ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Wireless Video Broadcast?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 05 April 2016 - 04:59 PM

perfect, and been ordered, unfortunately it won't be here until the 20th, so plan for the moment is to butcher the transmitter like we planned before and just use the little screen on constant charge until the new receiver turns up...

I just don't know what i would do without you guys........... well i do, i would just add to my already huge collection wrongly ordered electrical bits. but this way is much easier

Thanks again

Ed

#22 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 05 April 2016 - 06:52 PM

Ed,

Here's a photo of my modified CCTV camera, with the quadcopter 5.8GHz video transmitter fitted inside the housing. Most of the space inside the alloy camera housing is just empty, the camera and IR lights are on a small circuit board on the front, that comes out when you under the two screws either side. I drilled a hole to take the antenna connector on the transmitter module fitted a plastic grommet and then screwed the antenna on from outside and it fixed the transmitter in place. The transmitter has several wires, but you can ignore some. There's a red for +12V and black for ground that can go to the camera supply and yellow for the composite video input that can connect directly to the video lead coming from the camera. I simplified the camera lead coming out of the back, it originally had a 12V power connector and a BNC video connector. I just removed the video cable completely and left the power cable (you can see the connector wrapped with self-amalgamating tape to weatherproof it).

Posted Image

On the other end, inside the house, I have a small compact flash DVR (around £20 or so on ebay) fitted to a plastic box with a 12V power supply in it. Behind the little 7" monitor there is an RC305 5.8GHz receiver, set to the same channel as the transmitter. The picture below has a very blue tint, something to do with the photo, as the picture on the monitor is very clear and the colours look normal. I have the video out from the receiver plugged into the video in phono on the DVR (you need a gender change adapter, with male phonos at each end, as the receiver is female as is the DVR). You may need to a lead to adapt the female phono from the receiver to a BNC for your DVR. I fed the video out from the DVR to the monitor, as the DVR does the date time stamp thing and also allows the motion sensing zones to be defined. The receiver has a second video output and I have fed that to a video to USB converter, so I can also record video on the PC, or send it to my web server when I get it set up.

Posted Image

#23 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 05 April 2016 - 08:07 PM

this DVR comes with built in "iCloud" software..... plug it in to a router and all i have to do is log in to watch my house from anywhere... :D ....this is never getting plugged into a router...

right now all i need it for is so i can "at a glance" see who just stopped at the end of the drive. but now i have bought the box and 4 cameras i wouldn't mind the ability to check if i hear someone pull up "round the back" hence the box being in the workshop and me sending the DVR video out back instead of just sending the one camera back.

on your own web server it will probably be very useful but giving a live feed of my house to a company just seems crazy to me.. :wacko:

Edited by ConstructionChannel, 05 April 2016 - 08:08 PM.

#24 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 06 April 2016 - 04:58 PM

Its not working and i don't know why :(

iv tried almost all combinations of wiring and the monitor just said no signal unless it is connected to its original camera....

currently i have a BNC to Phono adaptor in the V-out socket on the back of the DVR from that i have a yellow phono lead i cut off a PS2. the core of that is attached to the yellow wire that goes into the little silver box (the transmitter)
and i have tried connecting the black lead from the transmitter to both the outer wire of the yellow phono lead and to its original cable and however i try it the screen just says no signal,

change it back to the original camera and it works fine :(

any ideas????

#25 ProDave

ProDave

Self build in the Highlands

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts
  • LocationScottish Highlands

Posted 06 April 2016 - 05:02 PM

I don't suppose you have an oscilloscope?

#26 jsharris

jsharris

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 05:04 PM

Any chance of a close up photo of the wiring? I'm guessing here, but it may well be because the ground (0V) wire from the camera isn't connected to the ground (0V) on the transmitter. How are you powering up the CCTV camera and the transmitter unit, any chance of a sketch?

#27 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 06 April 2016 - 05:10 PM

2 secs

#28 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 06 April 2016 - 05:20 PM

this is the phono lead and adaptor that i had coming out of the V- out socket,
Attached File  IMG_1279.JPG   30.46K   6 downloads
and this is the leads i have cut on the transmitter, I'm powering the whole circuit board with a 7.4v Li-Po battery that i use in the drone.
Attached File  IMG_1280.JPG   49.28K   8 downloads

i have tried connecting them all ways and its just not working :(
the only thing i haven't tried is cutting the red wire???

