ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Removing Paint From A Brickwall

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 jonathon916

jonathon916

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 11:44 AM

Hi, has anyone come across a good easy! method of removing paint from old brick walls. I think it's the weathershield type?. The wall has had no gutter on it for some years and some of the paint is falling off, would like to leave it a few more years so it all falls off, but I need to dry it out. I have seen some form of chemical peel method but not too sure about this?. Blasting it is not a very good option as you tend to remove the surface of the brick and loads of mortar, and can end up making things worse.

#2 Nos

Nos

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 11:59 AM

How big is the wall? Chemical, Sand blast,(gently), Flap wheel, Scraper, Jet wash, there are lots of ways but you have to find one to suit your situation, I am just cleaning a small wall myself using an old wood chisel and a flap wheel. Nos

#3 jonathon916

jonathon916

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 12:07 PM

Hi, it's a big wall!. About 20ft long and 3 stories high including a chimney breast. I have a good scaffold tower so working height is not an issue.

Edited by joiner, 11 April 2016 - 12:46 PM.

#4 jonathon916

jonathon916

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 12:10 PM

Jet wash is to be avoided because the wall is already wet and will soak up moisture like a sponge, the bricks are old and soft.

#5 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 11 April 2016 - 12:47 PM

Can you tell how far the paint has penetrated the surface?

#6 tonyshouse

tonyshouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts
  • LocationThames Valley

Posted 11 April 2016 - 12:48 PM

Elbow grease or needle gun - sand blasting works too but is often too aggressive and Pitts the bricks and erodes the mortar joint

#7 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 11 April 2016 - 02:56 PM

Hence my question about the depth of penetration because it's a BIG wall.

You can blast with a soft grit...

https://www.kramerin...sting-media.htm

e.g....

http://www.supablast...st-cleaning.php

Any number of examples of various mediums on You Tube. Again e.g...

https://www.youtube....h?v=k6m6C7LNvAo

#8 jonathon916

jonathon916

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 03:40 PM

It looks like it's had several coats of something in the past, could be limewash?. The wall has been painted a few times with more layers in the easy to get to places. The bricks are a couple of hundred years old, so the paint has got into all the marks and imperfections.

#9 cjard

cjard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 03:45 PM

View Postjoiner, on 11 April 2016 - 02:56 PM, said:

Any number of examples of various mediums on You Tube.

You'd imagine the average psychic would have at least seen a good sandblasting headed their way if not the subsequent videoing and uploading to social media?

#10 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 11 April 2016 - 03:57 PM

:P Possibly, but to save anyone else trying for the obvious, in that specific context the word was deliberately used to describe an "intervening substance or agency for transmitting or producing an effect". ;)

#11 TheMitchells

TheMitchells

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationBicester, Oxfordshire

Posted 22 April 2016 - 06:46 PM

We saw an interesting product at the NEC last weekend - It was a paint stripper from Eco Solutions and looked really good. They had found some wood in a skip with several layers of gloss paint and after leaving the product on for a while, it just scrapped off. The product is solvent free and may be worth a try. It is water based so you may be able to leave it on then wash it off with more water?
I was also impressed with their product for removing artex as it came off in a paste so no worries about breathing in dust.
The people doing the demo were www.diydoctor.org.uk and they sell the paint remover.

#12 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 22 April 2016 - 07:21 PM

one word of caution would be to check there is no lead based paints before you start considering blasting, Had a neighbour go mad and make us stop work until the paint had been checked.

FWIW there was no lead

#13 jonathon916

jonathon916

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 12:39 PM

The render has come off the stone sections ok, the brick wall is proving more of a challenge. The bricks are old and soft, and whoever did the rendering 'keyed' the bricks first, so they may have to be covered up by boarding or more render, but anything is a big improvement on pebbledash!.

#14 Onoff

Onoff

My pressures!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 04:32 PM

View PostConstructionChannel, on 22 April 2016 - 07:21 PM, said:

one word of caution would be to check there is no lead based paints before you start considering blasting, Had a neighbour go mad and make us stop work until the paint had been checked.

FWIW there was no lead

Why did he go mad.....lead fumes? :lol: Or was that mercury?

#15 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 23 April 2016 - 06:46 PM

the guy was was a miserable @!## anyway so recon he just wanted to cause us issues