ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Shed Roof Felt.

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 daiking

daiking

Advanced Member

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts
  • LocationSouth Manchester

Posted 17 April 2016 - 11:36 AM

I've got 2 pitched roof sheds that need new felt.

Any specific recommendations for felt that is reasonable value and will last a few years?

Should only need 13m even if using full width over the ridge. So will pay a bit more for the felt if it it lasts a couple more years.

Edited by daiking, 17 April 2016 - 11:37 AM.

#2 ProDave

ProDave

Self build in the Highlands

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts
  • LocationScottish Highlands

Posted 17 April 2016 - 01:01 PM

I will never ever agin use conventional felt on a shed roof. Not unless you actually enjoy replacing it every 6 years or so.

I used courogated black roofing sheets from B&Q on my last shed and they are lasting well. No need for a backing board just fix them to a frame, and it will hopefully be a much longer lasting shed roof product than roofing felt. My neighbour used it on his shed that he built 12 years ago and it's still going strong. That would be on it's second lot of roofing felt by now and coming up for replacement again.

Edited by ProDave, 17 April 2016 - 01:11 PM.

#3 Nickfromwales

Nickfromwales

Short cuts take three times longer.....Fact

• Moderators
  • 8,182 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales

Posted 17 April 2016 - 01:15 PM

Quite draughty though, no?
:unsure:

Edited by Nickfromwales, 17 April 2016 - 01:15 PM.

#4 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 17 April 2016 - 01:15 PM

My neighbour has covered his shed roof with some sort of dark green very heavy duty PVC recently, rather than felt. I've no idea where he got it, but did notice when he was doing it last week that it was all in one piece, so no joints, and seemed very thick. If I remember I'll try and see if I can ask him next week where he got it from.

Years ago I patched up a small shed roof with some left over EPDM pond liner, and that worked surprisingly well. The only mistake I made was laying it on a cold day, so it would wrinkle in the sun. I think that if I'd laid it on a hot day it would probably have stayed tight. It was still in very good condition when we sols the house a couple of years later, so I think it may well have had a long life.

I've never found a roofing felt that lasts well when just nailed down on a shed roof, even the very best seems to fail after less than 10 years.

#5 daiking

daiking

Advanced Member

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts
  • LocationSouth Manchester

Posted 17 April 2016 - 01:49 PM

These sheds are legacy items, 6X6 & 8x6 with a boarded roof. I want a quick fix for both and lasting 5-6 year is fine, 2-3 years isn't.

They'll probably get moved as well so the ridge may need doing again

#6 declan52

declan52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts
  • LocationCo. armagh

Posted 17 April 2016 - 02:40 PM

Don't nail or staple the felt. I have always used an adhesive to stick the felt down and both my shed roofs lasted well over 10 years. One came down as it had a rats nest under it and the other is still in use by the guy who bought my house. I used stixall on the roof of the shed I have now.

#7 Nickfromwales

Nickfromwales

• Moderators
  • 8,182 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales

Posted 17 April 2016 - 04:05 PM

View Postdeclan52, on 17 April 2016 - 02:40 PM, said:

Don't nail or staple the felt. I have always used an adhesive to stick the felt down and both my shed roofs lasted well over 10 years. One came down as it had a rats nest under it and the other is still in use by the guy who bought my house. I used stixall on the roof of the shed I have now.
Legend.
That sounds like a bloody good solution to my shed dilemma. GRP ridge and bonded felt over osb sounds cheap and reliable :). Nailed the rely on the first small ( 8x8x8' ) shed and very little left of it after the recent bad weather :(. Wind killed it.
Keep 'em coming, I'm still all ears !
Regards, Nick.

#8 tonyshouse

tonyshouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts
  • LocationThames Valley

Posted 17 April 2016 - 04:08 PM

I use high performance green mineral felt and nail battens over it at about 600c/c vertically. This keeps felt in place for 20 yrs

#9 jamiehamy

jamiehamy

Water Tank Conversion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts
  • LocationGourock/Largs

Posted 17 April 2016 - 05:12 PM

Any reason not EPDM? You could lay a one piece quite easily. We just did 70m2 and were delighted with how easy it was. We've only got 200m2 left...

#10 declan52

declan52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts
  • LocationCo. armagh

Posted 17 April 2016 - 05:19 PM

View PostNickfromwales, on 17 April 2016 - 04:05 PM, said:

Legend.
That sounds like a bloody good solution to my shed dilemma. GRP ridge and bonded felt over osb sounds cheap and reliable :). Nailed the rely on the first small ( 8x8x8' ) shed and very little left of it after the recent bad weather :(. Wind killed it.
Keep 'em coming, I'm still all ears !
Regards, Nick.
It's a quick method to do and once stixall grips its stuck for ever. Might need a nail or 2 at a corner to hold it in place while you roll it out as it can have a mind off its own sometimes.
See in the land of the hot press we sometimes release our secrets to the rest of the world and occasionally they are nuggets.

