ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Iot Nest And Revolv

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Mackers

Mackers

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationBanbridge

Posted 06 April 2016 - 09:35 PM

I'm running a Linux laptop using Mint. I use Oracle VM to run windows 7 for AutoCAD etc. Do any of you know how to get your graphics card working in it? It currently won't, only on the actual laptop running Linux.

#22 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 07 April 2016 - 09:50 AM

It seems the media are picking up on Google's decision to brick the Revolv units and stop them working:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-35984185

#23 gravelld

gravelld

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 12:04 PM

Google are getting a very bad reputation for withdrawing services of all types. You can understand it from their point of view, but you also need to be wary of using their services in case they get withdrawn.

Also, the reputation of Nest's senior team is taking a bit of a battering (has done for a good few months actually, really bad stories coming out from former employees).

#24 jsharris

jsharris

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 12:50 PM

I like this comment from one of the many the BBC article is attracting, by someone using pseudonym "hostile17" :

This is very typical behaviour of Google. They lose interest and move on to new, shiny things. They've done it a lot before and will continue to do it, which is why they shouldn't be trusted for business applications in particular. They have heaps of bugs and security issues, but are more intent on doing silly April Fool's. They're like children.

It sums up well my view of the company.

I used to think they were reasonably OK, until it became clear that they were not living up to their motto "Don't be Evil". I then went digging around and discovered some of their antics and changed my view. I started to avoid Google services when they removed the option to search the "UK Only" from the front page of their search engine, and forced you to click through a page of adverts before you had the option to narrow the search down to your region on the second page. I ceased having anything to with Google (to the extent of blocking every ad server and data collection address of theirs I can find) when I bought a Sony Tablet, running Android. I rooted it, and found loads of stuff going back to Google servers, so it now runs a "clean" version and any apps I want get side-loaded. I doubt it's 100% free of Google snooping, but it's better than it was as delivered by Sony.

Edited by jsharris, 07 April 2016 - 01:04 PM.
Edited to correct Google motto

#25 notnickclegg

notnickclegg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationHampshire/Surrey Borders

Posted 07 April 2016 - 12:55 PM

View Postjsharris, on 07 April 2016 - 12:50 PM, said:

I used to think they were reasonably OK, until it became clear that they were not living up to their motto "Do No Evil".

Their motto is actually "Don't be evil", which gives them a bit more wiggle room. I suspect they'd argue that occasional acts having an evil flavour don't make them evil overall if the rest of their behaviour is relatively good.

I'm not saying that they've achieved that balance, of course...

Jack

#26 jsharris

jsharris

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 01:04 PM

Thanks for the correction, I've been mis-quoting them for a fair time (comes from never knowingly visiting any Google website!).

#27 notnickclegg

notnickclegg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationHampshire/Surrey Borders

Posted 07 April 2016 - 01:33 PM

:D