ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

BBC 2 - Are You Finishing A Self-Build House?

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#1 Remarkable

Remarkable

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 09:15 AM

The House That £100K Built

BBC TWO's 'The House That £100K Built' is looking for people for the latest series.

If you're building your own home and you'd like help or inspiration from our experts, then the show wants to hear from you.

We're particularly looking for builds which have started, but which may be running into difficulties.

Please email us at

100khouse@endemoluk.com

#2 declan52

declan52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts
  • LocationCo. armagh

Posted 12 April 2016 - 09:34 AM

Why does it have to showcase some poor sod in difficulty. Not every self build is a collection of horror stories.

#3 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 12 April 2016 - 09:40 AM

Do you have an inspirational energy expert? If not, I am free.

#4 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 12 April 2016 - 09:44 AM

View Postdeclan52, on 12 April 2016 - 09:34 AM, said:

Why does it have to showcase some poor sod in difficulty. Not every self build is a collection of horror stories.

Some are, Declan, some are....................... :mellow:

#5 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 12 April 2016 - 09:48 AM

There should be a show about getting though planning, and how long it can take.

#6 ProDave

ProDave

Self build in the Highlands

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts
  • LocationScottish Highlands

Posted 12 April 2016 - 09:48 AM

Well my only "difficulty" is the inability to sell our present house so the funds are drying up for the new one.

Will BBC2 pay me handsomely to feature my ugly mug on their program to soirt out my difficulty? Or will they come and buy my present house? There that's two solutions to the problem, then I can get on building.

Edited by joiner, 12 April 2016 - 10:32 AM.

#7 jsharris

jsharris

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 09:52 AM

View PostProDave, on 12 April 2016 - 09:48 AM, said:

Well my only "difficulty" is the inability to sell our present house so the funds are drying up for the new one.

Will BBC2 pay me hansomly to feature my ugly mug on their program to soirt out my difficulty? Or will they come and buy my present house? There that's two solutions to the problem, then I can get on building.

As someone who's worked and appeared on TV shows I can tell you that the words "pay" and "handsomely" don't usually apply.

I will happily reveal that I was paid about £200 a day for working my socks off on a certain well-known Channel 4 programme in a fairly modest role. When working on Poldark and the Onedin Line in a very minor way I think I got around £25 a day, plus meals...................

Edited by jsharris, 12 April 2016 - 10:59 AM.
typo (who'd when I meant who's.....

#8 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 12 April 2016 - 10:11 AM

Called 'user generated content'.
Blame Andy Warhol.

Edited by SteamyTea, 12 April 2016 - 01:06 PM.

#9 gravelld

gravelld

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 10:13 AM

View PostSteamyTea, on 12 April 2016 - 09:40 AM, said:

Do you have an inspirational energy expert? If not, I am free.
Don't be ridiculous.

But they are probably searching for an aspirational vintage character expert, or something like that.

#10 DavidofMersea

DavidofMersea

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationWest Mersea

Posted 12 April 2016 - 10:45 AM

View PostProDave, on 12 April 2016 - 09:48 AM, said:

Will BBC2 pay me handsomely to feature my ugly mug on their program to soirt out my difficulty? then I can get on building.

There is a programme for you called "Selling houses with Amanda Lamb"

Edited by DavidofMersea, 12 April 2016 - 10:46 AM.

#11 recoveringacademic

recoveringacademic

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,343 posts
  • LocationLancaster, Lancashire

Posted 12 April 2016 - 11:43 AM

View PostRemarkable, on 12 April 2016 - 09:15 AM, said:

..........We're particularly looking for builds which have started, but which may be running into difficulties.

Schadenfreude. It's what sells TV. Call me cynical? Yeah, you'd be right.

Cynicism is not innate, it's a learned attitude. Learned by being manipulated by the media.

#12 bitpipe

bitpipe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 747 posts
  • LocationBerkshire

Posted 12 April 2016 - 12:07 PM

These are primarily entertainment shows so need to have drama and characters. I guess they quickly filter out all the sensible people and projects.

On the other hand, the Reassembler on BBC4 was almost perfect slow TV, although it still felt a bit rushed to me and could easily have filled an hour (or two).

