ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Another Hello From The Lothians

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bythesea

Bythesea

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 09:12 AM

Hi All,

Long time lurker....first time poster!

Been reading the forum for ages (something to do with planning and legal 'issues' taking two years to resolve!) but we are finally close to getting underway with our build and with all the bits of paper completed I dont think I can jinx anything (last words)!

Plan is to build a highly efficient (passive or close to it) house on the coast out in East Lothian.
So, things I have gleaned over the past while and are trying to follow......
  • Highly efficient/insulated......good....check
  • Renewables......good....check (pv, probably sunamp but having decision crisis and dropping ASHP for simple combi (we have gas supply)
  • Timber Frame (poss MBC or Eden etc)....good....check
  • Talk of Thermal Mass.....bad....very bad ;-)
Bitpipe has been a help as I've been one of those annoying ones asking questions in private rather than posting (about basements). Apologies!

Thanks all, its a great forum and has been a big help.
BTS

#2 ProDave

ProDave

Self build in the Highlands

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts
  • LocationScottish Highlands

Posted 11 April 2016 - 09:59 AM

Hi and welcome to the forum.

It was going so well until you mentioned thermal mass. Have a read of this thread http://www.ebuild.co...rmal-mass-myth/

Best to ask all questions on the forum not by PM, then more people can answer and help you.

#3 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 11 April 2016 - 02:59 PM

.........AND it spreads the pearls of wisdom. ;)

#4 Redoctober

Redoctober

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationMilton Keynes

Posted 11 April 2016 - 04:18 PM

Hi & welcome - We are entering the final stages of securing a plot of land in the Borders, so not far from you. Like you, it seems, the whole process has taken an unbeliveable amount of time - 12 months down the line and we are still awaiting for the "missives" to be agreed - or something along those lines :wacko: So, will look forward to your progress.
Enjoy the forum.

PW.