ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Hands Up Those Of You Who Can Blow A Hole In The Side Of A Shipping Container!

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 recoveringacademic

recoveringacademic

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,343 posts
  • LocationLancaster, Lancashire

Posted 09 April 2016 - 04:30 PM

I can.

Easy.

Turn the welder up to 120 amps, have a slightly shaky hand while attempting to weld a hook onto the door (so the wind can't blow it shut on my foot more than once).... and Bob's yer Uncle.

Still, doesn't matter, 'cos nobody but us lot know.

I'm like a dog with several extra ... well you know.

Lazy ecologist in your life? Yeah. Sure.

But at the moment I just don't care

#2 joe90

joe90

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 05:00 PM

At least you can now practice welding up holes you created ( we've all been there ).

#3 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 09 April 2016 - 05:52 PM

me too, in many many ways :D

#4 declan52

declan52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts
  • LocationCo. armagh

Posted 09 April 2016 - 06:13 PM

Not a guy living who has ever lifted a welder looked down after doing what you thought was a good job only to find you have melted what you where supposed to weld. All part of the learning.
Setting yourself on fire is the next box you have to tick.

Edited by declan52, 09 April 2016 - 06:43 PM.

#5 Nickfromwales

Nickfromwales

Short cuts take three times longer.....Fact

• Moderators
  • 8,182 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales

Posted 09 April 2016 - 06:39 PM

Pmsl.
I bought floor pans for my 1275GT and after 2 weeks of blindness, my sight retuned so I could see I'd actually turned my arc into a plasma. :lol:
There was less metal there than when I started :blink:
Happy days.
Ian, keep at it mate ;) Practice on scrap first you nutter. !!
Regards, Nick.

#6 PeterW

PeterW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 07:15 PM

View Postdeclan52, on 09 April 2016 - 06:13 PM, said:

Not a guy living who has ever lifted a welder looked down after doing what you thought was a good job only to find you have melted what you where supposed to weld. All part of the learning.

Or you learn all the moves to the welders dance ..!!

Buy a cheap baseball cap and wear it backwards - no sparks down your neck...

And never tuck the overalls into the boots - unless you can get one off it less than a nanosecond ..!

#7 recoveringacademic

recoveringacademic

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 07:48 PM

View Postdeclan52, on 09 April 2016 - 06:13 PM, said:

Chipping hot slag off is a barrel of laughs too. Especially when it went straight down my pullover and T shirt into my waistband.

God did I move fast

Not sure about setting myself on fire. My brother in law told me to get a fire-resistant set of overalls. I scoffed at the time. Better get on to Amazon and order a pair.

#8 declan52

declan52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts
  • LocationCo. armagh

Posted 09 April 2016 - 07:58 PM

I done it. Hot rock went through a hole in my hoodie into the pocket. Didn't notice till the hoodie and t shirt where on fire and my belly was being singed by the fire. Cue a smouldering idiot jumping about beating myself in the belly while the rest of the guys where in tears laughing at me.
Get them overalls ordered up.

#9 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 09 April 2016 - 09:22 PM

Don't weld in Cornish National Dress, I still got the scar on my foot.

One of my great tricks with arc welding is to do a beautiful looking weld, but only on one side. Pick up the piece and it falls in half.

#10 Nos

Nos

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 08:54 AM

Don't weld in a shed, while charging a battery :blink: fortunately it was winter so was well wrapped for the acid rain. :mellow: Nos

#11 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 10 April 2016 - 09:30 AM

My worst welding experience was when welding in a repair section in the floor pan in front of the rear subframe of a Mini (1960's vintage). The car had been bodge repaired (it wasn't mine - a friend and I had a part-time car repair business in the late 70's). I was welding the new panel in with the car up on stands, lying on my back and using a Portapak (the small, portable oxyacetylene kit BOC used to sell). Unseen by me, the heat melted loads of bitumen underseal which caught fire and started dripping on my chest. First I knew of it was when I felt the burns. Amazing how quickly you can shuffle out from under a car when your overalls are on fire....................

#12 ProDave

ProDave

Self build in the Highlands

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts
  • LocationScottish Highlands

Posted 10 April 2016 - 10:06 AM

View PostNos, on 10 April 2016 - 08:54 AM, said:

Don't weld in a shed, while charging a battery :blink: fortunately it was winter so was well wrapped for the acid rain. :mellow: Nos
My BIL did that, his tractor battery was on charge in the garage and he sparked up the welder. Singed his moustache so he said.

#13 recoveringacademic

recoveringacademic

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 10:41 AM

What on earth did welders do before light-reactive shields were invented? How on earth did you see anything?

#14 declan52

declan52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts
  • LocationCo. armagh

Posted 10 April 2016 - 10:55 AM

You didn't. Held the mask up when you sparked up and moved it up and down. Until about lunch time when you couldn't see anything past the white flash mark burned into your eye.

#15 ProDave

ProDave

Self build in the Highlands

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts
  • LocationScottish Highlands

Posted 10 April 2016 - 11:08 AM

The only time i was any good at starting the weld where I actually wanted it, was outside on a VERY bright sunny day, then I could just about see the workpiece through the mask.

#16 JanetE

JanetE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 12:00 PM

Ha, boys and their toys :P

#17 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 10 April 2016 - 01:01 PM

View Postrecoveringacademic, on 10 April 2016 - 10:41 AM, said:

What on earth did welders do before light-reactive shields were invented? How on earth did you see anything?
It is easy. You wait till your eyes mist over, similar to being in love i.e. you don't know about her wrinkles, then you see your optician and they send you off to hospital.
The hospital mucks you about for a year but eventually they put drops in your eyes, drills a hole though the outer layers and into yours lens. Then they poke a ultra sonic liquidiser (similar to a concrete vibrator) into your knackered lens. Once they have shaken it to a liquid they hoover it out, then slit the eyeball and twist in a new shiny bit of acrylic, which has fish hooks on it to hold it in place.
A few weeks later they do the other eye and after 3 months or so you can get new glasses.

That is what happens when everything goes well.
When it don't go well, you have to have a couple of general anaesthetic (I like them, I feel refreshed after) and you have to trust that they are not lifting that green smock and laughing at your manhood.
Then you find out they have screwed it up and you are left with wobbly vision for the rest of your days.

Still welding is fun and you can get a good suntan on your hands and arms, only wimps wear gloves. B)

Edited by SteamyTea, 10 April 2016 - 01:02 PM.

#18 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 10 April 2016 - 01:04 PM

View PostJanetE, on 10 April 2016 - 12:00 PM, said:

Ha, boys and their toys :P
Come on Janet, we know you really want a welder to play with ;)

#19 JanetE

JanetE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 01:44 PM

View PostSteamyTea, on 10 April 2016 - 01:04 PM, said:

Come on Janet, we know you really want a welder to play with ;)

Don't think I would be allowed to!
Only one man at a time :ph34r:

#20 joe90

joe90

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 02:17 PM

View Postrecoveringacademic, on 10 April 2016 - 10:41 AM, said:

Just guess work and arc eye !!!, however I have just bought an auto helmet and can't wait to try it out, can't believe it can darken quicker than light can travel? Going to site next Tuesday to plant 50 trees and weld up some stuff on my JCB . My planning should have passed by next Wednesday but just been informed the council have delayed it by another month because of a technical problem with the drawings ( that the architect got wrong and I did not spot it. ) :(