ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

BBC 2 - Are You Finishing A Self-Build House?

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#41 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 13 April 2016 - 08:13 AM

About Central Heating this one

#42 DavidofMersea

DavidofMersea

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationWest Mersea

Posted 14 April 2016 - 09:23 PM

View PostCrofter, on 12 April 2016 - 09:06 PM, said:

A high end window will lose less than half as much heat as a cheaper one, per unit area. When you work out your annual heating costs it can make a significant difference.

I built my present house 16 years ago, and at that time I thought all windows were much the same and I bought from a local supplier who was quite cheap. I found that the patio doors were rubbish, and as you say losses a lot of heat. However, all the other windows are perfect, even though they were cheap.

I had a window company, who are expensive and supposed to be quality workmen, who took my patio windows right out and refitted them, and whilst they are much better, they are still not leak wind and rain tight

My problem is not knowing who is giving grand talk and calling their windows up market and charging a lot when thy are rubbish, and a genuine quality supplier, who will cost more. I don't mind paying extra for good quality, but I don't know good quality when I see it, and before it is fitted

#43 ProDave

ProDave

Self build in the Highlands

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts
  • LocationScottish Highlands

Posted 14 April 2016 - 09:56 PM

If you are looking for quality windows, forget your local (or even national) "double glazing" companies.

Look at the likes of (in no particular order) Nordan, Rarionel, Internorm, Katzbeck, Munster Joinery, Russel Timbertech, Uni one, Tree Craft.

No doubt there are others, that's just the ones we looked at.

#44 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 15 April 2016 - 06:35 AM

View PostDavidofMersea, on 14 April 2016 - 09:23 PM, said:

I built my present house 16 years ago, and at that time I thought all windows were much the same and I bought from a local supplier who was quite cheap. I found that the patio doors were rubbish, and as you say losses a lot of heat. However, all the other windows are perfect, even though they were cheap.

I had a window company, who are expensive and supposed to be quality workmen, who took my patio windows right out and refitted them, and whilst they are much better, they are still not leak wind and rain tight

My problem is not knowing who is giving grand talk and calling their windows up market and charging a lot when thy are rubbish, and a genuine quality supplier, who will cost more. I don't mind paying extra for good quality, but I don't know good quality when I see it, and before it is fitted

I had all the doors and windows in our current house (not the new build) replaced about 7 or 8 years ago with the best uPVC double glazed units I could find in the replacement window market (bearing in mind that some of the better window manufacturers will not supply replacement windows, only new builds).

Despite the effort I went to to buy the best performing windows I could find they are very poor compared to the doors and windows in the new house, and leak around twice as much heat, don't keep external noise out well and don't have good airtight seals.

For the new build we were on a tight budget but needed good, airtight triple glazed windows and doors. Those we have fitted are performing exceptionally well, so well that in cold weather condensation forms on the OUTSIDE of the glass, with the inner pane at room temperature, which is a very good indication as to how thermally efficient they are. The most noticeable feature is that when the doors and windows are latched closed the house is silent inside, even low flying aircraft outside cannot be heard.

There are more windows in our current house than in our new build, including a sliding patio door, with a slightly greater overall area of glazing than the new build. The cost of the rather poor 28mm double glazed units we have was around £6500 fitted, around 8 years ago. The cost of all the triple glazed doors and windows in the new build was £8500 fitted. For an extra £2,000 over what we paid 8 years ago we have got windows with at least twice the overall performance. For us that seemed a worthwhile investment, as the small extra cost of these better windows makes such a substantial difference to the comfort of the house, and makes a big contribution to its overall energy consumption.

Edited by jsharris, 15 April 2016 - 06:36 AM.

#45 Crofter

Crofter

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 06:56 AM

View PostDavidofMersea, on 14 April 2016 - 09:23 PM, said:

It shouldn't have to be a guessing game. Window suppliers should be giving you figures on air leakage, Uw, and Ug. Claims about thermal performance should have numbers on them.

Akin's first law: Engineering is done with numbers. Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

#46 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 15 April 2016 - 07:05 AM

That's very true, but it's compounded by the fact that an "A" rated window isn't very good, and that most of the good triple glazed systems far exceed the rating system. This has to be confusing for buyers, because they could, quite reasonably, assume that an A rated window was going to have high performance.

It is a pity that we need to look at the real performance data in detail, rather than accept the simpler rating system, but that probably has a lot to do with the rating system being there primarily as a marketing tool.....................

#47 NSS

NSS

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 08:38 AM

View PostProDave, on 12 April 2016 - 06:06 PM, said:

Pray tell who offered you that deal. B)

Also when the time comes, give us a heads up as to what program on what channel is showing it please.

Hi Dave, sorry, but if you go back to my post and drag your cursor across the whole post to highlight the text.... :ph34r:

Here's one of the latest pics (fascia boards will be painted grey as per the barge boards).

Posted Image

#48 fuzzy

fuzzy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 11:58 AM

why would people want to watch someone building a house if they hadnt got into difficulty. its essentially a pretty boring experience for those on the outside.

#49 ProDave

ProDave

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 12:12 PM

NSS, don't PAINT the fascia boards, that is leaving you an ongoing mainetnenace task forever.

