ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Custom Build Offering In (postcode) SY14 7DF

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jayroc2k

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 02:46 PM

Custom build offering, serviced plot from £435k (incl planning and fees), final cost £800k offering a 'huge' saving of £95k vs. a developer built home.

From what I see, custom house build is for those who want to choose main features and leave the rest to the designer and limitations of the selected main house builder.

I personally don’t see any savings there, touting “savings” vs developer's new built house with a ‘new build’ premium is not really saving, savings should be benchmarked to cost of the house next door (in good condition of course).

But it has its market audience.

House nearby for comparison. Are houses really this expensive round this way?

Edited by joiner, 07 April 2016 - 06:14 PM.
Font size

#2 joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 07 April 2016 - 06:16 PM

See also...

#3 ferdinand

Advanced Member

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 04:25 AM

Does "from" mean that the £800k ones are the small semis?

Even if detached they are well over imo, as your comparator has a far larger plot, 5 beds and a detched double garage, not to mention 5 bathrooms.

I'd say they are more like £600-650k houses.

Developer is on a mug-hunt.

Edited by ferdinand, 08 April 2016 - 04:30 AM.

#4 SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 08 April 2016 - 06:48 AM

That Malpas buiding has rather a lot ceiling spotlights for my liking.

#5 jayroc2k

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 07:25 AM

I find that custom build offerings as well as plots with planning sold to developers all have one thing in common, very high GDV.

It's little wonder the term "speculation" is ussualy used to describe development.

Since I became interested in self build, I have noticed properties compelted until 12 months ago sold quickly. In the last six months it's seems to sit on the market for months (London).

Just yesterday, I read Barrat homes and others are now offering up to 15% discount if you buy 50 or more flats. Off plan sales saw the largest fall in sales in years.

In my opinion, if the price is right, it will sell easily!