightly better for speakers as it's multistranded.

#3 declan52

declan52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts
  • LocationCo. armagh

Posted 20 April 2016 - 09:36 PM

I just plug mine into the nearest socket in which ever room i am in and use its own WiFi/ethernet to connect to either the online material or my music library.

#4 Nickfromwales

Nickfromwales

Short cuts take three times longer.....Fact

• Moderators
  • 8,182 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales

Posted 20 April 2016 - 11:02 PM

The sonos require mains 230v and line level signal only so .75mm2 ( which is good for 10amps with 1.0mm2 good for 14 ) then I'd say ok. With the cost difference being pennies though, I'd probably run 1.5 to be future proof.
@Jeremy, these are amplified speakers ;)
Regards, Nick.

#5 dellboy13

dellboy13

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • LocationEssex

Posted 21 April 2016 - 05:42 AM

Thanks everybody, I am going to run white 2 core flex so I can bring it straight out of the ceiling and put an IEC C7 straight on the end for a neat install. I wanted to use 0.75mm2 flex as it smallest but Nicks right I will use 1.5mm flex for future proof. If I can not get a C7 on it, I will solder and heat shrink the original cable on the end of the 1.5mm2 flex and slide it back into the ceiling void to hide it.

#6 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 21 April 2016 - 06:25 AM

View PostNickfromwales, on 20 April 2016 - 11:02 PM, said:

@Jeremy, these are amplified speakers ;)
Regards, Nick.

Thanks Nick, I'd not realised this. The ceiling speakers I've fitted had a separate bluetooth amplifier box, with leads to the speakers, and the wall speakers all have cables in the walls run back to a media wiring panel.

#7 Nickfromwales

Nickfromwales

Short cuts take three times longer.....Fact

• Moderators
  • 8,182 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales

Posted 21 April 2016 - 07:39 AM

:)
Fwiw, I would always run a minimum of 1.5mm2 OFC but I typically wouldn't run less than 2.5mm, especially over more than a couple of metres.
Using too big a cable can steal high end frequency so unless it's between an amplifier and a subwoofer don't go higher than 2.5mm2.
Regards, Nick.