Mine will be over clad with Marley (or similar) aluminium facings, hopefully the same colour as the windows. http://www.marleyalu.../fascia-type-a/

#50 bitpipe

bitpipe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 747 posts
  • LocationBerkshire

Posted 15 April 2016 - 12:19 PM

View PostProDave, on 15 April 2016 - 12:12 PM, said:

NSS, don't PAINT the fascia boards, that is leaving you an ongoing mainetnenace task forever.

Mine will be over clad with Marley (or similar) aluminium facings, hopefully the same colour as the windows. http://www.marleyalu.../fascia-type-a/

I've just had this done - was not the cheapest option but looks very sharp, especially when combined with box guttering and downpipes all to the same RAL.

Never need to get the paint brush out now!

#51 ProDave

ProDave

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 12:28 PM

View Postbitpipe, on 15 April 2016 - 12:19 PM, said:

I've just had this done - was not the cheapest option but looks very sharp, especially when combined with box guttering and downpipes all to the same RAL.

Dit you use that Marley one, or a different one?

Rather unhelpfully the Marley site just says available in 11 colors without even telling you what those are, and no mention of an option to specify the RAL colour of your windows.

#52 Remarkable

Remarkable

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 12:45 PM

Sorry it's taken me so long to come back, but thanks for your comments. I've especially enjoyed the Archers chat ;-)

I won't post on the thread again, as it's your forum, but I did want to make clear that we're looking for self-build projects to follow from ground-up AND we're also actively looking for projects that may already be well underway, but which may have run into difficulties - so that we can help to get them out of difficulty and up and running again.

We always hope and pray that the projects we follow run smoothly, without hitch or drama, as problems during a build and during our filming schedule cause difficulties for everyone.

NSS - I know you were joking, but... if only!

#53 NSS

NSS

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 01:02 PM

Hi Dave

Already painted most of them, and the scaffold is now down so will paint the rest and consider the Marley stuff when time comes for some maintenance.

View PostProDave, on 15 April 2016 - 12:12 PM, said:

#54 NSS

NSS

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 01:03 PM

Glad someone realised :D

View PostRemarkable, on 15 April 2016 - 12:45 PM, said:

NSS - I know you were joking, but... if only!

#55 worldwidewebs

worldwidewebs

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationCheshire

Posted 15 April 2016 - 01:14 PM

View Postbitpipe, on 15 April 2016 - 12:19 PM, said:

Have you got any photos you can share? I quite like this idea and we're having some aluminium cladding anyway

#56 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 15 April 2016 - 01:29 PM

View PostRemarkable, on 15 April 2016 - 12:45 PM, said:

I won't post on the thread again, as it's your forum, but I did want to make clear that we're looking for self-build projects to follow from ground-up AND we're also actively looking for projects that may already be well underway, but which may have run into difficulties - so that we can help to get them out of difficulty and up and running again.
Rather than just vanish, why don't you hang around and see what are the real problems that people have.
It can be anything from buying a plot, planning issues, design issues, building control, deal with the council, trees...

There is so much to draw on.
What people join a forum for is solutions to problems, not to gloat at others failures, that is what Twitter is for.

Edited by SteamyTea, 15 April 2016 - 01:31 PM.

#57 bitpipe

bitpipe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 747 posts
  • LocationBerkshire

Posted 15 April 2016 - 02:09 PM

View PostProDave, on 15 April 2016 - 12:28 PM, said:

Dit you use that Marley one, or a different one?

Rather unhelpfully the Marley site just says available in 11 colors without even telling you what those are, and no mention of an option to specify the RAL colour of your windows.

I found a guttering / fasica contractor who sources his own 3mm aluminium profiles and gets it powder coated to any RAL, his guys install on site. Corners were mitered and the box ends were made to order and welded off site. We also had alu coping on the gable tops so the whole project was moving out of the realm of DIY - they've done a good job.

While investigating I found a good supply only firm though, www.guttercrest.co.uk they do welded corners and box ends also.

#58 ProDave

ProDave

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 03:38 PM

View Postbitpipe, on 15 April 2016 - 02:09 PM, said:

While investigating I found a good supply only firm though, www.guttercrest.co.uk they do welded corners and box ends also.
I looked at them. All the pictures on their site are of large commercial buildings. I formed the impression they probably wouldn't be bothered with the really rather small amount of aluminium fascia cladding that I want.

Edited by joiner, 15 April 2016 - 03:55 PM.

#59 bitpipe

bitpipe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 747 posts
  • LocationBerkshire

Posted 15 April 2016 - 03:44 PM

View PostProDave, on 15 April 2016 - 03:38 PM, said:

I looked at them. All the pictures on their site are of large commercial biuldings. I formed the impression they probably wouldn't be bothered with the really rather small amount of aluminium fascia cladding that I want.

They were quite happy to supply me.

#60 DavidofMersea

DavidofMersea

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationWest Mersea

Posted 15 April 2016 - 04:40 PM

View PostProDave, on 15 April 2016 - 03:38 PM, said:

I looked at them. All the pictures on their site are of large commercial buildings. I formed the impression they probably wouldn't be bothered with the really rather small amount of aluminium fascia cladding that I want.

Why not ask them, they can only tell you to .... off