ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

BBC 2 - Are You Finishing A Self-Build House?

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#21 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 12 April 2016 - 01:36 PM

Be better to put David Archer inside for being:

A: A bad farmer
B: A strange relationship with his daughter.

Or just lock up Linda Snell fro 'furious riding'.

Edited by SteamyTea, 12 April 2016 - 01:36 PM.

#22 Barney12

Barney12

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 02:14 PM

POPULAR

Well personally I could never entertain going on one of these house build/renovation TV shows. The wife/partner always ends up pregnant and after 24 years of marriage without children that's a risk I'm not taking :D

#23 jamiehamy

jamiehamy

Water Tank Conversion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts
  • LocationGourock/Largs

Posted 12 April 2016 - 02:43 PM

eh, lock up the creepy Fairbrother brothers. What a pair of weirdos...

Anyway, back to this programme - I thougt about it for....well, about 3seconds. Not a cats chance. Really? Your build is going wrong and you think a film crew will help? Who actually would volunteer for that?

#24 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 12 April 2016 - 02:51 PM

View PostBarney12, on 12 April 2016 - 02:14 PM, said:

Well personally I could never entertain going on one of these house build/renovation TV shows. The wife/partner always ends up pregnant and after 24 years of marriage without children that's a risk I'm not taking :D

My feelings precisely. Boundless Productions (the people that make Grand Designs) contacted us not long after we got PP. I mentioned it to SWMBO and her answer wasn't one I could put here. Suffice to say that it included a rude reference to the presenter, that I took to be a definite "no"...................

#25 daiking

daiking

Advanced Member

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts
  • LocationSouth Manchester

Posted 12 April 2016 - 02:53 PM

Now, if it were Nick Knowles, I'd be asking where do I sign up?

#26 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 12 April 2016 - 03:03 PM

I wonder if Remarkable will get back to us and say why their show will be different this time. ;)

#27 Triassic

Triassic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  • LocationCumbria

Posted 12 April 2016 - 03:38 PM

The problem with most of these home shows, is that they don't show homes located in the real world, DIY SOS excepted !!

#28 Barney12

Barney12

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 04:22 PM

POPULAR

View Postdaiking, on 12 April 2016 - 02:53 PM, said:

Now, if it were Nick Knowles, I'd be asking where do I sign up?

If it was Nick or Adam Henson the farmer off Countryfile my wife would be pregnant ;)
But that's OK because I will have run off with Ellie Harrison from Countryfile :D

Edited by Barney12, 12 April 2016 - 04:22 PM.

#29 DavidofMersea

DavidofMersea

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationWest Mersea

Posted 12 April 2016 - 04:50 PM

View Postbitpipe, on 12 April 2016 - 12:58 PM, said:

Our window installer has done a few Grand Designs, says that KMC's favoured tactic is to chat to them for 20 mins, pumping them for information and then deliver a piece straight to camera regurgitating what they told him moments previously.

How can a window installer do "a few Grand Designs"? The owner finds his own window people, and they are all over the country. Your post sounds like something just to put somebody down

#30 Alphonsox

Alphonsox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts
  • LocationCounty Down, NI and Forest of Dean, England

Posted 12 April 2016 - 05:27 PM

View PostDavidofMersea, on 12 April 2016 - 04:50 PM, said:

How can a window installer do "a few Grand Designs"? The owner finds his own window people, and they are all over the country. Your post sounds like something just to put somebody down
And that would appear to be an uninformed conclusion.

There are relatively few high end window companies and installers around. At the very high end single companies cover huge areas of the country. So if your Grand design requires serious windows (and most do) you are choosing from a very limited number of companies. Bitpipe installed Gaulhofer which is definitely on the esoteric side and a make used on more than a few Grand Designs

#31 ProDave

ProDave

Self build in the Highlands

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts
  • LocationScottish Highlands

Posted 12 April 2016 - 05:41 PM

+1 to that. There are probably less than a dozen good window companies, and the few good ones are used time and time again by people on here. For each good window company you will probably find several on here that are or have used them. So it's hardly surprising that they keep coming up on GD.

