In November 2014 I ordered a few hundred bare root mixed hedging plants, all native species, blackthorn, hawthorn, field maple, wild rose etc. They were delivered early December 2014 and I'd arranged with a landscaping chap to both post and rail fence around the site and put in all the hedge plants inside the fence. For whatever reason, he didn't actually turn up to plant the hedge until the end of February 2015. I'd unpacked the bare root plants and kept them in the dark (inside the garage) with their roots moist (wrapped in damp hessian sacking and stuck in two wheelbarrows).
Around 90% of the hedge plants failed to come into leaf last year, not really surprising given that they were supposed to have been planted two months earlier than they really were. I was more than a bit annoyed with the landscaping bloke, so he's had no more work from me, I got another chap in to to the garden landscaping (and a very good job he's done too, David Rhodes, in Motcombe, Dorset, if anyone wants a good landscaper).
This week I've been clearing all the weeds and rubbish away from behind the fence, and was very surprised to find that the seemingly dead hedging has come to life. Plants that have been nothing but bare twigs poking out of the ground for over a year have grown new shoots up from near the base and seem to be doing well. At a guess I'd say that 75% of the plants I thought were dead have come back to life, having been dormant for well over 12 months.
I'm now carefully weeding around them all, to give them a fighting chance of getting established properly.
Just thought it might be a helpful tip for anyone planting bare root hedging; be patient and maybe "dead" plants will come alive after another year.
Edited by jsharris, 08 April 2016 - 09:08 AM.