ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

New Computer And Decided On A Retrograde Step..

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 09 April 2016 - 04:49 PM

... allegedly.

I went back to a PC.

The "old" Acer has seen me well for a couple of years but was getting a bit unstable, to the extent of closing everything down when I rested a hand on the side of the casing - annoying when you've just spent 10 or 15 minutes writing something and then have to do it again.

So I went onto the PC World website (yeah, I know, but) and looked around and was quite taken with the idea of a screen larger than 15.4 inches and with a slim monitor I could push to the back of the desk and still see what I was doing.

Saw the HP "All-on-One' and decided to have a look at one in the flesh. Convinced. Nice looking and actually touch-screen as well.

Spent the morning today setting it up and very pleased. The biggest advantage is being able to sit back in my chair, write and see what I'm writing on a screen that now shows a full "page".

Why did I torture myself with a laptop for all this time??

Just wish there was a quick transfer method for documents and pictures. Copying all the docs took 35 minutes to download onto a 32GB stick and 15 minutes to upload onto the PC. The copying of 5,000-plus pictures is now 42% done after 2.5 hours.

Is someone now going to tell me that it could have been done in ten minutes if only I'd asked earlier? :rolleyes:

#2 joe90

joe90

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 04:58 PM

I must confess I use my wife's old laptop but it's a pain, I still have my desktop and fancy getting it working as I find it easier to use than a laptop, nothing wrong with my eyes it's just that screens are getting smaller :)

#3 worldwidewebs

worldwidewebs

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationCheshire

Posted 09 April 2016 - 05:01 PM

Just connect the laptop to a monitor. Job's a carrot

#4 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 09 April 2016 - 05:05 PM

View Postworldwidewebs, on 09 April 2016 - 05:01 PM, said:

Just connect the laptop to a monitor. Job's a carrot

Exactly what I do. I have a small laptop and it's a pain, so I have 22" monitor and just plug that in, together with a decent keyboard and mouse, whenever I want to work for more than ten minutes.

#5 Mackers

Mackers

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationBanbridge

Posted 09 April 2016 - 05:36 PM

I have a 17" laptop and a 20" screen. I want to upgrade to a 24" screen. It makes life so much easier!

#6 oz07

oz07

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 06:00 PM

Is fire wire still a thing? Used to upload video from camera on. Needs the hardware though

#7 gravelld

gravelld

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 06:13 PM

When I was younger I thought computer upgrades were all about RAM and CPU.

Nowadays I think multiple large monitors are one of the very best upgrades.

Get a decent keyboard too, I suggest Filco.

#8 Alphonsox

Alphonsox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts
  • LocationCounty Down, NI and Forest of Dean, England

Posted 09 April 2016 - 06:48 PM

View Postgravelld, on 09 April 2016 - 06:13 PM, said:

When I was younger I thought computer upgrades were all about RAM and CPU.

Nowadays I think multiple large monitors are one of the very best upgrades.

Get a decent keyboard too, I suggest Filco.

Couldn't agree more - I have a very lightweight laptop with a 12" screen which is great for traveling. I use a pair of 28" IPS monitors when at my desk

#9 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 09 April 2016 - 09:25 PM

I have binocular instability, so quite happy with my laptop monitor, it stops me having to move my eyeballs too much and then falling off my chair.

#10 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 09 April 2016 - 09:36 PM

Already using one of the two wireless mice I have. This keyboard isn't too bad, but it's a bit 'chunky' and noisy. I have a brilliant bluetooth k/board I use with my iPad, but it's a bit small for regular use.

And yes, Oz, I remember firewire. Dead easy.

I've stopped the download of the pics because it was still only at 44% an hour after that last post, so decided I'd do it in batches over time. Life's too frigging short.

Nice sound on this machine (speakers below the screen) as well.

#11 ferdinand

ferdinand

Advanced Member

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 10:17 PM

I use a BenQ 17" monitor which was only a couple of hundred, and pretty good.

I'd never heard of them, but It reviewed well, and I am happy.

Ferdinand

#12 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 10 April 2016 - 06:13 AM

But had forgotten about the very low background hum from the cooling fan!

The advantage of the PC over a laptop with a monitor (which I'd seriously considered some time ago) is that this monitor sits at the back of the desk with its front about 6" from the back edge. The keyboard is 3" from the front of the desk. There is 10" between the back of the keyboard and the front of the monitor, that's the space I put documents I'm working on.

