ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Resin Solvent... What Is It Really?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 recoveringacademic

recoveringacademic

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,343 posts
  • LocationLancaster, Lancashire

Posted 11 April 2016 - 07:53 PM

Stihl resin solvent is very expensive. £16 for 300ml. It'd be cheaper to use cheap gin. And more cheerful.

Does anyone know a sensibly priced alternative - something that won't ruin bearings while stripping the goo off the chain?

#2 PeterW

PeterW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 08:24 PM

For a chainsaw chain ..??

Take it off, dump it into some diesel or white spirit and then leave it for a day.

Quick scrub with SWMBOs toothbrush and Roberts your mothers brother ...

#3 declan52

declan52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts
  • LocationCo. armagh

Posted 11 April 2016 - 08:26 PM

I just hit the chain with a dry paint brush to clean off any muck then brush on some chain oil with another brush. Pay attention to where your oiling holes are on the frame and the chain bar. Don't want these to get blocked.
I then use wd40 and give it a good spray bending the chain back and forth to work into the joints.

#4 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 11 April 2016 - 08:27 PM

What does it smell like?
Go though the normal ones, meths (cheaper than gin), Acetone (nail vanish remover, cheaper than gin in bulk), Gasoline (cheaper than gin), diesel (cheaper than gin), engine cleaner (more expensive than gin), wife beater (cheaper than gin)...

Edited by SteamyTea, 11 April 2016 - 08:27 PM.

#5 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 11 April 2016 - 08:35 PM

Safest may be IPA, better than acetone or MEK and probably fine for dissolving most tree resins and eco-friendly chainsaw oil. Not particularly harmful to skin (unlike acetone, MEK, toluene etc) and safe on plastics, synthetic rubber seals etc, so unlikely to harm anything on the saw.

#6 recoveringacademic

recoveringacademic

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,343 posts
  • LocationLancaster, Lancashire

Posted 11 April 2016 - 08:47 PM

View Postjsharris, on 11 April 2016 - 08:35 PM, said:

Safest may be IPA,

That'd be the stuff my dad used to drink on a Friday night, then ; IPA the bitter ?

#7 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 11 April 2016 - 08:50 PM

Indian Pale Ale, cheaper than gin B)

#8 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 11 April 2016 - 08:57 PM

View Postrecoveringacademic, on 11 April 2016 - 08:47 PM, said:

That'd be the stuff my dad used to drink on a Friday night, then ; IPA the bitter ?

IsoPropyl Alcohol, cheap, relatively harmless, good for sterilising stuff, dissolves most oils pretty well, it's a polar solvent (will wash off and dissolve in water), it doesn't attack most plastics and you can even wash cuts with it (stings like hell, but it'll kill pretty much any bug...................)..