#11 Nickfromwales

Nickfromwales

• Moderators
  • 8,182 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales

Posted 17 April 2016 - 05:20 PM

View Posttonyshouse, on 17 April 2016 - 04:08 PM, said:

I use high performance green mineral felt and nail battens over it at about 600c/c vertically. This keeps felt in place for 20 yrs
What makes the difference in the 'high performance' felt? Thicker / other?
Regards, Nick.

#12 Nickfromwales

Nickfromwales

• Moderators
  • 8,182 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales

Posted 17 April 2016 - 05:21 PM

View Postdeclan52, on 17 April 2016 - 05:19 PM, said:

It's a quick method to do and once stixall grips its stuck for ever. Might need a nail or 2 at a corner to hold it in place while you roll it out as it can have a mind off its own sometimes.
See in the land of the hot press we sometimes release our secrets to the rest of the world and occasionally they are nuggets.
Your saying the rest of the world are nuggets? :huh:
:D

#13 Nickfromwales

Nickfromwales

• Moderators
  • 8,182 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales

Posted 17 April 2016 - 05:28 PM

View Postjamiehamy, on 17 April 2016 - 05:12 PM, said:

Any reason not EPDM? You could lay a one piece quite easily. We just did 70m2 and were delighted with how easy it was. We've only got 200m2 left...
I've been looking at the prices of the DIY kits, but at 24-28m2 ( flat roof or apex roof ) I really need to watch the budget. Only looking for a 6-8 year life tbh then it'll be coming down most likely, so pointless spending out on a roof I don't intend keeping for good. ;)
Any idea on supply cost p/m2?
Regards, Nick.

#14 declan52

declan52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts
  • LocationCo. armagh

Posted 17 April 2016 - 05:31 PM

View PostNickfromwales, on 17 April 2016 - 05:21 PM, said:

Your saying the rest of the world are nuggets? :huh:
:D
Well have you never heard the saying " you'll never beat the Irish".

#15 ProDave

ProDave

Self build in the Highlands

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts
  • LocationScottish Highlands

Posted 17 April 2016 - 05:35 PM

View PostNickfromwales, on 17 April 2016 - 01:15 PM, said:

Quite draughty though, no?
:unsure:
They sell an infil piece shaped to match the courogations of you want to seal the edge a bit.

It's a shed for tools and mowers, not a workshop so nothing wrong with a bit of ventilation.

Edited by ProDave, 17 April 2016 - 05:49 PM.

#16 tennentslager

tennentslager

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

Posted 17 April 2016 - 05:44 PM

View PostNickfromwales, on 17 April 2016 - 05:28 PM, said:

I've been looking at the prices of the DIY kits, but at 24-28m2 ( flat roof or apex roof ) I really need to watch the budget. Only looking for a 6-8 year life tbh then it'll be coming down most likely, so pointless spending out on a roof I don't intend keeping for good. ;)
Any idea on supply cost p/m2?
Regards, Nick.
Six quid per metre plus VAT plus more for adhesive (maybe twenty quid) and trims if you want them.

#17 Nickfromwales

Nickfromwales

• Moderators
  • 8,182 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales

Posted 17 April 2016 - 05:52 PM

£20 worth of adhesive will lay ~26m2?
:)

#18 Nickfromwales

Nickfromwales

• Moderators
  • 8,182 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales

Posted 17 April 2016 - 05:53 PM

View PostProDave, on 17 April 2016 - 05:35 PM, said:

They sell an infil piece shaped to match the courogations of you want to seal the edge a bit.

It's a shed for tools and mowers, not a workshop so nothing wrong with a bit of ventilation.
I've already built the single feather edge shed for the mower and garden toys / pool etc, this is the man cave were talking about here B)
;)

Edited by Nickfromwales, 17 April 2016 - 05:53 PM.

#19 tennentslager

tennentslager

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

Posted 17 April 2016 - 06:01 PM

View PostNickfromwales, on 17 April 2016 - 05:52 PM, said:

£20 worth of adhesive will lay ~26m2?
:)
Just had a look...thirty squids.
Rubba-seal.co.uk

#20 tennentslager

tennentslager

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

Posted 17 April 2016 - 06:06 PM

It's latex for the main area and standard contact adhesive for 12" around the perimeter.
I used it on the hut as its one piece no joins and if your tidy you can do the edges without trims .
Just like making a bed with hospital corners al la army days :)

Edited by tennentslager, 17 April 2016 - 06:06 PM.