Now measure between the front edge of your laptop and the back of the monitor it's attached to. Now measure the space between the back edge of your laptop and the front edge of the monitor. Oops. If the monitor is directly in front of you, where it's the most comfortable for working, you'll have most of its screen hidden by the screen of the laptop (unless it folds right back and/or under). So you'll be working with the monitor over to one side of your desk? Comfortable is it? ;)

Had the Acer not started playing up I would never have had the chance to weigh up all the pros and cons of each. After many years with a laptop (the Acer was only the second, following on the Toshiba which lasted for an age before completely giving up) I'd forgotten about the PCs, and certainly had no idea how much they'd changed in the interim, especially the advances in monitor technology and these superb slim-line models with such fantastic resolution. I'd got so used to the 'naturalness' of the laptop in an age of mobile technology that I never gave a thought to the "old" way of doing things.

I'm still mobile and have the Lenovo X200 as both a back-up (for use and as back-up storage) and the 10" tablet that slips into a shoulder bag - along with the council iPad - for use as a mobile presentation facility off a memory stick.

And the Lenovo now has its hand-writing capability back. I bought One Note 2003 off ebay which overcame the MS One Note 2016 lack of hand-writing recognition and direct conversion into a text document - brilliant for meetings with the laptop screen swivelled to convert to a tablet which you write on with a "proper" pen-stylus, not the stubby you'd have to use on other machines.

I feel as if I've discovered religion. :rolleyes:

Edited by joiner, 10 April 2016 - 06:16 AM.

#13 gravelld

gravelld

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 07:01 AM

Yes, it's perfectly comfortable. You move your head. This is the standard way people who work on creative things (coders, designers) work, nothing weird going on here.

Obviously you don't use the laptop's keyboard, although I have known some people to have a two monitor vertical arrangement. Monitor is a bit close for me then.

#14 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 10 April 2016 - 07:24 AM

Have you put an energy monitor on it to see how much juice it is using?

#15 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 10 April 2016 - 08:11 AM

Just plugged the Maplins 'Monitor' in and the display is so faint that it can't be read, so no, have no idea what it's consuming.

But why would that matter?

As for the monitor over to the side? Yes, that's how you would have to work with a monitor on a laptop, and yes 'nothing weird going on there', I worked like that for years when I had the old CRT PC monitors in a small cottage with a narrow table for a desk in a tiny back room. When we moved here I built a corner unit in this room with the monitor raised on a shelf above the working area, directly in front of me (which you'll recognise as the conventional layout of a "computer desk"), because working for so many years with the monitor over to the side possibly had contributed to a painful neck ache, or at least hadn't helped a painful neck probably caused by hard manual work on site on old buidings and in the workshop, even though working for myself doing creative things. All I know is, once I was looking directly at what I was working on in front of me life at the desk got a lot easier.

But then I'm possibly confusing cause with effect. Major correlation error. :)

Edited by joiner, 10 April 2016 - 08:12 AM.

#16 Alphonsox

Alphonsox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts
  • LocationCounty Down, NI and Forest of Dean, England

Posted 10 April 2016 - 08:32 AM

My monitors measure at around 30W each.
For low fatigue use of computer equipment the monitor should be directly in front of you with your eyes level with the top of the screen roughly level with your eyes. The keyboard should allow you to type with your elbows roughly at right angles - We have had a spate of RSI problems at work over the last few years, these recommendations seem to have helped.
The easiest solution to using a laptop with a monitor is to spend £10 on a USB keyboard allowing you to close the laptop lid entirely

#17 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 10 April 2016 - 08:33 AM

My laptop is one of those impossibly thin things, a bit slimmer than a Macbook Air. When using it with a monitor I stand the laptop on edge behind the monitor, with the desk clear in front, except for the wireless keyboard and mouse. I used to do the same when I was using a small Samsung netbook with a monitor.

When I was at work we didn't have desktop PCs, just a laptop docking station at the rear corner of the desk, with the monitor on an articulated arm fixed to the corner of the desk so it "floated" in front of you, wherever you wanted it, or could be just shoved out of the way if you wanted to get rid of the distraction and have a clear desk. Practically the whole desk in front of you was clear, except for the keyboard and mouse, and they could be shoved to one side when not needed. The great advantage was that you had the same stuff on your "PC" wherever you were, and you could just dock your laptop into a conference room to give presentations, work at home or on the train with it, or work on your desk, and you always had the same data and look and feel of your personalised set up.

#18 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 10 April 2016 - 08:41 AM

View Postjoiner, on 10 April 2016 - 08:11 AM, said:

But why would that matter?
My old desktop, without the monitor running, used more than I need for showering. My last but one laptop was not brilliant either.
This one is excellent, about the same a a couple of LED lightbulbs.

#19 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 10 April 2016 - 09:17 AM

65W according to this...

http://www.pcworld.c...138556-pdt.html

#20 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member