ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Western Power - Yes They Really Are Austin Powers!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Barney12

Barney12

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 04:07 PM

Some of you may remember my slightly embarrassing Austin Powers moment....

http://www.ebuild.co...powers-yeh-baby

Well yesterday they turned up to move our supply from the old house to the new permanent meter box in a perimeter wall. The guy who was the team lead (two men) was properly miserable! Anyway I Ieft them to it as the sparky was there doing the connection our side (in boxes to the side).

My only input was a brief question which was:

WP: "Is this place 3 phase?"
Me: "No. single."
WP: "Well this is a three phase cable"
Me: Yes I know. Our drive is very, very long and I believe the previous owners had problems with voltage drop. Hence the cable."
WP: Oh OK. Hurrumph.

So that was that. I went about my busy day. 2 hours later they were gone (don't get me started on the cost of that 2 hours). so I open the meter box to look at my shinny new installation. See attached!

Just how shabby is that??? OK, so they couldn't bend the cable but really? They could have easily come up the back of the wall and in that way, it's all accessible. Obviously just couldn't be bothered to drill a hole! they didn't even attach the cable to the wall! OK, it will be stone clad in time but come on, its surely the basics?

Should I be concerned? I guess it's their box so their problem?

Attached Files

#2 ProDave

ProDave

Self build in the Highlands

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts
  • LocationScottish Highlands

Posted 05 April 2016 - 05:09 PM

That angled bit of wood (or whatever it is) is quite normal for an incoming cable that's surface mounted to a flush mounted meter box. They like to keep the supply head in the bottom left of the meter box come what may.

They seem to do the minimum they can. If you had installed a duct down inside your wall with a draw dtring they would probably have used the rear eentry and the supply head would be flat on the back of the meter box.

Why do you need 3 meter boxes? most of us make do with 2 of them.

Edited by ProDave, 05 April 2016 - 05:10 PM.

#3 Barney12

Barney12

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 05:18 PM

View PostProDave, on 05 April 2016 - 05:09 PM, said:

Why do you need 3 meter boxes? most of us make do with 2 of them.

Bigger is better :D No, I'm joking.
The first contains the SP&N's to the workshop (10mm SWA) and the garage/flat (25mm SWA).
The second is the SP&N to the temporary site supply which will eventually be the supply to the house.
My sparky did and incredibly tidy job I thought. Especially as he was working in the pouring rain under a tarpaulin !!Attached File  image.jpeg   20.72K   6 downloadsAttached File  image.jpeg   19.13K   5 downloads