Edit: I'm powering the CCTV with the lead it came with, and the transmitter with the battery

Edited by ConstructionChannel, 06 April 2016 - 05:23 PM.

#29 jsharris

jsharris

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 05:27 PM

Powering them separately is fine.

Do you have the black wire from the transmitter connected to the ground on the video camera output, as well as the yellow wire connected to the video out?

Edited by jsharris, 06 April 2016 - 05:27 PM.

#30 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 06 April 2016 - 05:31 PM

when you say ground, you do mean the outer cable on the yellow phono lead??

if so yes, well i tried it on both and even with all 3 connected but no luck.

#31 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 06 April 2016 - 05:48 PM

is there a way i could check that the phono is getting a signal?, I just tried it in NTSC and that didn't work either, but having the black from the transmitter going to the outer cable on the yellow phono, but the yellow from the transmitter going to its original camera did still work so I'm now wondering if the yellow phono is actually sending a picture???

#32 jsharris

jsharris

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 06:21 PM

Does the camera look a bit like the one in my photo, and have a video out and power in connector on the lead from it?

If so, then the video out should be standard composite video, I've yet to find any of these cameras (except the IP ones) that don't put out a 1V p-p composite video signal, even cat reversing cameras and the little board spy cameras use composite video.

Similarly, the transmitter module should also just accept composite video in on the yellow lead, I've played with a few and they have all been the same. I can't believe that this budget quad used non-standard parts, as standard composite video out board cameras are only a few pounds each.

#33 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 06 April 2016 - 08:56 PM

sorry about the delay, got dragged out for dinner... the camera looks similar ish but black and only about 3" long. on the bottom it says
IR color CMOS camera
4mm 900tvl
system:PAL
Power DC: 12v

I'm going to try and think of a way to check it is outputting, HDMI works as i have has it on my tv, but i want to make sure the V-out doesnt need to be selected in a setting somewhere

#34 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 06 April 2016 - 09:13 PM

well thats annoying, if i plug the yellow lead from the phono lead into the slot for camera 2 it works arrrrgh

as in the yellow lead has got a picture in it, it just doesnt seem to transmit.....?

Edited by ConstructionChannel, 06 April 2016 - 09:14 PM.

#35 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 06 April 2016 - 09:21 PM

and now the monitor has run out of battery and the charger is in the workshop. :angry:

#36 jsharris

jsharris

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 09:28 PM

OK, the good news is that you know that you've got video out, and you know that the transmitter works with the original quads camera, so it has to be something with the connectivity.

#37 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 06 April 2016 - 09:41 PM

I'm now wondering if i poke the yellow transmitter lead into the holes in the VGA socket, issue is the monitor dead :(

#38 jsharris

jsharris

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 06:34 AM

VGA isn't the same as composite video, as it has the separate components of the video signal on different pins. You can get small converter that will adapt VGA to composite video very cheaply though. I have a spare one here I could lend you, as I only use it for checking if a camera is working with an old PC monitor I have that has a VGA input. I don't need it really, as I now have a spare 7" composite video in monitor (as they were cheap from China I bought two, to have a spare in case one fails).

Edited by jsharris, 07 April 2016 - 06:35 AM.

#39 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 07 April 2016 - 05:09 PM

although that is a very kind offer unfortunately i don't think it is going to help as we already know we have a working composite video feed.
next question is where do you think it is setting the frequency/channel?
after i have charged this monitor a bit i am going to try to feed the video from the phono lead somewhere further back on the drones circuit board as its the only thing i can think of. when i change from the original camera to the phono lead there isn't even a blip it just goes to "no signal" which makes me think the channel is getting set before the silver box.......... any other thoughts as this is all i can think of to try... by all rights it should already work :(

#40 jsharris

jsharris

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 05:13 PM

The channel setting will probably be fixed, I doubt that you can change it as if you can, then usually there are DIP switches next to the transmitter module. The channel setting must be right as the original camera transmits video OK, and the camera is dumb, it just takes power in and squirts video out.

When I get home later I'll see if I can do a sketch of how the wiring should be.