ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Land For Sale - Disused Septic Tank On It - Any Advice?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Tempt00

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 11:23 AM

Hi All,

I'm quite new and recently introduced myself as looking to build in Cambridgeshire.

We have found some land that is in the right location, the right size and the right price, with planning permission or the size of house we want though we will need to reapply as we want to make a lot of changes mostly to internal layout but want to move the position of the garage too.

The drawbacks to it is that (see earlier post) it has some contaminated soil due to previous use as railway and coal store. There report says that it is just the top1 metre of hardcore that needs removing and replacing with top soil and this will be sufficient. The seller on the advert states at if sold for asking price they will deal with contamination.

In addition, I have just discovered from estate agent that the plot actually includes an additional piece of land which is about 2 metes wide 40 metres long, however at the bottom of that land is a disused aboveground Septic Tank, which s apparently been 'cleaned and decommissioned'.

I'm waiting to get a phone call to clarify some other points I have raised, not sure what I should be asking about this tank though? Should I just be steering clear?

Any advice appreciated.

#2 PeterW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 12:15 PM

Depends if its a septic tank or a cesspit, and whether its a one piece unit..? It can easily be dealt with as it can be dug out.

What would you use that land for..? and is it useable at all..?? although it sounds like a "extra" 80sqm, it seems more like a headache....

Removing the top layer of the land is going to be very expensive - by "dealing with" the contamination, what is the vendor planning to do as digging out 2-300 cubic metres of waste is going to take a lot of effort !