I don't however recall any of the programes saying who made the wiindows on a particular project, I guess that would be advertising or "product placement"

I know for a fact that I am one of many on here using Rationel, and the same applies for any other good window supplier you care to name.

Edited by ProDave, 12 April 2016 - 05:43 PM.

#32 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 12 April 2016 - 05:43 PM

I agree, I've seen the same products used on several different GD programmes, and with high end window suppliers there's hardly a massive choice, so it's inevitable that the same companies are going to appear from time to time.

You only need to read this forum to realise that the same half dozen to a dozen window suppliers keep getting mentioned, as there really isn't a great deal of choice any more.

There is some limited advertising on GD, I don't think it's an accident that contractors often seem to be wearing new work wear or hi-vis with their company logo on it.

Edited by jsharris, 12 April 2016 - 05:45 PM.

#33 NSS

NSS

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 05:54 PM

Cynics, the lot of you. Our build is being filmed for a new 6-part programme (ie all 6 x 45 minute episodes will feature our build). Supplier discounts negotiated to date on the back of this have saved us just under £42,000 and the only condition imposed on us was that I stop updating my blog until the programmes have aired.
Only kidding :rolleyes:

Edit: Because it wasn't a space

Edited by joiner, Today, 06:06 AM.
Massive space deleted

Edited by NSS, 13 April 2016 - 07:49 AM.
Massive space deleted

#34 ProDave

ProDave

Self build in the Highlands

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts
  • LocationScottish Highlands

Posted 12 April 2016 - 06:06 PM

Pray tell who offered you that deal. B)

Also when the time comes, give us a heads up as to what program on what channel is showing it please.

Edited by ProDave, 12 April 2016 - 06:12 PM.

#35 bitpipe

bitpipe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 747 posts
  • LocationBerkshire

Posted 12 April 2016 - 06:11 PM

I'd better not mention that my SE knows Piers from these shows and told me about his (slightly pretentious) voicemail message.

Well done NSS - I might just have to get a mate with a camcorder round for the last few jobs and see if I can get a few quid knocked off....

#36 DavidofMersea

DavidofMersea

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationWest Mersea

Posted 12 April 2016 - 07:47 PM

View PostAlphonsox, on 12 April 2016 - 05:27 PM, said:

And that would appear to be an uninformed conclusion.

There are relatively few high end window companies and installers around. At the very high end single companies cover huge areas of the country. So if your Grand design requires serious windows (and most do) you are choosing from a very limited number of companies. Bitpipe installed Gaulhofer which is definitely on the esoteric side and a make used on more than a few Grand Designs

From the support you have for your information, I accept that I was wrong. I was not aware that there were so few high end window suppliers.

BTW what is better about a high end window, other than the usual fit and finish?

Edited by joiner, 13 April 2016 - 06:07 AM.
"finish" for "finnish"

#37 jamiehamy

jamiehamy

Water Tank Conversion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts
  • LocationGourock/Largs

Posted 12 April 2016 - 08:02 PM

View PostDavidofMersea, on 12 April 2016 - 07:47 PM, said:

From the support you have for your information, I accept that I was wrong. I was not aware that there were so few high end window suppliers.

BTW what is better about a high end window, other than the usual fit and finnish?

The fit and finish. Quality of materials. Design. Performance. And often, the service you get with paying more. :)

#38 Crofter

Crofter

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 09:06 PM

View PostDavidofMersea, on 12 April 2016 - 07:47 PM, said:

BTW what is better about a high end window, other than the usual fit and finnish?

A high end window will lose less than half as much heat as a cheaper one, per unit area. When you work out your annual heating costs it can make a significant difference.

#39 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 13 April 2016 - 06:08 AM

:)

Crofter, read that through again, mate. ;)

#40 Nos

Nos

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 07:52 AM

Reminds me of that old Tim Somethignorother show, the one where he showed how a vacuum cleaner or fax machine worked. Had 'Take Five' as the theme tune.

The program you are thinking about was "The Secret Life of Machines" Was an avid fan. Nos]

Edited by Nos, 13 April 2016 - 07:53 AM.