ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Can't Log In On I-phone

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 13 April 2016 - 04:49 PM

this started about 3 weeks ago where it just won't sign in,
username an pword are accepted but it just refreshes back to an un logged in screen
i assumed an update would fix it but alas no :(
anyone else had the same issue and fixed it?
I'm getting a new phone in a few days so hopefully that will fix it but for the mean time ??????

any thoughts welcome

Ed

#2 Alphonsox

Alphonsox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts
  • LocationCounty Down, NI and Forest of Dean, England

Posted 13 April 2016 - 06:17 PM

Which browser are you using ? (and have you tried an alternative ?)

#3 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 13 April 2016 - 06:21 PM

just the standard Safari, and no, TBH i hadn't even considered that there was an alternative,
do you know any you would recommend?
it used to work fine then just stopped :wacko:

#4 Alphonsox

Alphonsox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts
  • LocationCounty Down, NI and Forest of Dean, England

Posted 13 April 2016 - 06:36 PM

I use chrome, but I've just tried Safari and it's working fine for me.

#5 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 13 April 2016 - 06:41 PM

chrome on an iPhone??? interesting....
ill look into it,

thanks for the help ;)

#6 PeterW

PeterW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 08:08 PM

It's what I use but you get annoying black lines with "Loading Content" that only disappear if you refresh the content page

#7 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 13 April 2016 - 08:17 PM

well its a pain in the ass but it works.

#8 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 13 April 2016 - 08:43 PM

POPULAR

Get a Windows phone, at least you will know from the start that nothing will ever work.

#9 Nickfromwales

Nickfromwales

Short cuts take three times longer.....Fact

• Moderators
  • 8,182 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales

Posted 13 April 2016 - 08:57 PM

Mine locked me out of any safari pages the other day. Just switched it off and back on again and hey presto!
Smart phone, my arse :rolleyes:
:)

#10 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 13 April 2016 - 09:02 PM

View PostSteamyTea, on 13 April 2016 - 08:43 PM, said:

Get a Windows phone, at least you will know from the start that nothing will ever work.

i had the original HTC one i think with the stylus, it was awesome, you could actually get into "program files" on a phone! and it had external storage!, TBH if it was just a phone i would probably still be "non apple"
but then "antivirus happened"!,
i spent years! literally years! waiting for the poxy thing to update or refresh or search my computer or generally f*ck up my day, and then i heard apple didn't have that problem. i was sceptical so i tested it first, its true! "the apple experience" is really quite pleasant. you can't mess with as much as you might want but day 2 day its very nice to use

Edited by ConstructionChannel, 13 April 2016 - 09:03 PM.

#11 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 13 April 2016 - 09:17 PM

I still use my HTC Desire C, the one with an upgradeable Android on it.
Best thing about it, it fits in my pocket. Battery lasts days, but then I have no friends.
I was offered a free upgrade, but it was one of 3 Windows rubbish. My old lodger had one and it was really dreadful.
I may get a new battery for this one when it dies.
I think I am one of the few people that has never lost or broken a phone, had the same number for nearly 20 years too. Bargain for 8 quid a month.

#12 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 13 April 2016 - 09:28 PM

:D literally yesterday i ordered the iPhone SE, its going to cost me about £860 total in the next 2 yrs inc 10gb Data/month. there is nothing wrong with my 4s i brought from new but the battery is starting to get a little annoying and TBH i am looking forward to the new camera and in-built motion processor.

the 4s is still on its original screen and is still going to be kept but there is a whole bunch of stuff thats available on the new one

Edited by joiner, 14 April 2016 - 05:53 AM.

#13 Nickfromwales

Nickfromwales

Short cuts take three times longer.....Fact

• Moderators
  • 8,182 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales

Posted 13 April 2016 - 10:34 PM

I got the 6S about 5 months ago, and hate it. It's just too big. The SE I believe is about the same size as the 5 so may well be tempted.
Regards, Nick.

#14 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 14 April 2016 - 06:06 AM

Too many extremely useful gizmos on Android to even think of going Apple, especially as my phones (Vodafone own-brand 4G - virtually identical to my 'old' Samsung A3 - and Blackberry Torch) sync with everything on my PC that makes life "easier" (calendar, One Note), also syncing with the Lenovo tablet/laptop (which I take with me when I'm at Shirehall for most of the day, because a lot of what I do as a "councillor" isn't directly involved with the "official" functions that involve working within the official council system installed on the council-issued iPad - I certainly wouldn't buy one), and the Windows tablet that I slip into a shoulder bag to take with me when I need the bigger screen but not the full functionality of the Lenovo.

I suppose you go with whatever suits your work and/or lifestyle.

(Oh, and pocket.) ;)

Edited by joiner, 14 April 2016 - 06:06 AM.

#15 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 14 April 2016 - 06:14 AM

I often get the feeling that phones are sold on future capability i.e. there will be an application tomorrow.
Trouble with that is that by then, there will be a new phone out that will promise even more.

"Sell the dream, not the product"

#16 notnickclegg

notnickclegg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationHampshire/Surrey Borders

Posted 14 April 2016 - 07:47 AM

View PostSteamyTea, on 14 April 2016 - 06:14 AM, said:

"Sell the dream, not the product"

For Seinfeld fans, "You don't sell the steak, you sell the sizzle!"

Jack

#17 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 14 April 2016 - 08:27 AM

Part of the problem is that it's getting increasingly hard to get away from the new sales model that essentially means you don't own the device you've purchased at all, only rented the capability until such time as the provider decides to remove that capability.

One of the first things I did when I got my Sony tablet was to root it, then delete the Sony firmware and install the "clean" Cyanogenmod android build instead. Massively better in almost every respect, with no very annoying (and expensive and slow) constant background "updating" by Google (which is a complete pain when you only have a very slow and costly GSM data connection). It's worked fine for a year, with me doing a couple of updates. Battery life improved by around 30%, too, and the whole tablet was snappier and much easier to use.

Sadly, last week, someone who shall remain nameless, decided to load Google Maps on to it. This caused Google Services to also be loaded, and yesterday the battery went flat. I checked the stats (the open source Cynaogenmod version of Android has a neat widget that tells you which apps are using power, data etc) and found that 25% of the battery had been consumed over two days with the tablet off by Google Services, together with about 6% of my data allowance. This is when the damned thing was just sitting in the glove box of my car, and hadn't been used since I last charged it on Monday. Clearly the things has been sending data, at my expense, back to Google, or doing something with Google that's caused it to use power and data.

I'm now going to wipe it again and re-install Cyanogenmod and lock the thing from loading any apps from Google (easy to do in Cyanogenmod). There's a decent open source mapping app that I can load to replace the Google Maps app, and by getting rid of Google Services I'll get back control of when things power on and be able to get the improved battery life back.

It's incidents like this that really annoy me. I'm sure buried in the depths of whatever licence Google get you to agree to there is the right for them to turn on your device and transfer data at your expense, but I prefer to have things under my control, not theirs. Thankfully, the Cyanogenmod community are exceptionally good at walking the fine line between keeping it open source (which means excluding Google code) and yet working with Google on the core changes to the open source Android kernel. They do clearly warn that Google services cannot be used without agreeing to Google's Ts and Cs, and also that as soon as you do load anything from Google your device will get "taken over" again, which is why, by default, this open source version has no Google features, branding etc, until you load the Play Store app and download an app from there. If you stick to sideloading (from known sources) and stay away from the Play Store, you can avoid a lot of hassle, it seems.