ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Lurking No Longer

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 pcinbrid

pcinbrid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 07:14 PM

Hello. As the title suggests I've been lurking on the site for a while looking at posts, finding everyone's contributions really useful for topics in which I'm interested.

Having built new about 12 years ago we (wiffy + me) now have a renovation project of a 1970s bungalow which we intend to modernize, upgrade, etc. We've had new central heating system installed (so we could be warm), upgraded electrics (to feel safe), and just had replacement doors & windows (so we no longer watch curtains blowing in the wind). We've been in the place for 11 weeks.

Now we are about to commence relatively small structural work (removal of part of 2 internal walls, both of which hold up the roof, employing a builder), and start to upgrade thermal elements - floors, external walls (internally), and ceilings and roof (most of which we will do ourselves). There's other stuff too like new bathrooms and kitchen and the like. Work is expected to last at least two years as we have no intention of half-killing ourselves at our age.

Our building control inspector has raised an issue or two to which I would be interested in your responses.....I'll get round to posting these in the appropriate sections of the forum.

In the meantime, having now 'come out' (no, not like that) I can now stop feeling just a little bit guilty every time I quietly peruse everyone's posts.

Peter

#2 Barney12

Barney12

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 07:41 PM

Welcome out of the shadows :)

#3 recoveringacademic

recoveringacademic

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,343 posts
  • LocationLancaster, Lancashire

Posted 14 April 2016 - 08:22 PM

View Postpcinbrid, on 14 April 2016 - 07:14 PM, said:

In the meantime, having now 'come out' (no, not like that) I can now stop feeling just a little bit guilty every time I quietly peruse everyone's posts.

Lurking, the official term for what most visitors to this forum do, is completely normal. No need for guilt. You can even lurk in the smallest room in the house because there's a mobile version too.

''...half killing ourselves at our age...' I'd be interested in the age profile of ebuilders. Bet you lots of money most of us are '...of though not yet in the grave...'

Lurk on.
Ian

#4 Mackers

Mackers

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationBanbridge

Posted 14 April 2016 - 09:43 PM

Welcome! Good to see new faces

#5 Nickfromwales

Nickfromwales

Short cuts take three times longer.....Fact

• Moderators
  • 8,182 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales

Posted 14 April 2016 - 09:59 PM

Welcome abroad. :)
Regards, nick.

#6 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 15 April 2016 - 08:22 AM

:D How far, Nick? ;)

#7 Nickfromwales

Nickfromwales

• Moderators
  • 8,182 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales

Posted 15 April 2016 - 08:57 AM

Bollocks. :blink:
That will have to stay !
:lol:

#8 pcinbrid

pcinbrid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 09:55 AM

Thanks folks. Just love Welsh Wales! (Does that count as a bonus point?)

#9 Nickfromwales

Nickfromwales

• Moderators
  • 8,182 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales

Posted 16 April 2016 - 03:52 PM

Yup. Puts you 3 points behind joiner
:P