ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Projector Furniture

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tonymontana1uk

tonymontana1uk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 10:55 AM

was at the gadget show this past weekend and saw a pretty cool bit of furniture that housed a projector with a motorised drawer, from which the projector pops up and beams onto a white wall.

this was the company supplying these:

http://www.cinecabinet.com/contact-us/

really liked it because it looked like a discreet bit of furniture and it would mean a room wouldn't be dominated by a tv, but the price was way too high and not justifiable £4500

i had a quick search and couldn't find any other suppliers offering anything similar

just wondering would it be possible to get such a piece of furniture custom made from a carpenter, would the cost be in the same ballpark?

Edited by joiner, 07 April 2016 - 11:20 AM.
Typos

#2 Alphonsox

Alphonsox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts
  • LocationCounty Down, NI and Forest of Dean, England

Posted 07 April 2016 - 11:11 AM

The cost seems to include the short throw projector and the motorised drawer. I guess whether or not you could get it made cheaper would depend on how much these elements would cost to source separately. (Does look good though)

Edited by joiner, 07 April 2016 - 11:20 AM.
Typo

#3 tonymontana1uk

tonymontana1uk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 11:46 AM

View PostAlphonsox, on 07 April 2016 - 11:11 AM, said:

The cost seems to include the short throw projector and the motorised drawer. I guess whether or not you could get it made cheaper would depend on how much these elements would cost to source separately. (Does look good though)

No it was a crappy Sony unit and i did ask the question, and the guy simply said if you wanted your own equipment then they would just knock £200 off the price

so yes not the best system

#4 Barney12

Barney12

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 12:02 PM

There are plenty of companies that will sell you lifts for screens and projectors.
Thus hiding away your AV kit is far from tricky these days.
Just google "tv lifts" or "projector lifts".

Personally I don't think the product you linked to its that clever, nor is it value for money. £4.5k would buy you a nice custom solution and lift which would be fully integrated into you home not a "big box sat on the floor". !

#5 Barney12

Barney12

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 12:06 PM

P.S. I really like the picture lifts that are available now which means you can hide your TV behind some artwork, V.COOL!

I.e. https://www.stoneaud... lift mechanism

#6 tonymontana1uk

tonymontana1uk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 12:13 PM

View PostBarney12, on 07 April 2016 - 12:02 PM, said:

There are plenty of companies that will sell you lifts for screens and projectors.
Thus hiding away your AV kit is far from tricky these days.
Just google "tv lifts" or "projector lifts".

Personally I don't think the product you linked to its that clever, nor is it value for money. £4.5k would buy you a nice custom solution and lift which would be fully integrated into you home not a "big box sat on the floor". !

View PostBarney12, on 07 April 2016 - 12:06 PM, said:

P.S. I really like the picture lifts that are available now which means you can hide your TV behind some artwork, V.COOL!

I.e. https://www.stoneaud... lift mechanism

Ooooooooo

stop giving me ideas :o)

thanks for the replies

feel you maybe right, i like the "big box on the floor" though as it could hide devices and reduce clutter and just have all cabling in the same area of the room

will keep researching i'm a few months away from actually purchasing a solution (need to buy the house first)

#7 AliG

AliG

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 05:24 PM

Tony,
I looked into these systems and decided they weren't really worth the bother and expense. We have a projector just mounted above the sofa on a pole that comes down about 500mm from the ceiling. Does it really need to be hidden away?

#8 tonymontana1uk

tonymontana1uk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 02:10 PM

View PostAliG, on 07 April 2016 - 05:24 PM, said:

Tony,
I looked into these systems and decided they weren't really worth the bother and expense. We have a projector just mounted above the sofa on a pole that comes down about 500mm from the ceiling. Does it really need to be hidden away?

i was thinking about hiding the devices connected to the protector unit, (sky box / ps4 etc), if there's a solution that can connect these discreetly without impacting usability then i'm more then happy to save the moey