#13 declan52

declan52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts
  • LocationCo. armagh

Posted 12 April 2016 - 12:10 PM

View Postjsharris, on 12 April 2016 - 09:44 AM, said:

Some are, Declan, some are....................... :mellow:
I know that misery makes good viewing but instead of spending 10mins showcasing an issue with his cash flow how about showing more info on his heating system for a change or what has been done to improve his insulation values over building regs.

#14 ProDave

ProDave

Self build in the Highlands

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts
  • LocationScottish Highlands

Posted 12 April 2016 - 12:18 PM

View PostDavidofMersea, on 12 April 2016 - 10:45 AM, said:

There is a programme for you called "Selling houses with Amanda Lamb"
That is a show about houses not selling because they don't have the right cushoins on the sofa, and the buyers can go and choose an identical one in slightly better condition instead. Again I shout at programes like that. Are the buyers to daft to see through a bit of clutter?

Our house is well presented and a one off house in a nice location. a completely different market, one that sadly at the moment there are not many buyers for.

Edited by ProDave, 12 April 2016 - 12:18 PM.

#15 jsharris

jsharris

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 12:49 PM

View Postbitpipe, on 12 April 2016 - 12:07 PM, said:

These are primarily entertainment shows so need to have drama and characters. I guess they quickly filter out all the sensible people and projects.

On the other hand, the Reassembler on BBC4 was almost perfect slow TV, although it still felt a bit rushed to me and could easily have filled an hour (or two).

They are indeed. The world of Scrapheap Challenge/Junkyard Wars (the US version) is a small one (you may have noticed that experts and judges may appear more than once) and a friend and fellow aviator in the US, Chuck Slusarczyk, did a show where their build went flawlessly. It didn't make for good TV, so the crew sabotaged it to create a bit of friction between the two teams (each thoguht the other was to blame). Made for a better TV show, having Chuck and Barnaby (the other team leader) almost slugging it out on the heap..................

I agree about James May and the Reassembler, I thought that it was both a good show and nice to see James May outside the shadow cast by Clarkson.

#16 Crofter

Crofter

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 12:53 PM

I was recently talking to someone who was on site at a renovation that was being filmed for C4. The film crew were bored sitting around with nothing much happening, so they took all the weights off the top of the stacks of PIR and filmed one or two of them blowing away. They then went back to their cars to have lunch whilst the remainder of the stack blew into the sea.
My source said he had done work at a substantial discount on the promise of publicity- of course neither his product nor his company were mentioned at all in the final edit...

#17 bitpipe

bitpipe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 747 posts
  • LocationBerkshire

Posted 12 April 2016 - 12:58 PM

Our window installer has done a few Grand Designs, says that KMC's favoured tactic is to chat to them for 20 mins, pumping them for information and then deliver a piece straight to camera regurgitating what they told him moments previously.

#18 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 12 April 2016 - 01:12 PM

I got a bit concerned about James May's face when he played the guitar, was a bit to 'orgasmic'.
Very concerned when they showed a bloke behind him in the final few seconds.
Not going to touch the iPlayer till after 9PM from now on. :D

Reminds me of that old Tim Somethignorother show, the one where he showed how a vacuum cleaner or fax machine worked. Had 'Take Five' as the theme tune.

But who needs telly, we have months of wondering what is going to happen to Helen (going to be a cliff hanger but she will get off).

Edited by SteamyTea, 12 April 2016 - 01:15 PM.

#19 DavidofMersea

DavidofMersea

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationWest Mersea

Posted 12 April 2016 - 01:31 PM

View PostSteamyTea, on 12 April 2016 - 01:12 PM, said:

Reminds me of that old Tim Somethignorother show, the one where he showed how a vacuum cleaner or fax machine worked. Had 'Take Five' as the theme tune.

Tim Hunkin. Yes he is very good

#20 jsharris

jsharris

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 01:34 PM

View PostSteamyTea, on 12 April 2016 - 01:12 PM, said:

But who needs telly, we have months of wondering what is going to happen to Helen (going to be a cliff hanger but she will get off).

I'm not so sure. She has a long history of being a "victim", what with Greg killing himself, her eating disorders, you name it. I suppose there's always the point that we've already had Susan doing a jail term for harbouring her brother, though, so maybe we're due another one of them inside.