ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Hands Up Those Of You Who Can Blow A Hole In The Side Of A Shipping Container!

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 recoveringacademic

recoveringacademic

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,343 posts
  • LocationLancaster, Lancashire

Posted 10 April 2016 - 02:46 PM

View PostSteamyTea, on 10 April 2016 - 01:01 PM, said:

Still welding is fun and you can get a good suntan on your hands and arms, only wimps wear gloves. B)

Happy to be a wimp then. Gloves is where it's at. Talking of which.....

I've seen some blokes touching the welding rod to steady it..... what's that about then?

I've only picked up two super-heated rod stumps with my bare left hand. Just the two. :(

#22 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 10 April 2016 - 02:52 PM

It holds the rod in the right place at the start of the process. After that you can generally 'feel' where the rod is going.

So what welder did you get in the end?

Edited by SteamyTea, 10 April 2016 - 02:53 PM.

#23 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 10 April 2016 - 02:57 PM

have you tried putting the rod onto the wet ground and then tried to pick up the work piece. :D
I wasn't quite sure what was going on to start with :wacko:

#24 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 10 April 2016 - 03:20 PM

At this point I'm shaking my head in disbelief and walking sadly away.

"Why so glum, Dave?"

'They're allowed to vote.'

:rolleyes:

#25 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 10 April 2016 - 03:42 PM

chin up Dave, I don't normally bother ;)

#26 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 10 April 2016 - 03:46 PM

That is called 'Democracy in Action' ;)

#27 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 10 April 2016 - 05:51 PM

:)

#28 Onoff

Onoff

My pressures!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 07:33 PM

An old friend, sadly now dead (electrocuted :( ) was attempting to repair the underside of a rusty oil tank that was raised up on concrete blocks. He was a big lad & there was just enough room for his shoulders between the blocks so he had to shuffle in. Lying on his back in the obligatory T-shirt he laid "down" a lovely overhead bead. Without thinking he reached for the chipping hammer he had on his stomach and the slag / weld fell off in a long length landing dead centre of his chest where it melted to his T-shirt. Unable to move sideways he had to shuffle back out albeit a tad quicker than he got in. He used to tell people the ensuing scar was from his heart transplant!

The electrocution story was again a Darwin Award qualifier without the funny ending.

#29 Nos

Nos

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 12:37 PM

Not much good at stick welding, so was pleased when MIGs were available at a better price. As for seeing what you where doing, Iam afraid I was of the put glove over arc type, it served me well until early September 1980, I cocked up, had to go to hospital for a few hours, patch over eye, bloodshot, streaming with tears, felt like needles jabbing in it, my wedding went well the day after :wacko:, for all the bloody photos I had to take the patch off, talk about red eye in the pictures, we are still married so it must have been love, it certainly wasn't for my welding. Nos

#30 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 11 April 2016 - 12:45 PM

In the one factory I was welding foreman in, there was a secretary who used to walk down from the technical department to the production office, walking through the welding bays to get there instead of walking around them to my office, I think because she enjoyed the attention (and as a Daisy Duke lookalike she got plenty of that, trouble is she did often stop production).

I warned her about it every time, even having a word with her boss, but she just laughed...until the day she didn't appear at work because of "a very painful eye condition that had come on suddenly at the end of the previous day".

She never did it again.

The guys asked me if I couldn't supply her with a set of blinkers. A couple of them were only half-joking. :rolleyes: