ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Wireless Video Broadcast?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 07 April 2016 - 05:15 PM

you are too kind. at least that will give the monitor time to charge :)

#42 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 07 April 2016 - 06:40 PM

This is how I think you need to wire things up:

Posted Image

#43 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 07 April 2016 - 06:53 PM

View Postjsharris, on 07 April 2016 - 06:40 PM, said:

This is how I think you need to wire things up:

thats what i thought. and having just tried that again, I'm getting nothing :(

the part that concerns me is when the original camera is not connected but the transmitter is on it is saying "no signal" whereas surely it should just show a blank channel with no video being sent????
it is as if the "signal" is being sent through the drones original yellow cable not just the video part????

edit, assuming the camera in your diagram is my DVR. i need to get the camera to the DVR before i transmit it...if that makes sense

Edited by ConstructionChannel, 07 April 2016 - 06:54 PM.

#44 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 07 April 2016 - 07:29 PM

just for clarity the camera is going into the DVR it came with via the 20 m video and power cable it came with. the video signal i am trying to transit wirelessly it what is coming out of the v-out channel on the DVR.

#45 jsharris

jsharris

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 08:37 PM

I had misunderstood, but it should still work, as long as there is a video signal coming out of the DVR video out. The screen will go blue with no video signal, even if the transmitter is on, on some screens. In the world of FPV flying "blue screens" aren't loved, so some seek out ones that show the typical "snow" you get with no, or a weak, video signal on a TV, but it's probable that the screen you have does just go blue when there's no video on the carrier.

Without a 'scope to look at the signals at each end it's tough trying to work out why it's not working. No video coming out of the DVR video out seems the most likely reason, but there could be something odd in the quad circuitry that's turning off the transmitter when the camera it came with isn't connected. I've not seen behaviour like that on any of the cameras or transmitters I've used, but it's possible.

I do have a set of short range 2.4 GHz video links you can have. They probably don't have the range you need, as they are designed to just transmit reversing camera video to a screen inside a car, but they will work for 20m or more outside, with no obstructions. If nothing else, this will find out if video is coming out of the DVR as expected and can be displayed on a screen. These things work on 12V (both ends) and have phono plug connections. The set I have is surplus and is no use to me so you're welcome to them.

#46 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 07 April 2016 - 08:55 PM

you see this is the confusing part, i checked the signal coming out by connecting the V-out directly to camera input 2 of the same DVR (poked the bare wire in the BNC socket) and it showed what it should, an endless picture of itself,

I'm thinking the lack of blue screen is the problem, the yellow cable connecting the circuit board to what i assumed was the transmitter (post 28 pic 2) silver box is sending more than just the video image.
how much harm could i possibly do if i just start poking the V-out lead onto random connections on the drones circuit board?

#47 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 07 April 2016 - 09:00 PM

View Postjsharris, on 07 April 2016 - 08:37 PM, said:

I do have a set of short range 2.4 GHz video links you can have. They probably don't have the range you need, as they are designed to just transmit reversing camera video to a screen inside a car, but they will work for 20m or more outside, with no obstructions. If nothing else, this will find out if video is coming out of the DVR as expected and can be displayed on a screen. These things work on 12V (both ends) and have phono plug connections. The set I have is surplus and is no use to me so you're welcome to them.

I fear the postage would out weigh its value.
I really did order the package you linked earlier in the thread and come the 21st.....ish this will all have been a "waste of time"
issue is I'm curious now........ it should work :angry:

#48 jsharris

jsharris

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 09:07 PM

You could do a LOT of harm by randomly poking wires around. The composite video is referenced to ground, but floats as it's connected by a high value capacitor in series, usually. This has to be a high value, as the composite video lowest frequency is the frame rate, so this is often polarised capacitor. The video out will definitely not like being connected to any connection with more than a volt or so of DC on it, so take care.

I could easily stick a transmitter/receiver pair in the post tomorrow, with luck you could have them by Saturday. I doubt that they would cost more than a quid to send, as they are pretty small (they are very similar to these: http://www.ebay.co.u...jYAAOSwLqFV8SX9 ). I bought them to try and use them to wirelessly connect a CCTV camera, but found that they don't like working through walls and don't have much range, but they might prove whether or not your system can do what you want.

My email is jeremyharris, domain name mayfly.eu if you want them.

#49 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 07 April 2016 - 09:23 PM

heck why not ;)

#50 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 09 April 2016 - 04:01 PM

It made it :)
Now i just need to run to tool station to get an airline nail gun before i throw the works pasload in the pond. Its been fantastic until now, but as soon as I'm up a ladder with a full sheet of ply the poxy thing decides it doesnt want to fire :angry: . it just needs a service but i need to finish my boarding tomorrow so tool station is getting some more of my money.

Then i will get to mess about and see what is wrong with the video signal......

.....i live an exciting life :D